Join our zoo community

Invasive animals in your area

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by vogelcommando, 11 May 2013.

1. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We are very limited here particularly with shotguns as pump action shotguns are banned as well. Plenty of foxes escape today that would be shot if we had the better guns we used to.

2. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

We can't have a firearm down here for self defence. Its not even alowed for abalone divers in great white waters. We can get a power head, but only for "taking fish" not protection, yet our fisheries laws say its illegal to take fish with one, but protection is fine, so long as you don't take fish with it.

When I'm working some species in yards there's times I would like a sidearm ,but I keep a double in ought six handy instead, which I'm still allowed to have for "animal welfare", just not my own.

We had a visitor from Nth Carolina about two years ago. It was a long weekend & my parents were up along with these visitors & several others. Late in the afternoon I heard two gunshots & knew they were well inside my land. Anyway I jump in the truck & my old man too. Our visitor asks quite seriously " are you going too shoot them?" I reply "No?" she then says in a very honest way "we would back home!" . I have no doubt that would be the case from what I've heard. But we do things different, maybe not better, but different. lol

Yes I caught them. They'd killed a good chital stag & another from another species. Turns out they were guests of one of my neighbours.

I've another story about how our gubberment tried to stop us keeping bison two years ago too, but I'll save that for another day.

Cheers Khakibob

3. Monty

Monty Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thats because the government says Bison are invasive and will escape and form wild populations impossible to eradicate. :rolleyes:

Thats not off topic.

4. ostrich

ostrich Well-Known Member

The only real invasive species in my area are wild pigs. Honestly, they don't bother me. I say if you don't want them on your land, put up some good fencing!

5. alethionaut

alethionaut Member

In Northern Ireland we have quite a few - off the top of my head the most notable would be the ferrets on Rathlin island that are affecting bird populations (it is an important breeding site), muntjac (of which my MSc lecturer was fond of hunting and culling), grey squirrel and zebra mussel.

Invasive species control was a module in my postgrad but honestly, not much was past the aforementioned lecturer and his zeal for hunting. I attended an outside lecture with him once and discovered his full hunting gear in the boot of his jeep - his words "well you never know when I might just drive past one of those damn muntjac so should always be prepared".

6. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

While I know the negative effects of ferrets, grey squirrels and zebra mussels on their new environment, I know nothing about the impacts of muntjacs. Could you explain what effects they have in Northern Ireland?

7. alethionaut

alethionaut Member

From what I remember from lectures, they are being more of a nuisance than anything - clearing shrub, hedges so in essence taking food and habitat from native animals. During the lecture I couldn't see the argument for culling them as a valid one (and argued it with a lecture hall full of enthusiasts) - but that was my opinion from the information received and if anyone can shed light on that I'd appreciate it.

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

muntjac don't seem to be as big a problem as some other species (I've just been doing some googling on the UK situation) but the problem with them is that they don't really have any predators in the UK and they breed quite rapidly so the numbers are growing pretty fast. They apparently are starting to do quite a bit of damage in the forests due to their numbers (through preventing growth or regrowth of the native plants by eating the shoots), which obviously affects the native wildlife adversely. They are also common in settled areas (entering gardens etc) and are at risk of being hit by cars (potential damage to both deer and driver). I imagine due to their small size they can live in areas that larger deer can't and so could cause problems (to forestry, gardens, etc) which otherwise wouldn't occur there.

I think some lynx should sort out the problem :)

9. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm joking, but imagine how a few pairs of Coyotes would adapt to the U.K.! A more urban/disturbed environment adapted stand-in for Britain's extinct Wolves. Forget Brown Hares and Rabbits, Deer Species like Roe, Fallow, and Munjact would be just the right size to support a very healthy population of Song Dogs. Close enough to Wolves to be a valid replacement, if you consider that some accounts I've read say Britain's original Lynx died out thousands of years ago....though I think they were probably around at least till Roman times. Of course Wolves and Coyotes have several hundred thousand years divergence vis a vis British and Mainland Lynx populations.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  10. alethionaut

alethionaut Member

Haha I'm all for some more biodiversity in N.Ireland but I reckon they might draw the line at some carnivores =]

A few eagle owls escaped and are living in Antrim a few years back and there was uproar about that alone!

11. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No jokes about this big problem.
    If I remember well the man who released rabbits in Australia were condecorated :(
    Maybe who released foxes...too?

12. I Like Zoos

I Like Zoos Active Member

In Leicestershire,UK we have grey squirrels,Canada geese and muntjac

Osedax and Wisp O' Mist like this.
  13. AndyJ08

AndyJ08 Well-Known Member

Feral cats are a pest in my area, while others such as feral hogs, European starlings, and house sparrows are more serious problems in the Southeast and the US as a whole.

Osedax and Wisp O' Mist like this.
  14. antilio capra

antilio capra Well-Known Member

spotted latternfly
    zebra mussel
    multiple fish
    brown rat
    black rat
    rock dove
    european starling
    european rabbit(though they have become rarer and rarer)

Osedax likes this.
  15. Dr. Wolverine

Dr. Wolverine Well-Known Member

I will list the ones I’ve seen
    Rose ringed parakeet
    Rock Dove
    Brown Rat
    Feral Cat
    Masked Palm Civet
    Mute Swan
    Red Eared Slider

These are ones I haven’t seen