Join our zoo community

Interesting/Little Known introduced populations

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by birdsandbats, 3 Jan 2018.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Can you provide any evidence of this? I have never heard of Electric Eels being established in Florida.

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Here's one I found out about yesterday, Indian civets in Madagascar.

4. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Now this is very interesting indeed, I'd not heard of these either. A quick google reveals multiple references to them being introduced (including a webpage with a trail camera photograph of one taken in Madagascar), but no information on range, population or when they first arrived. Anyone have more information on these?

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

6. Chlidonias

7. vogelcommando

8. vogelcommando

9. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

While not directly introduced by humans, I think we could mention Golden jackal as an example of a species that currently increases its range explosivelly and it probably is indirectly caused by humans. By intensive agriculture, deforestation and eradication of wolves in large part of Europe, we have prepaired an ideal living niche for this species. And it decided to make use of it.

German Zoo World likes this.
  10. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think there has been confusion with Asian Swamp Eels (which like Electrics aren't eels either).

11. Chlidonias

That was my initial suspicion as well, because I have seen articles about using electric fishing to control the Swamp Eels.

12. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

My suspicion was aroused by the the same word useage!

13. vogelcommando

BenFoxster and birdsandbats like this.
  14. vogelcommando

15. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

While interesting, it don't match with the purpose of this thread, that is about introduced species :)

16. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Doesn't it?

According to the article: "One theory as to why they are being spotted more often in Northern European countries is due to climate change - drier conditions in France, Spain and Portugal are pushing them northwards."

The overwhelming majority of experts agree climate change is anthropogenic. If we define introduced species as populations outside their native range as a result of human activity, you could argue these birds count (or may in the future).

17. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I think you'll pull a muscle stretching like that :p

Quite apart from anything else, the main reason why species naturally expand their range is climate change, or factors arising from said. As such, defining all taxa whose ranges have expanded naturally as "introduced" is pushing the term beyond usefulness in my opinion. For instance, this line of reasoning would mean that Collared Dove - an south-central Asian species until the 20th century, when irruptions led to rapid colonisation of Europe - is an introduced species.

On a slightly different note, in the case of the ibis I suspect a decent case could be made that at least some of their northward expansion is recolonisation into formerly-native territory, given the fact that several other wetland birds such as Little Egret, Great Egret, Spoonbill and Common Crane have followed similar trends since the end of the Little Ice Age in the mid-19th century - a time period whose onset in the early 14th century does tally with the original loss of these species from northwestern Europe.

18. Giant Panda

Giant Panda Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Aha, but you could make the same argument for any introduced species. Island endemics, for example: the main reason why terrestrial species naturally expand their range to oceanic islands is translocation. So, what's the difference between vegetation rafts, hitchhiking parasites, etc. and humans releasing rats, goats, and rabbits on the Galapagos?

The key point, I think, is the impact new arrivals have on existing communities not adapted to them. From that perspective, it doesn't matter whether the invader arrived on a cargo ship or warmer currents.

19. vogelcommando

Are they realy wild birds or maybe escapeds ? Glossy ibisses are kept in good numbers ( at least at mainland European collections ( both public and privat ) and the birds were observed first afther a heavy storm which could have destroyed - next to a lot of other things - also aviaries in which - for example - Glossy ibisses were kept. Would be intresting if ( some of ) the birds have rings....

20. vogelcommando