Join our zoo community

Institutions/Individuals Willing to Fund a Project for In situ Conservation of (Egyptian) Vultures?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Nikola Chavkosk, 15 Dec 2016.

1. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Hi Zoohatters,

Do you know some institutuons/foundations/individuals from EU, USA, Switzerland, and other countries, that would be willing to fund a project for in-situ conservation of Egyptian and other vultures in R. Macedonia (because there is no help from the stupid Government in the last 11 years, but things will hopefully change with the eventual new Government ellected this December - not yet clear who will take the lead) , with main goal of this project to be feeding of vultures in the wild, carried out by a non-profit organisation.

-Feeding would take place in several special locations - feeding stations for vultures, as for example 10x10 metres fenced places (on a public or private land on hills and/or near villages in hot spots);
    -Fencing is primarly for prevention of entry of other (bigger) animals that can consume the carcasses (or parts, like from dead livestock or dogs, of course not-died from infectious diseases needing official report to veterinary authoritues), leaving them to be reached only from the air by flying vultures;
    -Feeding would be on a regular basis, and the process can be monitored and vultures seen (bird watching) gethering on the fenced ground - tourist attraction?
    -One of the main reason of declining of vulture population is lack of food (other reason - poisoning with lead shots - how can these still not be banned in 21st century!). Feeding of vultures would boost the population on a long term time scale.
    -Another goal of such project would be building adequate facility for treatmen of eventually injured or poisoned vultures, and eventualy captive breeding and introducing back into the wild.
    -Do you think this is a genial conservation idea for boosting vulture populations?

-I was asking this in the past 1-3 years from EAZA or some EAZA zoos, but unfortunately I didn't get positive answer, and zoos spends millions on concrete enclosures or on luxury non-essential things.

-There are just about 40 Egyptian vultures (Western subspecies) left in this country, mainly living in the South region of Mariovo near Greek border. The number of Griffon vultures is about 80, and both species population had declined by 50% in the last 15 years. The project can be expanded to in situ conservartion of other animals, like marbled polecat!

-Such projects should even be funded from gun- and lead-shots -producing companies because they are doing harm to wildlife.

Please propose some institutions that would be willing to do this if you know such, thanks.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2016
  2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nikola Chavkosk likes this.
  4. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Thank you Kifaru Bwana and Batto; I have already requested the idea to the BVAP, but I couldn't open the Bwana's link, but I will try to find them in the next 20 hours.

-I am ready to distrubute died animals or their parts, like donated died pet or feral dogs (of course not treated with highly-toxic-for vultures diclofenac), to the eventual feeding stations on each two days. It is important for Egyptian vulture to get internal organs on a regular basis, because its featherless skin on his head indicate that it needs internal organs (liver) in particular (?) :)
    -This work would be relaxing, driving through wild places.

Last edited: 15 Dec 2016