Join our zoo community

If recently extinct species were brought back, which ones would fit zoos most?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Fanfin anglerfish, 17 Nov 2021.

1. Fanfin anglerfish

Fanfin anglerfish Well-Known Member

(Note: I don’t know where to put this because it’s a mix between fantasy and general zoo discussion)

I have been scrolling through lists of human made extinctions and I thought, what species that have recently gone extinct would be the best fit for zoos? Discuss about this. I don’t want discussion about dinosaurs or mammoths and smiledons.

2. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Aurochs.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  3. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Partula turgida. The last one died at London Zoo in 1994.

4. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The extinct subspecies of tiger (Caspian, Balinese and Javan) would be well suited to any zoo as their husbandry would be no different to the living subspecies of tiger; the same with the Quagga re. Plains zebra husbandry.

The Thylacine would be an exciting addition to any Australian precinct. It’s elusive nature doesn’t predispose it to a life in captivity, but captive born generations could potentially fare better than their historical counterparts - especially given the advances in husbandry over the last century.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Similarly, Partula faba - the last of which died at Edinburgh Zoo in 2016, and a species I was fortunate enough to see in the years prior to its demise thanks to the fact Bristol Zoo had them on-display until around 2013.

6. pendraig_milnerae

pendraig_milnerae Well-Known Member

Probably a few birds like the Dodo, Rodriguez Solitaire, Passenger Pigeon and maybe any of the Moa species, I’d imagine their welfare would be similar to that of their closest living relatives.

kermodei and evilmonkey239 like this.
  7. Randomname0183

Randomname0183 Well-Known Member

Species like Caribbean Monk Seal, Japanese Sea Lion, tarpan, Glaucous Macaw, the Patrula Snails, Rabbs' fringe-limbed treefrog and maybe even great auks could do well in captivity.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  8. Aardwolf

Aardwolf Well-Known Member

Considering how successful many zoos and breeders are with keeping extant ratites, I think that moas and elephant birds could have done well in zoos if they were still around.

And I second dodo. I think they would have been fun to have in walk-through aviaries, sort of like giant, flightless Nicobar pigeons.

9. Fanfin anglerfish

I think maybe Iiin-island cloudrunners? No one knows if they are extinct but they haven’t been spotted in a long time so they are classified using a different system called the “Lost species” . There is a high chance they are out there still but some zoos know about the care of cloudrunners.

10. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What about ivory-billed and imperial woodpeckers? They would likely be similar to pileated woodpeckers. Not sure how common those are in captivity.

Fanfin anglerfish likes this.
  11. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

I have a strong feeling like SeaWorld, Georgia, and maybe even Shedd would successfully hold Stellers Sea Cow.

12. Fanfin anglerfish

Other than needing 2x space they would be easy to keep.

13. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What do you mean by "recently" - years, decades, centuries, millennia ago?

An imperative is never a good way to start a healthy discussion.;)

14. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Woodpeckers in general are not that common in zoos. I assume that fulfilling the dietary and foraging behavior of both extinct Campephilus species would be quite demanding.

I would suggest Palaeoloxodon falconeri, giving even smaller zoos the chance to keep elephants.
    The two Mekosuchus species for zoos that want crocodiles but only build smaller ponds for them.
    The Haast's eagle, to make birds of prey flightshows a bit more thrilling, especially for smaller children.
    The elephant birds from Madagascar, to provide enough eggs for the zoo canteen.
    The Chinese Gibbon populations that lived in snowy areas, therebye making it easier for Northern zoos to keep Gibbons outdoors.
    Cylindraspis vosmaeri and Meiolania damelipi for the chelonian fans among zoo visitors.
    Lophopsittacus mauritianus, Rhodonessa caryophyllacea and Heteralocha acutirostris for the birders. ^^
    The Great Auk as an penguin alternative.
    Ardea bennuides to further rebirth.;)
    I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the warrah...

15. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Better not let the Taung child go anywhere near that show then.

kermodei and DaLilFishie like this.
  16. Fanfin anglerfish

I mean’t animals such as thylacines or sea-cows. The dwarf elephants, crocs, giant turtles I consider prehistoric.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2021
  17. Fanfin anglerfish

Nobody mentioned the madagascar tortoises. They only went extinct 3 century’s ago and would be similar to the Albardaba tortoises. Also the Warrah are now being considered as a introduced species and that they used to be humans on the falklands with their wolf companions until the humans went away and the europeans hunted the dogs that were left behind mistaken to be a wolf subspecies.

18. TeaLovingDave

And here we see a classic case of someone either inventing things off the top of their head, or adding two and two together and making five :p the Warrah were indeed close kin to an extinct species found on the South American mainland - Dusicyon avus - but diverged from said species around 16,000 years before the present, around 5,000 years before the first humans reached Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego, the closest regions of South America to the Falklands.

As such they were *not* a domesticated form of D. avus - which itself was neither a wolf nor a dog, and went extinct on the mainland around the 1700s, although there are scattered reports which suggest it may have survived in remote regions of Tierra del Fuego and Patagonia until the late 19th century.

19. TeaLovingDave

The Madagascar Giant Tortoise went extinct some millennia ago - you are thinking of the Mascarene Giant Tortoise species complex, which Batto cited and you dismissed as prehistoric :p

20. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Large woodpeckers are not common at all in zoos, they're very destructive to exhibits and furniture. I'm inclined to agree with @Batto that the Ivory-bill and Imperial probably are not good zoo choices.

TinoPup and Batto like this.