Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Is anyone is interested....

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FelidLover, 15 Jul 2013.

1. FelidLover

FelidLover Well-Known Member

Lol no it doesn't! Even I was amused - it's very strange to see!

Someone came past and was like - it's doing a handstand...oh and peeing? why is it doing that? and they were stood next to the sign that explains why they do it!

2. bluetoffeezoo

bluetoffeezoo Well-Known Member

you expect them to read signs?

3. karoocheetah

karoocheetah Well-Known Member

what was it that one of the education/presentation team told us on Sunday - the average loiter time at an exhibit is 11 seconds and the time spent 'looking' at signs (I'm loathe to say reading) is about 4 seconds!

I have always been impressed with the Male Bush Dogs 'Back Wheels' his hit rate is remarkable too as their always seems to be at least one pregnant female in the pack!

4. FelidLover

someone said this to me yesterday actually - one of the regular photographer guys was chatting to me by the tigers about people barely looking at exhibits then moving on cos there's "nothing there".

That happened at newquay with the fishing cat - it was hiding so we waited for ages and eventually it got up and moved. But most people were complaining that there was nothing in there.

@bluetoffeezoo - I'm hopeful that some people do sometimes!

5. Waddi

Waddi Well-Known Member

I passed by the bear enclosure this morning twice this morning but couldn't spot you, maybe next time.

6. FelidLover

Apologies I wasn't there today! I was at home busy trying to get my data collection sheets all sorted and ready! I don't start official data collection til next week so at the moment I'm in and out and all over the place!

Hopefully I'll see you at some point :)

7. FelidLover

Todays latest:

This one is understandable a bit: someone was calling vicunas "llamas"

coatis are apparently raccoons/ring tailed lemurs/monkeys/mongoose/baby bears
    and my all time favourite: rabbits!

Also heard the servals called: cheetahs/jaguars/leopards and even lions(!) today!

Now keeping a tally of "speckled bear" and "coyote" for my own hilarity :)

Though some intelligent kids today which was nice to see - correcting mum/dad on stuff!

Plus one know-it-all kid that made me laugh :D spesh when he was wrong xD

8. karoocheetah

I love it when the kids correct their dumb ass parents :D I remember helping a little girl in the Jaguar house to out smug her brother by telling her the stuff about the new Jags she wanted which she then promptly told her family in a 'look how much I know' voice at the top of her voice - it makes my heart glad :)

...and Rabbits? really? dear god what kind of bunnies do they get in their area that's all I say!

9. FelidLover

Lol who knows! I was a tad disturbed by the idea of coatis being like rabbits...maybe they have like were-rabbits? or mutated rabbits?

The coatis are growing on me though with their cute little pointy noses ^^

10. karoocheetah

One of my Brazillian colleagues has them roaming freely around her back garden - they call them Nasua though (which is their latin taxonomy I believe?) I really like them - they are very cheeky to the bears and nick all of their tasty treats if they don't get to them fast enough :D

11. FelidLover

Hehe yeah I noticed that :D...I imagine they'd be quite interesting pets. Do her's not bite her or anything?

12. karoocheetah

No not that she's mentioned - I think as long as you keep supplying treats you're OK - but I expect their eyes go red and they start salavating like a blood starved vampire if you run out :) or is that just my fevered imagination?!?

13. FelidLover

Haha - definitely imagination!
    I heard one of the presenter's today telling a tour group that sometimes the coatis chase the bear :D

Also todays compilation of stupidity:

13 people who totally mis-identified the serval including: leopard, cheetah, lion and lynx

28 speckled bears!

15 people came past claiming "everytime we come it's never here...i don't think it's real" about the bear...

I also heard a girl say that it was a panda...and her friend goes "it can't be a panda cos we aren't in australia" but in a really like..."duhhh" voice...i actually laughed out loud!

However, three people actually spoke to me about what I was doing!! :)

Still not zoochatters though :(

14. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

From what I've read, this thread is more of what people say that annoys/humors you as oppose to your research:p

~Thylo:cool:

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

At one of my visits to Dudley earlier this year, I overhead a lady telling her grandson to: "come and look at the flamencos" - those pink birds with long legs:D

Then at Chester earlier this month, I was watching the Malaysian tapir when a young lad said to his mates: "What is it? It looks like a giant panda":rolleyes:

16. jde7582

jde7582 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Somebody on Saturday thought the Serval was either a Leopard or a Hyena.

17. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Last time I was at Bronx my sister and her friend called the Malayan Tapirs 'pandaphants'. Though they did just do that as a joke, they still don't really know what a tapir is.

When I was in Cincinnati, me and my Mom were admiring a Potto and a lady told her kids to come and look at the bat!:eek:

~Thylo:cool:

18. FelidLover

Hahaha flamencos!

Yep I heard that one when I went to look at them on Friday - someone called them pandapigs...similar to Thylo's pandaphants!

Well so far there is no research of interest. Actually I lie...today the female serval was playing with the male and it was adorable :D...bear news=zilch.

Hence the off track running commentary ^^

19. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i heard a girl aged about 9 or 10 say a tapir was a Suckerblood.

I have no idea what was going through her mind.

20. karoocheetah

The female Serval was mahoosive a few weeks ago - I am expecting kits soon!...well not ME personally OBVIOUSLY! the lady serval - can you see if you can confirm her name is 'Princess' - I do hope not but it's better than nothing!

I'll be in on Sunday - will you be there?:D