Join our zoo community

Interesting/Little Known introduced populations

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by birdsandbats, 3 Jan 2018.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just heard about Moose in New Zealand! @Chlidonias How much do you know about this?

I didn't read that article until just now, but after reading it I do agree they are not truly wild.

2. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don’t know. Maybe not free-ranging...but if they are not managed, feed and breed on their own, and live outside year round? As wild a population as lives in many protected areas in their natural range. Or as wild as many bison and wapiti populations in North America. I’d say that legally the animals are probably considered livestock, but otherwise they meet four of the five criteria (my own I admit) to be considered a wild animal.

They do note a mention in Lone Pine’s Field Guide to Mammals of California.

evilmonkey239 and Great Argus like this.
  3. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I guess the main question is will they continue to increase or at least hold stable. A good point regarding the bison, most of them are still monitored and managed to some degree.

evilmonkey239 and Pleistohorse like this.
  4. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

On a different topic, for those familiar with the spread of Rosy-faced Lovebirds in the Phoenix AZ area, do you think they might manage to start spreading across the southwest? Looking at Ebird data they are pushing outwards from the suburbs to some extent, as well as some outlying records. They have been doing quite well overall.

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Ten were released at the start of the 1900s in Fiordland, which is all vertically-walled rainforest-covered glacial valleys. There is very little suitable habitat there for Moose. A few were shot by hunters in the following few decades, but there hadn't really been any conclusive evidence for their continued survival past the last known kill in 1952. There are people who have been down there looking quite hard for them, with camera traps and so forth (there was even a rather sizeable bounty on offer for proof, although I don't know if that is still active). There has been one camera trap photo of part of an animal which looks like a Moose (rather than a Red Deer which are common down there). Apparently some hair found in 2000 was DNA-tested and shown to be Moose. I've never been much of a supporter of their continued existence down there, but if they are still around then the numbers must be tiny.

Just of related interest, the other wild deer in NZ are Red Deer, Wapiti, Fallow Deer, Rusa, Sika, Sambar, and White-tailed Deer. The Wapiti are probably all hybridised out now (with Red Deer), but otherwise all the species are either common overall or common within certain parts of the country.

6. Chlidonias

Seeing we're talking about introduced animals in NZ, the other mammals here are four species of wallabies (Bennett's, Parma, Tammar, and Swamp - Brush-tailed Rock Wallaby and Black-striped Wallaby are probably gone now), Brush-tailed Possum, Himalayan Tahr, Chamois, European Rabbit and Hare, European Hedgehog, Ferret, Stoat, Least Weasel, and the usual commensal rodents and feral domestics.

Some of the possibly-unusual birds are Rook, Australian Magpie, Chukar, Californian Quail, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Galah, Little Owl, and Common Kookaburra.

Last edited: 25 May 2019
    evilmonkey239, Brum, Pertinax and 3 others like this.
  7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. vogelcommando

9. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

10. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here's one I didn't know about. Gambian pouched rats in the florida keys. details

Small indian mongoose in Hawaii, puerto rico and US virgin islands. details

German Zoo World likes this.
  11. Chlidonias

These have been eradicated. The last known animal was in 2009.

TinoPup likes this.
  12. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You'd think they would update their website with that!

13. carl the birder

carl the birder Well-Known Member 5+ year member

i dont now if this is unown or intresting but the uk have or has had introduse poulations of golden phesant and lady amherst phesent. i think the amherts is now extinct and i dont now aboute the golden. i have alweys find intrstings since finding them in a bok of al europs birds wen i was young

animal_expert01 likes this.
  14. Almiquí

Almiquí Active Member

I remember when I was a child I used to go with my friends to catch bettas in a dam near La Habana. For me, was normal to find bettas, years later I learn that bettas are from Asia. But in Cuba are very common in dams, ponds, lakes or slow rivers. I captured bettas in La Habana and Pinar del Rio, mostly red/brown variants but also green, blue and even albino.

The Cuban Grassquit was introduced in the Bahamas in the 1960s. According to the story that is widely spread in Cuba, a plane carrying hundreds of those birds (the destinations varies) was forced to land in the Bahamas due to an emergency. A lot of the birds died, but the rest were released and they settle and flourish till the present day.

animal_expert01 likes this.
  15. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very interesting about the moose and brush tailed rock wallaby.

Do you know how any of New Zealand’s invasive species got there? For some species is is quite obvious why they’ve been introduced, such as deer and game bird for hunting purposes, but for other species it’s a lot less clear. I’d especially like to know the origins of the various Australian marsupials, tahr, chamois and hedgehogs.

16. Chlidonias

There are four main reasons animals were introduced to New Zealand:

1) Accidental introductions, i.e. the rats and mice which came on board the ships, and most of the invertebrate species, which came along inside food stores or with farming stocks.

2) For hunting, because the intention for the new colony was for there to be no class system, with even the lowliest person being able to go hunt a deer or catch a salmon if he wanted. This is why all the deer were introduced, the tahr and chamois, the rabbits and hares, and the waterfowl and gamebirds, and the fish (trout, salmon, etc).

3) Biological control - this was very much in its infancy and for the most part extremely ill-considered. The mustelids (stoat, weasel, ferret) were introduced to try and control the rabbits and hares which had been introduced earlier. Hedgehogs and passerines were introduced to try and control insect pests - with all the native birds being hunted into oblivion, the European insect species were exploding into plagues all over the country. The Little Owl was introduced to try and control the introduced passerines after they started building into huge numbers and causing crop losses. More recent biological control efforts have been better handled and involve host-specific invertebrates for trying to control plant pests such as gorse (introduced as a farm-hedging plant) or other insects (e.g. parasitic wasps).

4) Simply because they weren't here already. For vertebrates this is the primary reason they were introduced, although the majority of species failed to establish. The time when New Zealand was being settled was when Britain was starting colonies all over the world and a) wanted to make each colony as much like England as possible by introducing familiar animals, and b) had ready access to all sorts of animals from other colonies and wanted to spread them all around the world as well. So some of the above animals were introduced for two reasons - e.g. hedgehogs were introduced to try and control pests but also because they were familiar English animals which they wanted in the new country. But other species were for no reason other than "why not?" - amongst the species which became established are the wallabies, frogs, and a number of the birds like kookaburras, parrots, peafowl, etc. But there were literally hundreds of species of birds and mammals introduced into New Zealand which failed for one reason or another - there were monkeys, zebras, emus, quolls, kangaroos, etc etc.

Finally, one animal which falls outside any of the above reasons is the Brush-tailed Possum which was introduced to try and establish a fur trade.

17. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

If you’re interested in the history of New Zealand’s introduced species, I suggest you consult the book “Naturalized Mammals of the World” (Christopher Lever; 1985) which provides a considerable amount of detail about the introduction of non-native mammal species to New Zealand. This book provides the dates of the introductions, the person responsible for the introduction and the sources of the original animals (e.g. the Duke of Bedford donated three pairs of tahr from Woburn Abbey in 1904; Franz Josef, Emperor of Austria, donated eight chamois in 1907 etc).

Last edited: 1 Aug 2019
  18. vogelcommando

19. Cassidy Casuar

Cassidy Casuar Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Some of the following probably no longer exist:
    -Eastern Paradise Whydah in Japan
    -Red-necked Spurfowl on Ascension Island
    -Chimango Caracara and Chilean Tinamou on Easter Island
    -Swamp Harrier and Crimson-backed Tanager on Tahiti
    -Great Horned Owl on an island in the Marquesas
    -Black Drongo on Guam and Rota
    -Zebra Dove on St Helena and New Caledonia
    -Australian Magpie and Brown Quail on Fiji
    -Red-billed Quelea on Réunion Island
    -Madagascar Red Fody in the British Indian Ocean Territory

In New Zealand:
    Prevented from establishing: Red-vented Bulbul, Indian Ringneck, Rainbow Lorikeet
    Sometimes rumoured to exist: Emu, Carolina Wood Duck, Golden Pheasant, Reeves's Pheasant, Crested Pigeon

Last edited: 16 Aug 2019
    birdsandbats and Goura like this.
  20. Chlidonias

Based on what source? I've seen magpies in Fiji - they are common on Taveuni.