Join our zoo community

Indianapolis Zoo Indianapolis Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by Kudu21, 2 Jan 2011.

1. DAKFan

DAKFan Active Member

Please give the exhibit a chance. Are there different things the money could have been spent on? Yes, but this is what they went with and I am taking it for what it is: a huge exhibit the zoo needed.

Speaking as a member of Indy Zoo this is something the zoo needed. Whether or not the exhibit should've been designed like this I don't know. It really is huge in scape and will draw crowds, then maybe they can get the funds for the komodos, lion redo etc.

2. Otter Lord

Otter Lord Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Even from an architectural perspective, the building looks hideous and over-done. The interior visitor space doesn't look special either. What is the concept? What is the building portraying? Build it big and they will come? Seems nonsensical to me...

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I agree.
    From the photos and renderings I admit I do not understand it. But that is my limitation. The proof is in the animal experience and visitor experience. Can't judge a space without walking through it and observing everyone who is using it, how it sits in the greater landscape, etc., etc.
    Video walk-through
    http://www.thestarpress.com/videone...ternational-Orangutan-Center-Indianapolis-Zoo

So maybe it's the love child of "Realm of the Red Ape,' "PECO Primate Center" and the O-Line. Don't ask me about the mechanics of that coupling

4. Zooplantman

Actually, there is a huge amount of steel and curtain walls here. You can see where much of the money went

5. Gulo gulo

Gulo gulo Well-Known Member

I agree, ZPM. They've also claimed to have used green construction, which is not cheap. Everything factors in with the hefty price tag. Did I hope the Orangs had access to the beacon and green roof? Of course. It would be like the Orangs had a grass knoll to rest on. It will draw crowds. It will generate money via the ride. It's a win for the Zoo. Adds another area to rent out and for visitors to escape the cold of winter and heat of summer. Parents will enjoy it, kids will love it. We can all point fingers, and say things about it, but what do we know? Absolutely nothing. :D

6. reduakari

reduakari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From the videos, photos and even journalist's descriptions published to date, it seems that while vast areas of glass has been used, little or no attention was paid to the basic principles of avoiding or minimizing reflection. This is not an uncommon problem in architect-driven zoo exhibits, but seems to have been taken to "new heights" in this complex.

7. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Orangs Rocky and Knobi escaped their enclosures. Rocky was on the lose for 30 minutes before he was found after disabling a webcam. No info was in the article about Knobi's escape. Everyone is back in and they were never near the public.

Orangutans escape primary enclosure at Indy Zoo | WISHTV.com

8. TZFan

9. TZFan

10. DAKFan

DAKFan Active Member

Exhibit is almost completed.

Attached Files:

11. uszoo

uszoo Well-Known Member

- Looks much better than I thought it would. There is so plant life around the exhibit that will eventually grow in. It is not naturalistic at all, but orangutans are one of the hardest animals to create a exhibit for in captivity.

12. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Four warthog piglets, two males and two females, were born on May 1st and are now on exhibit.

13. Zooplantman

Why do you say that?
    I do feel they are very difficult to create something on the order of Congo Gorilla Forest that works with orangs, but that is not to say it is difficult to create a good exhibit for them: there are several fine ones around (just no GREAT one, IMO)

14. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In addition to the warthog piglets, a look at the zoo's page on animal births reveals that Rainbow Lorikeets, a Ring-Tailed Lemur, and a Cockatiel have been born this year.
    Indianapolis Zoo Zoo Babies

15. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Do you want to visit the Orangutan Church on a Saturday? Then expect to pay a whopping $26, a huge fee for a zoo that can be seen in a few hours. If you go in the week then the entrance fee can drop down to $16 in a bizarre new ticketing system.

Indianapolis Zoo raising admission fees on busy days

16. TeamTapir223

TeamTapir223 Well-Known Member

This is a ticketing system that is currently being utilized throughout Major League Baseball.Its called Dynamic Pricing ! Weekend games will cost more than week day games.A game vs a team like the Yankees will cost more than one vs Royals.In 2013 despite ranking 30th in attendance my hometown team in Cleveland turned a profit in ticket sales using this format.The general public hates this system and has often bashed ownership both through the media and social media.We are surprised to see this in a zoo and are also pretty disappointed to see it.We have serious doubts that this will work for a zoo.Total garbage in our opinion!

Team Tapir223

17. groundskeeper24

groundskeeper24 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Been to this zoo several times. It's nice, but it's not a 26 dollar zoo. Seriously, I could go on a Saturday, pay an exorbitant amount for admission, and deal with huge weekend crowds; OR I could wait until I get a weekday off, pay less, and deal with fewer visitors. Sounds like a pretty easy decision to me.

18. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

As has been commented in the orang house gallery thread - $26 is not at all expensive by the standards of the UK or the Netherlands.

Indianapolis' new highest entrance fee is about on a par with Yorkshire Wildlife Park's £15.50 and around US$15 less than adult entry at Whipsnade.

UK examples (single adult, at-the-gate, peak season):

Dudley: £14, approx $24
    YWP: £15.50, approx $26
    Blackpool: £15.99, approx $27
    Edinburgh: £16.50, approx $28
    Twycross: £16.95, approx $29
    Chester: £22, approx $37
    Whipsnade: £23.50, approx $40
    London: £26, approx $44

All of these are 'traditional' zoos (not theme parks).

I guess it's all about what you're used to!

:D

19. DAKFan

DAKFan Active Member

The ride that circles around the orangutan building has had significant setbacks. It still has not opened and will not open till later in the summer. A few weeks ago 2 of the ride gondolas crashed into each other. One of the hanging gondolas suffered a mechanical failure and lost brake function and/or traction on the track. It came crashing down the decline portion of the track and crashed into another gondola underneath the loading area. All of the motor units were taken off the track and examined.

No news or updates have been released by the zoo about the incident. It's thought State of Indiana ride inspectors were made aware of this but it is unknown if they have done anything about it.

20. TeamTapir223

TeamTapir223 Well-Known Member