Join our zoo community

Interesting/Little Known introduced populations

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by birdsandbats, 3 Jan 2018.

1. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Most people just call in South East Queenslander call them “plovers”. They are a very common bird, often nesting on roundabouts, sports grounds, traffic islands and school ovals. They are one of the few examples of animals that have benefitted from urbanisation, as clearing as led to more wide open spaces where they nest.

Great Argus likes this.
  2. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

How many eastern Australian birds have introduced populations in Western Australia? The ones that I know of are Laughing Kookaburra, Red-browed Firetail, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Long-billed Corella, and Rainbow Lorikeet. Didn't Musk Lorikeets used to have a feral population in WA, too?

3. Cassidy Casuar

The Common Moorhen on Saint Helena is an interesting case; apparently, nobody is sure whether it is a native species that colonised the island under its own power, or an introduced species. Perhaps both cases are true, because it is claimed that the species was introduced to Saint Helena in about 1930, but it is also claimed that the species existed on the island a very long time before then.
    In any case, the Common Moorhen is apparently very scarce and secretive on Saint Helena, and there are no eBird reports of the species on the island.

Last edited: 21 Sep 2019
  4. Cassidy Casuar

This video claims that the feral Squirrel Monkey population in Florida has been reduced to three males.

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The Florida DNR now lists them as extirpated.

Cassidy Casuar likes this.
  6. Cassidy Casuar

That website seriously needs to have more specific categories. The Blue-and-yellow Macaw, which does have a small feral population in Florida, should not be in the same category as the Hyacinth Macaw, which has probably only ever been a very infrequent escapee there.

7. Yoshistar888

Yoshistar888 Well-Known Member

While researching today I found what will most likely be the most shocking and out of no where discovery on this page and although it is not confirmed many people believe this including one of my family members who saw one almost 30 years ago. There have been reports of these animals from the 90’s all the way to recent 2017 and possibly more sightings.
    This unconfirmed population is usually sighted in The mountainous areas of central Victoria (Australia) but sometimes in NSW too. The animal I am talking about is large and secretive and in its melanistic form.

I’m talking about the puma.

If you don’t believe me I will post links of articles of this some old and some recent. Including one with a photo.

Yet according to my research there may be a small, and secretive population of wild pumas in Australia.

8. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

Nothing about this is shocking nor convincing. Phantom big cats in Australia are a very well reported claim. However this thread is for proven, factual introduced species. There are other threads on this forum dedicated to those who who find interest in speculation on the existence of mystery big cats.

9. Cassidy Casuar

There is a population of Indian Peafowl around Lake Moondarra; western Queensland, that is apparently feral. Presumably they will eventually be eradicated? I know that that often is the procedure that follows when feral peafowl populations are discovered in Australia.

10. Cassidy Casuar

House Finches in Greece?

11. Cassidy Casuar

I was surprised to learn that the Eurasian Magpie is not native to Japan; it was introduced to the island of Kyushu in the late sixteenth century, and it has yet to establish on any of the other islands.
    I suppose that that is a testament to the magpie's reputation of having very limited dispersal ability.

12. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. Cassidy Casuar

Another introduced monkey population is the Stump-tailed Macaque population on an island in a lake in Mexico.

drill and birdsandbats like this.
  14. Cassidy Casuar

I have since learned that this might be incorrect. There are plenty of reports of magpies in Japan away from Kyushu, but I can't find anything about whether these actually represent breeding populations away from Kyushu.

Also, there is a Japanese book which claims that feral populations of Turkeys, Bobwhite Quails, and Canada Geese exist in Japan; all species have zero records from Japan on eBird.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2019
  15. drill

drill Well-Known Member

What happened?

16. Cassidy Casuar

What do you mean by that?

17. drill

drill Well-Known Member

How and why were Stump-tailed macaques introduced to Mexico?

18. Cassidy Casuar

They were introduced for research, apparently. Research seems to be the reason for a lot of the intentional primate introductions.

drill likes this.
  19. Cassidy Casuar

Fiji has the unfortunate status of having not one, but two introduced mongoose species; the Small Asian Mongoose and Indian Brown Mongoose.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  20. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can't remember who first mentioned them, but I think the Chestnut-fronted Macaws in Florida are gone. However, Blue-and-yellow Macaws seem well-established.