Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo If you could, how would you change Chester Zoo!

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Fallax, 8 Oct 2017.

1. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Haha! I'm quite short, yes :) I have seen them only once, but getting a decent photo would be nice.

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is my third and final posting about my ideas for the zoo (for the moment at least). I'm not going to comment on other peoples' ideas here, apart from saying that I liked some, laughed at a few and was utterly horrified by one or two. I should add that I have no problems with the current lion enclosure, as long as all the structures are sound.
    Now I want to suggest some radical changes. I don't expect that they will all be popular with regular Chester visitors: but I think that some of the problems that people have mentioned in this thread may need to be addressed by thinking outside the box.
    My main point is that the increasing number of visitors increases the need for better presentation, information and education. A guidebook would help a bit of course. The current system of talks by the presenters is of limited value, because the programme is complicated and there are only limited spaces where visitors can see the animals and hear the presenter at the same time. Better viewpoints and public address systems would help, but I think a part of the solution would be an educational animal show. I don't think Chester has ever done one, but many serious zoos do (for example Bristol, Regent's Park and Whipsnade in this country and many others abroad). I think that short show which would allow visitors to see animals in action and learn a little about them would be of great benefit, particularly on busy days.
    On the '2030 Vision' plans the former Heart of Africa site, to the north of the canal behind the giraffes and the Tropical House, is to become part of the Forest Zone. I wonder if it could eventually become a tropical African area, with new exhibits for the Congo buffalo, okapi, red river hogs etc - although probably without a huge single building like the original plan. I would also expect that if Chester chose to show gorillas again, they would have a new exhibit in this area too. If the giraffes also move to the new Savanna zone, somewhere between the hunting dogs and Islands, that will open up a large area for redevelopment, which could include the lemur island too. I would increase that area by filling in the canal from the Congo buffalos to the Coffee Shop because the canal has no real function now that the boat rides have ceased and it's just an obstacle for staff and visitors. I would prefer to keep the southern part of the canal and redevelope the two primate islands, replacing all the current wood and wire structures by a proper monkey house with indoor viewing for two large groups of monkeys.
    Then most of the old giraffe paddock could become an amphitheatre for the animal shows with a quadrant of banked seating on the foundation of the infilled bend of the canal.
    I think there are major question marks over the Tropical House and the old Ape House. I don't know their structural conditions, but they will either need to be demolished or totally refurbished within the next few years. That will inevitably involve the chimps too.
    My dream solution would be a new chimp complex elsewhere in the zoo, and a new group of bonobos on the old chimp island with a spacious new indoor area, perhaps including the old chimp indoor areas, now partially disused and partially used for off-show stock, along the southern wall of the Tropical House. I think that's quite enough speculation for the moment.

3. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Can someone please link the 2030 Vision pdf? I've been scouting ZooChat for 20 minutes with no luck!

4. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Just fixed that for you. :)

5. Fallax

What? Am I missing something?

6. SHAVINGTONZOO

No, no - just my personal hobby horse that a collection cannot be world class without a representative collection of mammals, by which I mean 100+ species.

7. JoeDK14

JoeDK14 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don’t know if I’m misread this but did someone mention clouded leopards being in the tropical realm. If so we’re would they go that has confused me slightly, could someone clear this up

8. Fallax

Oh, right. Chester has 79 species according to Wikipedia which is probably the least reliable source in the world but it says something.

9. Fallax

There is none in the the zoo as of current if that's what you mean. If you are talking about where they would go if there was any, well it would probably be in a new and refurbished Tropical Realm but in the current state I'm guessing one of the hornbill aviaries (former gorilla enclosures) because I don't know what else would be big enough unless we put a big net over the Giant Tortoise enclosure. The Hornbill could then move to EOTAF or Monsoon Forest.

10. JoeDK14

I know the zoo don’t keep them. I was just asking we’re about a they would go. Would knocking through both hornbill enclosures be better for them instead giving them more space

11. Fallax

Probably but chances are the Tropical Realm won't be around in the next 10 years or so.

12. JoeDK14

WILL be sad to see it go such an old and historic part of the zoo

13. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

It will, as with the cattle house and the giraffe house too, but sentiments shouldn't stop progression. Preservation orders for the Tecton buildings at Dudley zoo has caused so many problems for them.

14. gentle lemur

Listed building status is generally only given to relatively modern buildings if they have "architectural merit", in other words if they were designed by someone famous (like Lord Snowdon or Sir Hugh Casson) or a famous firm (like Tecton). Historically Chester never indulged architects in this way, so only Oakfield House and the stables (a k a the works yard) are protected.
    Knock 'em down as soon as they are no longer useful :D

bongorob likes this.
  15. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

For the record, they're now in two places since the youngster moved to the new (wooden-fenced) enclosure in the Tropical Realm - the original pair are still in the bird aviaries in Dragons (nee Islands) in Danger.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  16. JoeDK14

I’m very surprised that no one has mentioned about changing the old capuchin island. I know the aye-aye have the majority of the indoor accommodation but I would be tempted to build an indoor accommodation for cloudies and remodel the island so it’s fit for their purpose, if this wasn’t possible maybe the zoo could do the island up and use some of the canal round the edge to accommodate a species that also enjoys the water, just unsure what that would be.

17. Fallax

Pygmy Hippo? I think they will be at the bufallo and old tapir house though

18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I wouldn't hold your breath - I rather suspect the Cattle House is liable to be the next old structure up for demolition following the old Polar Bear exhibit (latterly EotE), all things considered!

19. SHAVINGTONZOO

My IZY Vol.20 tells me that at 31 Dec 1978 Chester had 134 mammal species, 232 of birds, 70 of reptiles and ampibians. That's what I call a collection!

(Note. The figures were almost certainly inflated by the inclusion of some domestic animals and even some wild species living within the grounds, but I'm sure it was still 120/ 220/ 70.)

And, at the same date Berlin ZG (i.e. West Berlin) listed 271 species of mammal! :eek:

20. gentle lemur

At that time there were probably 10 species of cat in the Cat House, at least as many rodents and small carnivores in the Small Mammal House, plus 5 species of bears, 2 races of tiger, wapiti, Przewalski's horses, striped hyaenas, sea lions, gnu, eland, lechwe, kangaroos, wallabies and pademelon, plus 2 races of gorilla, and about a dozen more species of monkey than now (albeit in much smaller groups). But the only lemurs were ring-tails, the only cattle were American bison and I don't remember any marmosets or pigs. The only domestics that I remember were Ankole cattle, highland cattle and Bagot goats.
    I am sure others can correct any mistakes I have made in this list :)