Join our zoo community

United Kingdom Ipswich Zoological Park

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by FBBird, 11 Dec 2012.

1. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm researching a small zoo that closed 100 years ago this year in my native town of Ipswich [UK]. Opened in Christchurch Park in 1907, the Bartlett Society site gives details of animals that went to the local museum [hopefully having died 'natural' deaths. Does anyone on here have any information about this place?

2. ZooChronicles

ZooChronicles Member

Hi,
    I have done a little digging around and I have to say there is not a lot ‘out there’ relating to Ipswich Zoo. Even the Zoo history opus by Vernon N. Kisling, has no mention.

I did run a little search on http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ and there are a few articles that mention it, the trouble with many of the short lived Zoos of that era is that little information remains and many were set up with the remnants of a travelling menageries like Bostock and Wombell’s.

You could also try looking at old ordnance survey maps of the area which can lead to various sources of information.
    I think your best bet would be to dig around the newspapers of the time and follow leads.

Happy hunting!

3. FBBird

Zoochronicles: Thank you for this -- anyone else know anything about it? Eventual results will be posted on here, but it may take a while

4. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Did it not feature in one of Clinton Keeling's "Where The...." books?

5. Parrotsandrew

Just had a quick dig and it features in the "Mysteries" chapter of "Where The Crane Danced" - on pages 70 to 72.

6. FBBird

Parrotsandrew, can you enlarge on this? I've asked the Bartlett Society to quote me for this book, but they haven't got back to me yet.

7. Parrotsandrew

The book says there is very little information on the place. I'll get back to you at a more reasonable hour if that is all right.

8. Parrotsandrew

I'll PM you on this FBBird.