Join our zoo community

Indoor tropical exhibits

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by MinxFox, 19 Feb 2011.

1. MinxFox

MinxFox Member

I really love those giant indoor tropical exhibits...You know the ones with the glass roof kind of like a giant greenhouse or something...Although unlike pretty much everyone here I have barely been to any zoos and the ones I have been to are not very amazing so I have never really gone into a indoor house. Even though I have never seen one in person I like looking at all the pictures here and would love to know more about them...

1.Okay so how tall are the indoor tropical exhibits generally?
    2.Then I was wondering how the heck they even go about laying it out and making it look so wild?
    3.What is the price range for how much it cost zoos to make a good indoor tropical exhibit?
    4. What are some of the plants they use in these exhibits (ex. tree ferns)?
    5. What do you think is key for great tropical houses?
    6. Do they try to regulate the temp. or do they not have to?
    7.Finally what ares some good indoor tropical houses you would recomend?

I really love tropical exhibits they look so amazing!

2. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

I can try to answer some of these, at least for Omaha's Lied Jungle.
    1.80 feet tall
    2.I honestly have no idea
    3.$15 million
    4.Plants can be real or fake, from trees, vines, ferns, flowers, bushes, and more.
    5.Imo, free-flying birds and small animals, with a few larger animals.
    6.Temperature regulation is essential for most that I know of, due to cold climate during winter of year round.
    7. Omaha, Bronx, Sedgwick County are all good

3. MinxFox

MinxFox Member

Yeah the Bronx is really pretty from the pictures I have seen. Wow 80ft tall that is awesome! Thanks for the help!

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Hard to give you answers because the possibilities are so large. How tall? From 15' to 90' (there are concepts for even taller ones). What plants? Depends on what is available, but a variety of plants from whatever part of the world (S. America, Asia, Madagascar mostly..Africa is less common) is being exhibited. Cost? From a couple of million US$ to $150 million (so far these more ambitious ones haven't been built).
    The big issues often are around getting temperature, humidity and light levels correct. Those needs are at odds with energy efficiency. So horticulture and architecture do a lot of negotiating.

I don't know where in FL you are, but there are some (without animals) in your region. A TOUR OF THE WERTHEIM CONSERVATORY for example, or Callaway Gardens in GA

5. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Chester Zoo's Tropical Realm is one of my personal favourite exhibits:

http://www.zoochat.com/42/inside-tropical-realm-chester-17-07-a-161917/

http://www.zoochat.com/42/tropical-realm-21-04-2010-a-146045/

http://www.zoochat.com/42/tropical-realm-21-04-2010-a-146043/

http://www.zoochat.com/42/chester-zoo-tropical-realm-1985-a-126568/

The House was built in the 60's I think? It currently houses many species including Gila Monster, Tuatara, Emerald Tree Boa, Philippene Crocodile, Many species of Hornbill, Victoria Crowned Pigeon and atleast another 20 bird species.

The list of species in this building goes on and Im sure other more knowledgable members on the building will be able to provide more information.

6. Zooplantman

And then there's The Eden Project (no animals) at £57m and 55m tall

7. MinxFox

MinxFox Member

I'm in Pensacola. Wow yeah the Chester Zoo's Tropical Realm does look really beautiful. I really like looking at pictures of the Bronx Zoo's Jungle World, so far that is one of my favorite exhibits.

8. Zooplantman

9. MinxFox

MinxFox Member

Wow thanks those are great! Man I wish I could grow lots of tropicals here. Even in zone 8 it is limited for what tropicals we can grow. It is just amazing how awesome zoos are with landscaping and everything.

10. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The best :p (link will probably answer all your questions)

ZooLex Exhibit

11. MinxFox

MinxFox Member

Ah I love zoolex thanks for giving me that link. That does answer a lot of questions. It is really interesting about how it is a mini ecosystem and how they went about planting it and how they had to get certain things to control bugs and everything. The pictures are great too!

12. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The photos probably make them look nicer than they do in person. In my experience, these indoor rain forests are generally pretty bad (my opinion).

13. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I know its your opinion,but I would suggest you visit Burgers Bush as it is actually pretty good,and my well change your opinion!!

14. KCZooFan

KCZooFan Well-Known Member

I would say the same for Omaha, and its a little closer to home for AD.

15. dreamingspider

dreamingspider Member

if you ever get a chance to go to the illinois, chicag zoo. the green house isn't big but its nice. the zoo is tec free, they rely on donation's. though i do think that some of the animal's are not all that happy. but then again the weather was pretty ugly when i went. but they have the biggest rabbits i have ever seen.

16. dreamingspider

dreamingspider Member

oh just thought about it.

the san diago zoo has a big in bird in closure with plant, just can't remember if its completly enclosed or just netted.