Join our zoo community

IUCN Red List changes and common zoo animals

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Jurek7, 10 Dec 2020.

1. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

There are certainly species with still pretty high populations assessed as CR - such as the hamster discussed here, or European Eel - in these cases my understanding is it's because the rate of change of the population is so high that action is needed.

For what it's worth, this is the justification for the solenodon:

Solenodon paradoxus (Hispaniolan Solenodon) (iucnredlist.org)

Dassie rat likes this.
  2. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Unlike intensive care units, it is usually impossible to begin a zoo breeding program when the species is very rare. Because of not risking taking few precious individuals, bureaucracy etc. For large mammals it is practically impossible. There are some cases with small mammals, smaller birds, reptiles, amphibians and freshwater fish.

So almost all endangered species in zoos were brought to zoos when the species was much commoner.

I was also pointing that species situation changes within years, but organizing a conservation program usually takes much longer. Both in zoos and in the wild.

3. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Listed as NT now, the declines have been noted.

Data deficient is being worked out; Amazon River Dolphin moves from DD to EN, both pilot whales now LC. Some good results and many concerning ones.

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hamster re-introductions are already taking place in the Netherlands and Germany, which is basically the edge of their natural range. These projects are successful, if managed well. It just seems to underscore that grassland habitats are often overlooked as highly relevant for conservation, with public focus only on forest.... Despite that grasslands and other open habitats, especially in Europe harbour more biodiversity and healthy grassland ecosystems store a lot of soil carbon...

5. Pantherinae

Pantherinae Active Member

Great to see a recovery for the European bison (vulnerable to near threatened), with reintroduction in the UK planned for 2022.

6. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It looks like the IUCN can't quite make up its mind on the Sunda pig-tailed macaque - it was moved from Vulnerable to Endangered in the previous update (July, I think) and in this most recent one has been moved back down to Vulnerable again.

Also noticed that both species of white-throated capuchin have been moved up into the Vulnerable category as well. Speaking of which, does anyone know which species is kept in European zoos or are they hybrids between the two?

7. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Of course, no word on lesser-known endangered inverts. :(
    Do realize that some of these lesser-known endangered inverts could already be extinct by now, they're little studied and have hardly anything known about them other than they are endangered.

8. CheeseChameleon1945

I noticed that as well. :)

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Yes, am very aware that organizing a conservation program takes longer both ex-situ and in-situ.

I wasn't really thinking about large mammals but rather the smaller taxa which as you state has been taken into captivity by zoos as a last resort in many conservation interventions the majority of which have been successful.

10. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

There was a study by ZSL Edge that concluded that the species was present across the majority of the island in both the DR and Haiti. This was including within very anthropized habitat and that it was much more common than previously thought.

The Hispaniolan hutia from what I remember reading seems to be far more sensitive to anthropogenic stressors.

The Cuban solenodon on the other hand does seem to be far more vulnerable than its close relative but I think they are still gathering the necessary baseline data on that particular species as there is a real paucity of information about its status.

11. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

One rather alarming thing I have just noticed from the update is that the sunflower seastar Pycnopodia helianthoides has joined the list as Critically Endangered. Mostly as the result of sea star wasting syndrome, but also climate change and fishing.

The IUCN Red List page for the species does seem to suggest that captive breeding and rearing is the most viable recovery option for many areas. It seems that captive rearing has already proved feasible and has the potential for cost-effective high production of young seastars on a relatively quick timescale.

12. CheeseChameleon1945

Im lost for words......:eek:

13. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

One thing about the update which I find super alarming is the case of Chitala lopis, which seems to have dropped from Least Concern, to becoming Extinct, reason being it not being seen for over 160 years despite extensive sampling, which leads me to question the fact why it was considered Least Concern.

14. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That seems odd given that there are decent color photos available, and even photos of them in aquaria.

15. CheeseChameleon1945

On IUCN its listed as extinct, but I have also found multiple color photos of them. Of course, theres always the possibility that those aren't actually depicting Chitala lopis, which I find Very likely. But its so scary to think that not all extinctions are gradual, some go from least concern to extinct very quickly. :(

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

"C. lopis" was a species complex found throughout southeast Asia, hence the previous treatment of LC (and hence the photos of live and caught fish on the internet). The "true" C. lopis is now considered to be an endemic Javanese species, which is most probably extinct.

17. CheeseChameleon1945

Thank you for the Clarification, that definitely clears things up @Chlidonias! :)

18. Mbwamwitu

Mbwamwitu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Shocked to learn that bonnet macaques are now considered Vulnerable. Such seeming abundance even in Indian cities.

Keith likes this.
  19. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Why is crab-eating macaque Vulnerable now? I’ve seen it in both cities and islands with no people, and it is also an invasive species outside its range.

20. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

IUCN usually doesn't account for species outside their range. The European rabbit is classified as Endangered despite doing well outside its native range in many places.