Join our zoo community

Introductions, Comings and Goings

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ZYBen, 21 Feb 2006.

1. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Hi i am a new member and couldn't find a topic like this anywhere, so i thought (with my prior knowledge of forums) to start one, hoe here it is and a little about me

I live in Adelaide, am a ZooYouth Ammbassador and a Volunteer at teh Adelaide Zoo. I work at McDonalds as a Crew Trainer, i kepp and breed, Parrots, Lizards and Fishes.

My second love is the Game Zoo Tycoon 2 i hope many of you are aware of it, and love it as much as i do, i am Currently a Designer at the largest Zoo Tycoon (ZT) website on the net, Zoo Admin (http://zoo.ogresnet.com)
    I create animals, for the game and hacks to make it as natural as possible

sorry if this is wrong admins, i just thought you needed one

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Welcome - great to have you here.

Please - anyone new here should post an introduction to themselves ... even the long time members should let us all know what you are up to now!

3. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

gday

im zoo boy and i am this sites western plains zoo link , i myself keep a lizard and am yr 11 , i love zoos and will eventually hope to be working at a zoo for the rest of my life . i no alot about all things zoo from mixed species enclousures , activities at taronga and western plains , and genaeral zoo news .

4. jay

jay Well-Known Member 20+ year member

Zoo Youth
    I love the zoo tycoon game, though I don't have the 3 d one. (Didn't like the look of the animals). I've always wanted to have a zoo of my own, like Mogo Zoo, but probably won't make that dream come true so the game is the closest I can get.
    Jai

5. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

theres one for sale in your home sate of queensland jason! :)

6. Zoo_Boy

lol yea how is tht sale goin pat

7. penguinman

penguinman New Member

Me!

Hi

I am penguinman! ZooYouthBen told me about the site so here I am. :eek:

8. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Have fun here Pm, i know you will love it

9. Zoo_Boy

o colarado can u get us some info on predator ridge in denver , do u have any plans of the exhibit or pics penguin man

10. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Member

Heist-op-den-Berg, Antwerp Province,Belgium
    I'm new too this site ; it was ZooYouthBen ,a friend of me over ZA ,anotehr site,that brought me here, me being a HUGE zoo lover and big fan and regular visitor of zoos.
    My big obsession are animals ,music (metal),reading,msn ,computers,writing,improving my english and more.
    I live in Belgium,Western Europe ,and my age is 16 (17 to become in Octobre).
    The zoos I know best are Planckendael animal park in Muizen and the Antwerp Zoo in Antwerp, both popular zoos here in Belgium , that are under the same managment (of the Royal Zoological Society of Antwerp).
    This society also owns a nature reserve and a concert and congress centre.
    Some pics of these zoos and others I visited can be found on my site.
    http://cochin007.fotopic.net/
    I think this does it as introduction , so ,if any question,pose them.
    I hope to enjoy it here.

11. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Welcome Mephistopheles to the zoobeat forum, its good to have an Internatational view on zoos from your country, I look forward to your input.
    Antwerp zoo as far as I can remember used to be famous for having Mountain Gorllias and Okapi maybe you can keep us up to date on what they are doing there these days.

12. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Member

Didn't knew you knew the Antwerp zoo , Mark. Well it's quite famous ,isn't it ?
    How did you hear from it, if I may ask ?
    Thank you.
    Okapis yes ,they certainly still have those , but mountain gorillas ,at least not now. I know they've had them in the past (I don't exactly know when ,though) ,they now have the only two females left of Eastern lowland gorillas, from that subspecies, according to my scources , no more animals in captivity occur (all other gorillas are western lowland gorillas) and they also have an infertile male western lowland gorilla.

13. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

Great Zoos of the World

Hi Mephi , I am the NZ representative of this bunch of zoo fans .

A few years ago , there was a TV series in NZ called " Great Zoos of the World "
    Whether one could agree with the title with the zoos that were portrayed could possibly be up to conjecture , but they had one session about the Antwerp Zoo . The zoo management were quite candid ,and admitted that their biggest problem was space ( It is a small zoo , right beside the main railway station )
    So that is another reason why your local zoo has become known from this part of the world .

It is good to have you join the forum , and I appreciate the validity of your views/comments , even though there are often two or more sides of the coin . But this is a great forum to share views about zoos and zoo management , conservation etc . We sometimes have some beaut arguments , but we are all in the same boat as far as wanting the best possible outcomes for wildlife , and we are all zoofans -- despite our vast differences . Good to see you jumping in boots and all .
    Cheers , Nigel

14. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Welcome zuk-pah, glad to have you here, it will be good to get your views on zoos and the animals they have. Growing up near Western plains zoo is wonderful, luckly you, maybe you can tell us any of the latest zoo news from WPZ.

15. Zoo_Boy

Woo Hoo i love dubbo Zoo its da bomb

16. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Member

I haven't been here for long, but it's official :
    I'm leaving zoobeat. I've been attacked a few times and took things a little bit to personal (howeve,rpatrick ,I believe you went pretty personal :mad: ). i decided that after he said I'm ridicumlous ,he's probably right that I don't belong here at all.
    I'm sorry for joining in the first place. Thanks pat for showing I shouldn't be here at all.
    Bye guys.

17. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Member

I wouldn't call it a slight cultural or language difference.
    Major differences in culture and language and fundamental disagreements and differences cause me not to be able to be part of this site.
    I'm sorry guys,but I guess I'll never pop in again ,not even to read.

18. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

okay okay.

firstly, i'm sure all of you have read the long back and forth conversations that have taken place between myself and this mephistopheles person.

now he has decided to leave the forum. no doubt he feels i have driven him away and made him feel unwelcome. i say he's being a sooky martyr, but whatever....

from my perspective - i made some comments about what, in my opinion, zoos will need to do to justify themselves into the future and also to insure they have animals in their care to even exist as a zoo.

mephistopheles, argued a series of points that i felt had no relevance to the "bigger picture" i was talking about. he began to argue against statements i had not made. i felt he had missed my point and i tried numerous times to articulate my argument better.

to be honest i just felt he was enjoying testing out his debating skills because at times he was off an tangents about how i was wrong about something i didn't even say. on top of this he told me i was "offensive" in suggesting he had missed the point.

he then accused me of saying that i said northen zoos should not have tropical animals. i never said that. but since he was iching for yet another excuse to test his debating skills against his own speculation of hypothetical comments i could make, i decided to test him out. i said:

northern zoos should focus on cold-tolerant species

and indeed they should. i never said they should not have tropical species. i just said they should focus on temperate species.

the reason i feel i want to bring this up with other forum members is this -
    i feel some of you may think i am (and lets put it bluntly) a bit of a prick.

i have been a member of this forum for quite some time, but lately some of the more recent users (and by no means am i saying anything about me being here longer means i deserve more respect etc.. i'm not) seem to be getting "offended" by my comments.

i'll admit if i was an irwin i would be pissed at me too - but as for this mephistopheles kid, any intellegent person can see that i certainly never asked him to leave and i don't feel he has any right to make out that i made him feel unwelcome.

i recognise that i might be a bit more of a zoo critic than others. i love going to the zoo - but i feel often they are in a time warp. at the moment they call themselves educational conservation arks when in reality, i think they have a long way to go before they are that. they need of alot more visionary thinking to counteract the trend of people becomeing less and less fond of the idea of keeping animals in captivity. the "menagerie for entertainment" foundations are still firmly entrenched (often subconciously) in many zoo managements. because we can't justify keeping elephants (for example) just for entertainment anymore - that has to change.

remember i am a memeber of this forum - like all of us i love zoos, maybe just not so unconditionally as others.

nonetheless. i am happy to continue to be here and talk conservation and ideas should other people be happy to talk back. i don't get offended by other people having different opinions as me and i expect that others shouldn't get ****** at me for the same reason.

if this mephistopheles kid wants to leave. then fine. i think its a shame - because we could do with more overseas members, but its up to him.

i certainly didn't tell him to go though.

19. Nigel

Nigel Well-Known Member

I agree with what you have said here , Patrick .
    You have alot of input into this forum , and you can back up your views with reasons .
    Mephi also had input into the forum , with backup reasons with his logic

I am not saying that I agree with what is written , but as this is a forum where we can bounce ideas back and forth , I like to use this foreum , as I am sure Patrick , Mark , Zooish , ZooYouthBen , Jai , Zooboy , Sim ....all of you that are regular users ( I cant remember all of your handles at this point )
    Mephi could have been the same if he chose to stay . Its too bad he has decided to leave , but as Patrick said , nobody asked him to leave .

I just want to say that I appreciate all of you on the forum , and as I have got to know you all better , I respect you all alot better too .

20. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles Member

Ok ,ok ,guys ,I'm stepping down on this again. No,I'm not back.
    I'm afraid I will never be really back again.

It's just that I want to stop in to have a say at the things said.

I know you could. I would love to do so. But it seems to me that I'm not welcome at all. And that is not because,or at least not lony because of, what happened between us,pat. I'ds love to try ,and I know I could do so too.
    One problem is the way you look at me, if you call me "this person" or "kid". This are obnoxious outings of disrespect.
    Could you explain me why , and say if you still feel I could be valuable if I'd return ,which I want to.

No ,I'm not being a sooky martyr, I was never trying to be.
    I felt like you said I swasn't welcome after what happened. But I misinterprated your words. I know, and I'm most gravely sorry for what happened.
    Again ,I know what I did wrong ,but is that a reason to insult ,coz these kind of things do touch me in a way.
    I'm wanting to forget this things and try to be a valuable member ,which I'm not sure off I could ever be , but I'm not sure if you guys still want me after this.
    I just hope differences aren't too big. I'd love to bridge this gap in a way.

I know I turned your words around in a way. I'm sorry ,I shouldn't have done that.
    I know I missed a part of the point ,but it would be too much too say I didn't see the bigger point. I do and did understand part of your point. I know I argued things that had no relevance. I know I have been stupid.
    I know what i did wrong ,but I was not testing what I could do.
    I might just have took things personal too soon.
    But now ,I'm not sure if I can still just leave that.

I know ,I shouldn't either. I hjave been too sensitive.
    I'm sorry.

patrick , I know what happened ,I know what mainly I did wrong. You didn't do much of a wrong . I misinterpretated. I haven't been the kind of member you need. I must thank you for making me see that, but ,I must say , I have used you a bit like you said I should leave, coz I couldn't deal with it. I have severe difficulties at dealing with such situations.
    I hope you are still wanting to give me another chance. I'd so love to be accpeted here again,which I know off is impossible.
    And no, I'm not just trying to talk me back in or too make you forgive me for what happened. No.

I know it's up too me ,and maybe I took the wrong decision.
    I hope I could do anything here ,but I'm not sure. I'm willing to try though ,however I'm not sure if it's still possible.

I know, that was a severe misinterpretation of me. I know. I made severe mistakes , that I hope not to make again , if it didn't ruin it forever.

Let that be clear ,I respect all of you guys, even you Patrick ,even after that message, I still do.
    I know what I could be nigel ,and if it was possible,I'd try. If.
    Maybe it is. I want to come back and try again ,but , I'm not sure.
    I know now leaving might not have been a right decision.
    I know what I did wrong ,and I'm most severely sorry for the things that happened.

From this site ,no harsh feelings ,but ,patrick ,and please don't bring me down for this ,I understood what i did ,I now know ,and I hope you understand , what I did and what I shouldn't have done. Your words were harsh ,but helpful. And still ,I'm not sure were to place em.

Till some time around here ,guys ... maybe.