Join our zoo community

Intruders Kill Tapir

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by skoop102, 30 Jun 2009.

1. skoop102

skoop102 Well-Known Member

Here is a story from google news.

Intruders kill tapir

LADY MCALPINE has slammed trespassers she believes killed a tapir on her estate at Fawley.

On Wednesday, her estate manager discovered a broken fence and tyre marks from mountain bikes. Nearby was the body of the 19-year-old animal.

Lady McAlpine said: “I am sure he died of a heart attack. Until then, he had been very happy and healthy.

“This is very sad and I am angry. Judging by the number and size of the footprints there must have been at least two of them and it looks like they were adults rather than youngsters.

“We are a sort of animal rescue centre here as we take in animals that zoos no longer want.”

A tapir is a pig-like mammal native to South and Central America and south-east Asia.

Last year, a dog tore the throat out of a roe deer on the estate.

Henley on Thames - Intruders kill tapir

Does anyone have any more information about this place/ the tapir? It's in Henley Upon Thames.

2. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I don't know about the place, might have to go and kill some people though. :mad:

3. macca

macca Well-Known Member

that is disgusting. and if these people are caught (which is very unlikely) i bet they get away with it.

4. James27

Indeed, they've banned hunting over here but it's more than likely, with our police system, that nothing will get done.

5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There have been a number of similar incidents recently along the South coast(not tapirs though) and probably not connected at all. A baby deer was deliberately killed near Poole and in the same area several pet rabbits etc have been killed by persons unknown entering gardens. Meanwhile in Wiltshire Black swans and other waterfowl numbering about 15 birds altogether have been found killed and mutilated by the owners.

6. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

The place is not open to the public in any way shape or form the only way you will ever get to go round the place is by invitation only but you have more chance of finding ROCKING HORSE MANURE than of getting an invite.

7. James27

Lol that was poetic. We could always get in the way the tapir killers did :p

Disclaimer: I don't plan to actually do that :D

8. zoogiraffe

I suspect the security will be improved around the grounds after this so that route will be closed to people now.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2009
  9. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

I am sure, on one of those tapir fansites, that I dug up a story a while back about the original pair of Malayan tapirs from London Zoo being retired to a private collection somewhere in England. This could have included the origninal blind female. Without access to studbook records I don't know how correct this is, as the story also described them as an old breeding pair, which would be inaccurate, as ZSL bred its first Malayan tapir in 2004.

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Does this indicate Malayans kept without shade have suffered the same eye problems in the UK as in 'bright sun' locations such as Australia? Maybe they do but with less sunshine perhaps the process is slowed down.

11. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

The article you mention (called Tapir Honeymoon) is on this site, link shown below, and mentions Eva and Bertie from London Zoo.

The Tapir Gallery - The Ungulate Observer

However, this blog from January 2009 shows a photo of a Brazilian tapir rather than a Malayan tapir :confused:

Bill's Blog: Breakfast in a Time Warp

Last edited: 1 Jul 2009
  12. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The title suggests that they "killed" the tapir though they only just caused such a noise that the animal died of a heartattack. Sounds a lot less brutal (and intentional) if you say it like it is...

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well in legal terms it is still technically accidental death (no intention to kill perhaps, - allthough how you can assume what happened as no evidence to that effect has come forward as yet -, but causing death by accident). Viz: legal implications intentional killing/manslaughter vs. death by accident. The latter still shows up a jail term.

14. johnstoni

"Tapir Honeymoon

Sent on July 7, 1997, by Mark Reid, tapir supporter in Canada. NOTE: Many zoos have programs where you can adopt a tapir by paying something for its food and keep. As funding for animals becomes more and more difficult due to cutbacks and increases in the cost of living, the extra help is much appreciated. There are apparently benefits for adoptive "parents" as well!

By the time that my wife and I were married in 1991, we had already adopted a couple of tapirs at various zoos and acquired a genuine regard for these incredible beasts. As we planned to honeymoon in England (where I was born ) we scheduled a visit to London Zoo where we were "Zoo Parents" of two Malayan Tapirs.

On arrival in Regent's Park we raced immediately to their enclosure and found "Eva" sitting outside, placidly watching a light rain land on her pond. Her partner, "Bertie" was wandering about inside the building, plainly wishing he were outside with his mate. After watching them for quite some time, snapping innumerable pictures and pointing out things to each other (!) we found a Zoo employee letting himself into Bertie's space.

I casually enquired about the tapirs by name and after discovering that we were listed on the sponsors' plaque nearby, the fellow invited us to return in a couple of hours when he would feed the pair. The rest of the afternoon passed in an eternity of anticipation until, at 3:00 pm we were invited into the indoor enclosure to help feed, and pet, the happy couple. BLISS!! After reading, writing, drawing, donating, etc. about these animals for so long, we finally had the chance to actually touch them and see them in their own "living room." Our host, Steve, spoke at length on their history and habits, giving the distinct impression of one who cared deeply for his charges.

Although we were saddened to hear that Eva & Bertie were soon to leave London Zoo as part of their "re-structuring," our spirits rose when we learned that they were going to join Lord McAlpine's private zoo at Henley. Officials had inspected the site and Steve spoke glowingly of the tapirs' retirement home - 80 acres of pasture with a small lake, llamas, etc. He said it would be absolute heaven compared to their billet in downtown London. After "wallowing" in the presence of the tapirs for a good half hour, we bid them a farewell snuffle and thanked Steve profusely for his hospitality.

Although we spent a wonderful 3 weeks in England, walking hand-in-hand through the fog and rain, the highpoint of the honeymoon was undoubtedly our visit with the tapirs. As Carol and I have just begun our lives together, we hope that Bertie & Eva have settled into a well-deserved retirement in their luxury, Thames-side quarters. After a lifetime together, producing 8 offspring, they've certainly earned it!"

- I can't believe there was a place in my brain that remembered that,when I often forget my car keys on an average day!

But I'm not convinced the pair had produced 8 young, unless they arrived as a pair that had previously bred at another collection. Which begs the question, what collection would give up a breeding Malayan tapir pair that had produced 8 infants??

15. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The original article does not state what species of tapir was involved in the incident .

I seem to remember that Marwell sent a number of species to the McAlpine collection over the years .

16. zoogiraffe

As far as i know the last i had heard they only held Brazilian Tapir at the present time.

17. johnstoni

Do you know when the Malayans died.

18. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ah yes, but now you're talking about humans. The death of the tapir would be by most laws considered loss of property, and then the owner would probably have to prove the undisputable connection between the break-in and entry and the loss of the tapir.

Since tapirs can die of a heart-attack at any given moment, the connection could always be disputed and i doubt the loss of the tapir could legally be thrust upon the people that broke in...

Just my 2 cents anyways...

19. zoogiraffe

Sorry no idea when the Malayans died just know that they only have Brazilian Tapirs at the moment.