Join our zoo community

im opening a new zoo 2010 june/july need help

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by dom1989, 19 Nov 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I know shorts believe be they are not short but if you did know them you would understand the reason behind the name!

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Can ask who did your zoo inspection to get your licence?

Last edited: 19 Nov 2009
  3. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

I'm agreeing with most people on here. From what I've read, newquay Zoo has some great exhibits and quite a few unusual species to see. As of now your zoo has very few animals: servals and marmosets. Both species can be seen at the majority of both large and small zoos everywhere. Unless you create really amazing enclosures for your animals and/or obtain some unusual species I really doubt that this zoo will be a success.

I'm cautious as the time given isn't enough time to open a zoo, even of this size, with the amount of animals you already have. Since you're just now asking for information on where to get animals you'll still have very little in a few months.

4. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm sorry Foz, we're going to have to agree to disagree on the core of this debate. I agree it's wrong to ridicule people for the way they come across or user name in isolation but my criticism and scepticism arose because of the surrounding facts of the matter. People's spelling abilities vary (no-ones' prefect) and I'd never criticise that -I like to think the forums about effective communication, not an English exam.

However, I comp;etely disagree that I should be quiet and that it's wrong to question anything you think is incorrect or a lie. Otherwise the forum can quickly become infested with errors and becomes useless as a resource. I've been around on this forum long enough to remember the "Sebbe" debacle where everyone wanted to believe someone's (elaborate and well-weaved) fantasies so much that no one questioned the factual basis of the matter. To misquote a more famous man than I, "eternal vigilance is the price of a good forum".

If I'm wrong, I'll apologise and to make amends for my disbelief will be happy to pay three times the entrance fee if the project opens, as outlined, by July 2010. However until better proof arises I remain unconvinced.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2009
  5. Shorts

Shorts Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm ceasing comment on this matter now, it doesn't deserve the "oxygen of publicity", until dom1989 replies and/or backs up his information.

I don't want to get in squabbles with other people when my issues are really to do with the original poster and their "facts".

Time will be my/our judge.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2009
  6. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

Exactly, I actually am a Duck, who can't spell, called Ciaran.

More on the thread's point. I too am becoming sceptical that this project will work in the long run. I'm sorry to say it dom1989 but we, as well-wishers of course, need to see some hard evidence that you have done your homework and got all the permissions you need in order to build and develop this dream of yours. Otherwise we could be wasting our time recommending breeders, etc, for you. I really do hope it works out for you and I will keep watching this thread.

7. zelda

zelda Well-Known Member

I'd just like to offer warning to people who are anxious to work in this "zoo." Think about the long term opportunities provided by someone who has no intention of joining BIAZA and would rather use breeders then contact other zoos for surplus animals. Will your experience gained there really look good on your CV? Is he likely to pay for your CPD? How will you stay in the loop with other zoo's when the owner isn't interested? And then there's the whole issue of working for a misleading employer. I do not want to get involved in the discussion about whether he's lying about various things or not, but the fact is he said in his first post that he had a zoo licence when there's no way a licence would be granted on an unbuilt zoo.

8. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I haven't been to Cornwall/Devon or the Newquay Zoo, so I can't comment on most of what has been posted above. I'm also aware that it's a lot easier to get a zoo license in the UK than it is over here.

My main concern is this: it is obvious from his first post that dom1989 is not an animal person and is not affiliated with any zoos. This worries me greatly.

He talks about "a small zoo and Adventure Park". From what I have seen, when you have an Adventure Park (which will probably end up being the main attraction to visitors) you'll find that management put more funding into the Adventure Park than the animals, because the park is where the bulk of the profits are derived. And you eventually end up with a motley little menagerie.

I'm not suggesting dom1989 is a fantasist, or a liar. I believe he is telling the truth.

I just don't think he should be building a zoo as he doesn't know what he is doing or what is involved. And I feel that profits are the real driving force behind his plans.

Just my 2cents worth.

:p

Hix

9. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

I think this is a bit of a wind up! can you post some pics of what you have done so far? If this is genuine I will apologise. Ive seen posts like this before though

10. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

I am also thinking that this is a lie.

Can I just ask Dom1989 about the primates he mentions and how big is the site?

If you cant provide evidence or reason then i have to say that your a time waster. :D

11. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Zooleopard, read through the thread again as it answer your questions.

Also the last statement, is that linked to the questions you have asked?

12. easytigger

easytigger Well-Known Member

I saw this thread this morning but didn't get a chance to reply before going to work so was looking forward to seeing how it had developed, and I haven't been let down, best laugh I've had in ages.

So let me get this right for £800,000 you have purchased the land, acquired all paperwork licenses, insurance etc. Built some enclosures and acquired a serval and 2 pygmy marmosets?
    So of course you have put in service roads, paths around your zoo, got planning permission for your animal houses, barns, toilets, giftshop, cafe, car park etc. yet no one on this site has heard of this business venture right?

£800,000 is not a vast sum of money and would easily be swallowed up not only by things already mentioned but by little things, tills, computers, phones walkie talkies good quality padlocks, brooms, wheel barrows, tractors, trailors, freezers and cold stores the list is endless, and we haven't even got on to acquiring animals and transporting them yet!!

I do hope you have a big bowl of corn flakes when you wake up from your dream!!

13. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

There seems to be a lot of doubt about this project: but I thought that in the UK Planning Permission info was public record and so anyone could check up on these claims if they wished. No?

14. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It would appear that Dom1989 may have left the building.

15. ZooLeopard

bit confused here taun...There is no mention of the 'primates he mentions?

Does dom1989 mean the marmosets? Also didnt see the 20 acres :(

If it is true then i would suggest that he creates a botanical/bird garden. Different from Newquay and cheaper probably! Also add some attractions for young children such as bug/snake handling. Its up to you :D

16. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Yes, otherwise am sure he would of mentioned more! ;)

17. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

It really does look like dom1989 has gone AWOL! So, if he was lying, it begs the question 'what was he trying to achieve by creating this thread?'

18. redpanda

redpanda Well-Known Member

I think the non-believers have it. According to his profile, dom1989 was last active three hours ago so it's safe to assume that he was lying and, when returning to the site today, realised he could not back up what he's said.

Then again, he might have actually been Johnny Depp all along and is simply too busy filming at the moment to continue this discussion ;)

19. ZooLeopard

haha redpanda. made me chuckle! :D

20. Vulpes

Vulpes Well-Known Member

I wonder do any real celebs post on here????lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.