Join our zoo community

If Trump won the presidency, what would be the most searched on Google?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by lowland anoa, 4 Jul 2016.

?

Searched Results

Poll closed 1 Aug 2016.
  1. How to move to Canada

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Who is Trump?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Donald Trump

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Flights to Canada

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. How to become the President

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  6. What is wrong with the world

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh, I absolutely agree. My point was that the choice should be obvious and inevitable, rather than that the outcome is. I don't think Trump will perform a Brexit-type feat for a number of reasons, but then of course I didn't predict Brexit. Certainly, there are clear parallels in terms of voter demographic and rhetoric, which sadly mirrors similar movements across the world.

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

3. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Odds are I won't be surprised when I wake up tomorrow, typically I stay up until its all over on election night...though one year it didn't end of election night, or the night after that, or...oh God, and then we had bush. You know I thought things couldn't get any worse after the 2000 election but I was wrong.

I shall be heading off to get it over with in an hour or so, if anyone wants to tell me who to vote for this is your last chance.

4. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So apparently last night the website for Immigration to Canada crashed...
    Oh and the Donald won

5. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

America had the choice between a bad (liar) and a worse (liar, rude and incompetent) candidate and took the later.
    All I can say is: God bless America (no irony) - it will be needed.

6. temp

temp Well-Known Member

When you say Europe, do you mainly mean UK? Significant parts of the British media was staunchly pro-Brexit, but that hasn't really translated into full-blown pro-Trump. This despite the fact that Murdoch, of Fox News fame, yields some power in the UK media. Pretty much everywhere else in Europe (with the notable exception of extremely anti-Hillary Russian media) the pattern has been even clearer, overall pro-Hillary. A similar lean towards Hillary is mirrored in numerous polls of European countries, e.g.,

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2016/11/daily-chart-4
    Also interesting that among the far-right nationalist European parties polled, only UKIP gave Trump a lead over Hillary, although the Hillary lead over Trump was pretty small in the Sweden Democrats and France's National Front (not polled, but I strongly suspect Hungary's Fidesz party and Greece's Golden Dawn would have given Trump a lead too). In my current country of residence leaders of the local right-wing nationalist party called some of Trump's comments crazy, including some on immigration. Hint: If another country's far-right nationalist party calls your comments crazy, you might have gone too far!

Indeed, living in an EU country, having lived in another and having many contacts throughout the Europe I've heard many believing that Hillary would have been average (not great, but not awful either), but the vast majority shake their head when they hear Trump's name.

I really hope he will be a better President than many fear. His first speech after the result was quite levelheaded, especially when compared to some of the things that have been said during the campaign.

(what happened to candidate Joe Exotic :p )

Last edited: 9 Nov 2016
  7. Arizona Docent

Apparently it also crashed ZooChat, as the site was unavailable all morning! :p

8. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

My brain is telling me that whatever happens at this point probably won't affect me and my family in the long run. I'm still going to collage and my little sister is still going to high-school, and I'll be old enough to vote in 2020 or sooner.
    My heart is telling me to take a belt, find a tree and hang myself.
    I really, really hope he will be a better president than he has said he will. I'm praying that the thought of being in charge of the United States of America will finally snap in his thick skull and apologize to all of the people for all of the crap that he has said or done. Even better, I want to see him get kicked out. The projects that he wants to do is sheer ludicrous. This is a man who does not believe in global warming and wants to replace Obamacare so everything that Obama has worked so hard for in terms of being green and environmentally friendly and providing so many people with the care they need. He will not aid our European and Asian allies in battle unless they can pay him off. He wants to send so many people of so many minorities back to their countries when he will just be decreasing to amount of workers who will do this construction. He will not pay respect to women's rights and will set such a bad example for the daughters of our country. He has the mental capacity to think that everything middle-east related can be solved by starting WW3.
    This is going to be the worst four years of our lives. Where we see the environment move closer to destruction, America's reputation of the land of the free ruined, and the possibility of an American Brexit moves closer, and closer, and closer with each passing second. I really hope the U.S. learns when its time for the elections to happen again. Four years with this crap is just sounding more, and more painful on the inside with each second.

9. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I hope for your sake you are correct (assuming that your own good is what concerns you only).
    On the other hand remember the famous quote
    [​IMG]

Coelacanth18 and Arizona Docent like this.
  10. Arizona Docent

The presidential election is decided by an odd institution called the Electoral College which I confess I do not fully understand. On very rare occasion - and this is one of them - it means that more people voted for the loser than the winner.
    Hillary Clinton Beats Trump in Popular Vote

11. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

For those of you in the States: in Australia there have been 'leadership spills' in the last few years whereby if the party in power is not happy with the Prime Minister a vote within the party is called and the leader is replaced by someone else in the party.

In American politics is there provision for the Republicans to oust Trump if he gets carried away, and replace him with someone more moderate?

We also had a Prime Minister sacked 40 years ago by the Governor-General, but I guess you don't have one of those.

:p

Hix

12. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

No there isn't. We're stuck with him for four years unless he gets impeached and kicked out of office, then we're stuck with his equally bad vice president.

13. wensleydale

Well ,the Simpsons predicted he would be a one term president and that his term would be a disaster, so there is hope.

My heart was telling me similar things, except instead of hanging myself I am thinking of slitting my wrists.

14. Loxodonta Cobra

Yes, but to be impeached from the office it has to be the result of something that would cause mass anger and a surge of unpopularity of the president from the people. Essentially all the ape has to do is just be himself. And if not that, I'm certain, and I might get into trouble for saying this, that there are many people who would gladly like to put a bullet in Donald Trump's head. President or no president.
    What did the Simpsons predict would happen in his term? And better yet, who would be elected as the next president?

15. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

No, being impeached and removed from office means the office holder is charged with and convicted of a felony. That's never happened to a US president.

16. Loxodonta Cobra

Well then it's never too late to start.

wensleydale likes this.
  17. wensleydale

Then we would have Lisa Simpson. Go watch the episode "Bart to the Future" it will make you happy for 22 minutes or so, I know I will.

18. Arizona Docent

True no president has been impeached and convicted, but two presidents have been impeached and acquitted. They are Andrew Johnson and Bill Clinton. One president would almost certainly have been impeached and convicted, but he resigned (the only president to do so) before impeachment charges were filed. That of course was Richard Nixon.
    How Many President Have Been Impeached? Here's a List

19. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I chose the word 'comments' for a reason. I am honestly unsure of one person's residence as hey only referenced Europe, not a specific country. I suspect they were from the UK but cannot confirm. I'm not really trying to suggest widespread support so much as a lack of monolithic

Please understand that I am only trying to explain and contextualize, not to justify. I feel the system served it's purpose well until the recent era.

The electoral college was originally born from a few concerns:
    - Counting individual votes and gathering them was a slow and laborious process when the Constitution was written and it was a way to smooth the process along.
    - Keeping in mind voting was initially limited to white male property owners, there were concerns about having a 'fall back' if The People selected a poor candidate, and it was considered the electoral college could interfere if this became necessary.
    - It guaranteed equality between larger states and smaller states as well as more populous and more rural states. Smaller colonies didn't want New York or Massachusetts making all the choices, so to speak.

Hillary Clinton's popular vote lead was mostly due to high turnout in extremely populous areas like California and New York. Some may argue this is unfair by prioritizing the urban influences of a few larger states over the geographically larger rural ones. Obviously, many would argue true democracy would suggest whoever won the popular vote should be the next president.

The irony is the electoral college was created with the expectation it would keep out someone who could upend the system, in favor of a more experienced politician.

I have never been more ashamed to be an American than I am right now. A friend of mine is looking into real estate in Canada but I still have to complete my degree and I don't want to leave my family behind.

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I re-quote my post of 26/1/2016:

For what it is worth: I do believe the US Presidentials will vote in D(D)T come this winter if and when HC sticks with "unfit to rule" tack only. Unless she makes a run for "better pay" for all and particularly the not sufficiently well off and a credible ethos on what she would like to accomplish in the Presidency! It will be a real downer for all.

It has now become that reality! A matter of complacency on the part of the Dems and the slander mudslinging Neocon Reps. Only American voters have the power to vote in someone else. You did not do so …., nor even vaguely considered not voting for DDT or HC and voting for a 3rd candidate instead and making that a realistic alternative. If you had, we would not be in this mess right now with a sycophantic, narcistic TV cameo with no clue about politics (I wish Ross Perot were … about when it comes to straight talking). So common ... my US friends now deal with the fall-out and make sure you get a better Deal next time!

The real alternative would be to abolish money involved in putting on a power base for any Presidential selections and voting for more candidates on merit, which would make a 3rd party Independent candidate being voted in the more likely. I also personally do believe that a system based on a Federalised voting system by State instead of a popular vote across Country is not ideal … system, but we may disagree on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.