Join our zoo community

Wildheart Animal Sanctuary Isle of Wight Zoo News

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jordan-Jaguar97, 21 Apr 2011.

1. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

There is currently a statement on the zoo's webpage

Welcome to The Isle of Wight Zoo | Isle of Wight Zoo

2. Goura

Goura Well-Known Member 10+ year member

"The zoo has come under attack by those campaigning against wildlife presenter Chris Packham, a regular visitor to the Island."

Chris said: "Please take aim at me but leave all of the charities and all of the other businesses that I work with out of it."

The Countryfile star revealed he has been harassed with people hanging dead birds from his gate and sending him human excrement in the post.

He has also been the target of death threats, which have been reported to the police.

The incidents follow Mr Packham's support for a campaign against the killing of birds such as crows, woodpigeons and jays.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is more than just serious! It is criminal intent on the part of those threatening Chris Packham!!! I am surprised and dismayed so little seems to be done against any perpetrators of such actionable offences!?!

Goura likes this.
  4. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Visited today after having not been for over ten years. Nice to see new the Lion and Tiger enclosures and the circus rescues. The three females were very active at the talk today.

I was unable to see any Tenrecs on display or any form of the previous nocturnal house. I'm assuming they have gone along with the Mouse Lemurs?

The zoo is great for a short visit, today it was very quiet and the place felt a bit desolate. Was a shame to see the old Tiger enclosures just left to rot with some fencing around it. I get the impression the place is running on very limited funds. I felt the Meerkat enclosure was an eye sore surrounded by ugly grey fence all the way around. Another thing I was disappointed about is the removal of viewing windows from the newer exhibits? Wonder why the zoo has decided to go all bars?

It was great to see one of the main keepers chatting to visitors and sharing stories. There is a new big cat enclosure being built alongside some of the other new ones, doesn't state what it will be for but the artists impression shows Lions so perhaps for the new males?

Last edited: 7 Sep 2019
  5. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Tigress Aysha has passed away at the grand old age of 21yrs. She arrived with her brother Diamond, who died in 2015, back in 1998. Where Aysha and Diamond born at Longleat?

6. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Apologies for my english

7. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Since the last post:

On May 19th, 2018, the zoo announced that Zia the tiger has passed away at 22 years old. The exact way she died is not known. This came after the death of a jaguar named Tequila who died a month earlier.

ZIA THE TIGER PASSES AWAY AT ISLE OF WIGHT ZOO - Island Echo - 24hr news, 7 days a week across the Isle of Wight

On June 8th, the zoo announced that 5 tigers (3 males 2 females) would be coming to the zoo from a Spanish traveling circus.

ISLE OF WIGHT ZOO TO REHOME RESCUED CIRCUS TIGERS - Island Echo - 24hr news, 7 days a week across the Isle of Wight

On March 1st, 2019, two lions were brought over to the zoo from Spain after being rescued from an unnamed circus. The lions are named Kumba and Vigo, and they are brothers.

WATCH: New lions arrive at the Isle of Wight Zoo

On April 30th, the zoo had to take down its Facebook and TripAdvisor pages after it was subjected to death threats after one of its trustees, BBC wildlife presenter Chris Packham, backed a pledge for farmers to legally shoot down "pest birds", namely crows and pigeons.

Isle of Wight Zoo forced off social media by hostile campaign | Isle of Wight News from OnTheWight

On October 3rd, a Bengal tiger named Aysha died due to a general decline in health. She was brought over to the zoo in 1998 and lived till the age of 21.

Isle of Wight Zoo's Aysha the Bengal tiger has died aged 21

On October 10th, the zoo with The Wildheart Trust and Save Our Hedgehogs Isle of Wright established a program to count how many hedgehogs were on the Isle of Wright.

Have you seen a hedgehog recently? New project to monitor and protect Isle of Wight's hedgehog population

On December 12th, it was announced that Simi, a former circus tiger, died at the zoo due to an illness sustained at the time as a circus performer. The tiger was brought over to the zoo in January 2016 following a lengthy legal procedure.

Isle of Wight Zoo mourns former circus tiger Simi — famed for having her plight raised at the House of Commons

On January 31st, 2020, the two lion brothers were moved into a new enclosure with a heated sleeping area and full height windows so guests can get up close and personal with the lions.

RESCUED LIONS MOVE INTO NEW-BUILD HOUSE AT ISLE OF WIGHT ZOO - Island Echo - 24hr news, 7 days a week across the Isle of Wight

On February 12th, the zoo brought 7 male meerkats over with their 2 females, making the mob grow to a population of 9. They have also updated the exhibit with new logs, scents, and spaces to run around in.

ISLE OF WIGHT ZOO EXPANDS FAMILY OF MEERKATS - Island Echo - 24hr news, 7 days a week across the Isle of Wight

On June 11th, it was announced that the zoo would be reopening on June 19th. Restrictions include the capping of visitor numbers, and the closure (for now) of the play area, shops, indoor cafe, and the education center. However, toilets will still be opened, and all animals besides the invertebrates and reptiles found in the education center are available in their outdoor enclosures.

Isle of Wight Zoo to reopen next week (what are the restrictions?)

On July 4th, the zoo was fully reopened, with the play area and education center reopening.

Isle of Wight Zoo fully re-open from tomorrow — including play area and education centre

On July 12th, the zoo refused service of their defibrillator to a 25-year-old woman on the beach (who suffered from a heart attack), causing her to die at the scene. The zoo has now officially released a statement stating that the zoo didn't have a defibrillator, and that the zoo officials told the people who came in asking for it to call 999.

ZOO ISSUES STATEMENT OVER DEFIBRILLATOR RUMOURS AFTER WOMAN DIES ON THE BEACH - Island Echo - 24hr news, 7 days a week across the Isle of Wight

Jungle Man likes this.
  8. Andrew Swales

Andrew Swales Well-Known Member

"Chris Packham, backed a pledge for farmers to legally shoot down "pest birds", namely crows and pigeons".

No he didn't. He did the actual opposite and backed a ban on such activity.

'On July 12th, the zoo refused service of their defibrillator to a 25-year-old woman on the beach (who suffered from a heart attack), causing her to die at the scene. The zoo has now officially released a statement stating that the zoo didn't have a defibrillator, and that the zoo officials told the people who came in asking for it to call 999'.

This is contradictory. How could they refuse access to something they didn't have?

9. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

1. That’s what I meant.
    2. That’s what the zoo statement basically said. It’s contradictory because that isn’t what people at the scene and online said/heard.

10. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From the First Aid training I've had you have to acquire the code from 999 to get into a defibrillator. As the news article says, it's a public access defibrillator. I wonder if this will cause some negative publicity for the zoo. Doesn't seem to be their fault.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Ant

Ant Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The zoo will be taking 3 lynx from Borth zoo.

12. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

what does the Isle of Wight Zoo want lynx for ?

13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It's not so much a case of them wanting lynx (although they may very well want lynx, and I am not sure why you seem to think it's a baffling species for them to want) and more a case of Borth not being permitted to keep the species anymore - so the lynx had to go somewhere.

14. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Perhaps when the zoo's owners looked at the collection, they wanted the missing lynx

Mo Hassan and Themonkeyguy1 like this.
  15. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

16. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

17. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Can the zoo and Monkey Haven be done in a day, without my own car and how much would taxis be? Just for the sake of visiting collections I haven't been to before, I would almost consider taking the car, but it's a bit pricey.

Actually, taking the car is about £50 compared to £20 on foot and saves the hassle of taxis, plus gives more flexibilty to look around the island.

Last edited: 23 May 2021
  18. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It is also possible to use the Sandown to Ryde train in combination with a bicycle?

littleRedPanda likes this.
  19. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Maybe next year :D
    I did look at the mileage for cycling, but my legs are like jelly after sitting around so much this last few months. Besides, I would have to hire a bike too (approx £18 bike hire + £6 trains from what I see)

Last edited: 23 May 2021
  20. zooboy

zooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is, or certainly was, possible to visit Sandown, Monkey Haven and Amazon World in a day by bus, using an all-day bus ticket which was quite cheap. However you do need to plan your day using the bus timetable and not being tempted to stay longer than intended at each place. Buses stop outside Monkey Haven and Amazon World, while Sandown requires a walk along the seafront. I have not seen this year's bus timetables, but, as is often the case, there are probably more frequent services during the summer holiday period.