Join our zoo community

Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew Is there still an aquarium at Kew?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DavidBrown, 14 Mar 2020.

1. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I visied Kew in the late 1990s there was a small aquarium in the basement of one of the buildings. Does anyone else here remember this? Does that garden still exist?

2. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I remember it was in the basement of the Palm House. It was an excellent exhibit. I understand it closed in June 2019 and the exhibits were moved to the Princess of Wales Conservatory. But I have not visited so I can not confirm.

3. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There used to be a saltwater aquarium in the Palm House basement, but this closed a few years back; it was open in 2016 but was closed by the end of 2017. I don't know what happened to the fish kept there. There is a freshwater aquarium in the Princess of Wales Conservatory, with one large tank and several smaller ones, along a lower-level corridor in the middle of the building. There are photographs of this area in the gallery.

I revisited Kew recently, and the Palm House is looking especially tired. Last I heard there were tentative plans to completely restore this greenhouse, similar to the successful complete restoration recently completed on the Temperate House, but with it's more central location and higher footfall, closing it for the 5 years (minimum) that would be necessary is possibly proving tricky.

The freshwater aquarium in the PoWC is still there and still open :)

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

This thread has jogged my memory I had forgotten about this lovely Aquarium.

If I remember there was a Shell that visitors could sit in. I remember my Dad taking a photograph of me sat in it.

My parents and I visited Kew Garden's a few times throughout the mid two-thousands. Can anyone else remember this Shell and is it still located within Kew Garden's