Join our zoo community

Introductions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GiraffeGuy, 21 Oct 2019.

1. GiraffeGuy

GiraffeGuy Member

I do research on Masai giraffe and have initiated a new project to identify and map the genes that determine their spot-patterns. As you might know, the spot-patterns of Masai giraffe are highly variable among individuals. But you may not know that spot-patterns of Masai giraffe differ in their degree of camouflage which is critically important for not being detected by a lion during the first year! As part of this project we are quantitatively assessing the spot-patterns of all of Masai giraffe (~150) in North American Zoos (~30 zoos) and will be obtaining DNA samples from some of these giraffes for the gene mapping. This project has a direct relevance to our ongoing conservation efforts of the Masai giraffe in East Africa.
    I want to shout-out the important role that zoos play in wildlife conservation. For example, the growing support for giraffe conservation in the U.S., Canada, Japan, and several European countries is directly related to the fact people in these countries have made a connection to giraffes through seeing them at their local zoos.
    I could use your help in obtaining photographs of specific Masai giraffe in N. American zoos, particularly of deceased giraffes and existing giraffes that I've not been able to obtain photos for.
    In particularly the photos need be taken perpendicular to the body axis and include the body trunk (torso). Ideally photos of left and right sides.

Here's a partial list:
    Deceased:
    Travis - Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
    Grace - Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
    Lily - Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
    Trevor - Toledo Zoo

Current:
    Michael - Santa Barbara Zoo

Terry Thomas likes this.
  2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome!

3. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Welcome. Hope you get the info you need.

4. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to ZooChat!

5. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome to Zoochat. I'll see what I can do to get you pictures from Michael from Santa Barbara.

6. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to Zoochat. I'll try and get pictures of the Maasai giraffe at the Turtleback Zoo, next time I go.

7. GiraffeGuy

GiraffeGuy Member

Ebirah
    Thanks for the greeting! I'd very much appreciate getting photos of the Turtleback Zoo's giraffe. From youtube videos it looks like they have at least five.
    Doug

Ebirah766 likes this.