Join our zoo community

India's Lion population up 27%

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Macaw16, 12 May 2015.

1. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member

2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

The news that I really want to hear about Asiatic Lions is a release to another national park somewhere. There's only so many lions that Gir Forest can sustain and this number may already have passed with this population size.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member

Very true. This isn't really good news unless some translocations really do take place. The population has been at capacity or even overcrowded in the Gir Forest for many years now already, so this population increase is almost like bad news for them at present. Still no moves have taken place yet, despite being talked about for several decades now.

4. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member

Surely the majority of them will be inbred, or eventually will be, if they only originate from about dozen, so starting a population elsewhere with some wild stock and some zoo stock might help, would this be the case?

5. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

Starting a population elsewhere is what is needed. It's probably the best thing that can be done at the moment to help wild Asiatic Lions. I don't know how inbred the wild population is, I would think it would be to a certain extent with the twelve individuals but the European zoo population is very inbred so I don't think a mixture of zoo stock and wild stock is necessary or even desirable. What needs to be done is move some of the animals from Gir Forest to somewhere else. Easier said than done, I realise, but as long as I can remember the authorities have been faffing over this and it needs to be done.