Join our zoo community

Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens Jacksonville Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by okapikpr, 26 Apr 2008.

Tags:
  1. Austin the Sengi

Austin the Sengi Well-Known Member

And in other news that do not focus on some random people being completely “unwise” when it comes to climbing safety barriers and provoking animals….

A second baby giraffe was born back on July 21st, with the mother of this new arrival being a female named “Figie”. (AJ has also been confirmed to be the father of the new calf as well) Although one of us might say that this new birth was once again, another result of a breeding “accident”. Mostly because “AJ” was not recommended by the SSP to breed with “Figie”. So in order to compensate with this dilemma, the zoo said that “Figie” will be placed on birth control to hopefully prevent this accidental pregnancy from occurring more than once throughout her reproductive lifespan. So until the birth control takes full affect, the zoo’s giraffe keepers will be rotating both parents on separate days from each other. With one of the calves being out on exhibit every day, while the other two (?) will be on display every other day. The new calf is also (currently) unnamed, and the gender is unknown at the time this post was written.

And as for the jaguar incident, did the zoo officially state on which individual big cat was directly responsible for attacking the victim. If that is not the case, I suppose it’s understandable. Mainly given the fact that the incident only occurred very recently as of right now. (July 29th)

StoppableSan likes this.
  2. Austin the Sengi

Both of the new giraffe calves that were born last month, have now been given names. With the zoo's Facebook page describing the following details:

"*NAMES REVEALED* The moment you’ve all been patiently waiting for... The male calf born on July 2nd has been named Trevor after THE Trevor Lawrence of the Jacksonville Jaguars football team. The sweet female born on July 21st has been named Helen Honey. The majority of our animals born at the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens are named by our supportive donors. They may pick names that are personal to them, as in the case with Helen Honey, who is named after a family member. Or, they may choose a name after a celebrity or pop culture icon. It’s a big responsibility, and thanks to the generosity of our donors, we are able to continue on the care for these beloved animals.

~ @Austin the Sengi

StoppableSan likes this.
  3. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

A third giraffe calf has been born!

The female calf was born on August 20th to mom Willow, and I’m guessing this calf is yet another “accident” and was sired by Dixon as well, before he left.

4. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Think they need to put up some cameras and monitors in that giraffe barn :D

StoppableSan, Jaxton and IndianRhino like this.
  5. Austin the Sengi

“Animals at Jacksonville Zoo to get COVID-19 vaccinations”

“Some animals at the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens will be getting their COVID-19 vaccinations soon. The zoo will be receiving vaccines this fall through Zoetis, a veterinary drug company authorized by the U.S Department of Agriculture. Although the zoo doesn’t have an exact date at this time, they do plan to vaccinate all of their animals that are the most susceptible to the virus. That includes both their big cats, and their primates as well. Other zoos across the United States, such as the San Antonio Zoo, Detroit Zoo, and the Oakland Zoo, have already begun in vaccinating most of their animals. Some of the animals included are baboons, wolves, bears, tigers and more”.

Now, I was already aware that several other institutions across the nation, (such as the three zoos that I listed above) were already in the process of vaccinating their animals, long before the article was published, but in the end. I just thought that this would be a nice and well-deserved break from all of the accidental giraffe birth news, that have appeared to be taking over this thread in general more frequently, as of late.

~ @Austin the Sengi

Last edited: 3 Sep 2021
    StoppableSan likes this.
  6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I am fairly puzzled here, as it seems not much science to support a proper vaccination program. Unless someone is able to provide the scientific verified data to support it.

(BTW: not in the business to deny a medical condition ..., mind you).

7. TinoPup

Uh, what? There is plenty of science to support it. Most major zoos, and many smaller ones, across the country have been vaccinating their carnivores and some primates at this point. Corona viruses are not new to animals. Corona is one of the shots young puppies get, along with parvo, distemper, etc.

Loxodonta Cobra and StoppableSan like this.
  8. Kifaru Bwana

I am talking blanket vaccination of all species, not particular animal groups. That really puzzles me and for science I would value trial scientific evidence. Papers?

9. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

As far as I’m aware, from working in the vet field, I had heard and read as well that while the main companies manufacturing the COVID 19 vaccines were being developed, Pfizer and Moderna, had undergone animal testing concurrently as the “Phase 1” trials with people. This was late last year, around fall/winter time. While the “Phase 1” trials for people went on, the animal species that were part of the trials were mice and macaques, according to the Associated Press.

Zoetis, a veterinary pharmaceutical company, is responsible in manufacturing one of the COVID 19 vaccines for animals, has recently donated a lump sum to some zoos willing to undergo the experimental trials. As for species being vaccinated so far are those who are part of the order Carnivora and Primate. They appear to be susceptible to this strain, not that Coronavirus is a stranger to the animal world at all. I myself was part of the “real world” trials of the COVID vaccine as of early January. While it still is considered an experimental vaccine with people and animals, the efficacy of the vaccine has been good with the reducing the likelihood of severe complications/hospitalization for people prior to the variants and still is being studied with the new strains too.

10. TinoPup

No one is blanket vaccinating all species, and no one here has even implied that's happening. It's cats, other carnivores, and primates.

Julio C Castro likes this.
  11. Kifaru Bwana

Thanks Julio, for confirming how things stand. I agree Corona is a zoonosis, just wanted to know where it all fitted into the fabric of virus and evidenced based research into animal susceptability to Corona.

Julio C Castro likes this.
  12. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

You’re most welcome! :)

13. IndianRhino

This little girl has been named Rosie!

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  14. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

15. Austin the Sengi

Now @John Marchwick, is there a chance if you can share the official images from the article to this thread, if possible. Because every time I have attempted to look them up, the images always end up being blurry and thus, I can barely make out on what they mean.

Antoine and StoppableSan like this.
  16. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Here are the images from the above article:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I would’ve but someone already beat me to it lol :p

I have to say this exhibit looks pretty amazing however concept art usually does. Hopefully it’ll turn out to be as impressive in real life as it shows in the concept art

18. nczoofan

nczoofan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So according to the zoos website the $50 million campaign will focus on four species: manatee, elephant, lion, and orangutan. From the schematic they show it also seems like Indian rhino and gibbon may be housed in the new orangutan complex as well.

19. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This looks awesome! My only apprehension is, that there will be disturbing reflections along the tank glas/windows. Maybe they can avoid this with shelters/roofs or - to keep the natural impression - with trees just right along the windows.

20. IndianRhino