Join our zoo community

Indian Mongoose in the UK

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by justinea, 20 May 2014.

1. justinea

justinea New Member

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any Indian mongoose exhibits within the UK? I am looking for a high profile wildlife documentary and we'd like to film with a tame Indian Mongoose.

Thanks so much

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There are no Indian Mongoose in captivity within the UK at all, and in point of fact very few in Europe; there is a single animal held at Zoo Heidelberg in Germany and, I believe, one or two animals in private collections. The only other alternative is to visit the United Arab Emirates, which has a few collections holding the species.

3. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Heidelberg Zoo tries since years to get a female for its single male-unfortunately, not yet with any success.I think, it is not a problem to import them from India, but the costs for that would be massive just for an animal, which is very similar to banded mongosse, or, of course, merkats...so why import them ? They are not endagered.

4. justinea

justinea New Member

Hi,

Thanks for the info, we are looking into the myth of the mongoose eating the Chota Chand plant: giving the Indian mongoose "immunity from cobra venom" It has been recently proven that the Chota Chand plant can be used as an anti venom in new scientific studies..cool ey?