Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Jaguars @ Chester

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by mjmorg89, 13 Oct 2008.

Tags:
  1. mjmorg89

mjmorg89 Well-Known Member

I have looked around at other threads for information on chester's jaguars but I have only found snippets of info, so:

Does anyone know any details about individual animals at chester (name, age, history, breeding success's, etc)

Has there been any successful breeding since the new exhibit was opened and if not what is the plan to try and change this, if anything? It seems that a lot of money went into the exhibit and for quite a few years I've not heard anything really positive about breeding.

If this info is already on the site and I've just missed it I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction :)

Matt

2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

They have 5 Jaguars,

A breeding pair, which have breed twice to my knowledge with all cubs only suriving a few days. The female is Sofia and I forget the males name but he is now getting on in age.

Then they have a family unit that came from Marwell. 2.1. Not sure on names but the female and her son share an enclosure, (He has had an op to stop inbreeding.).

This may have change because I don't go to view the Jaguars often now.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Someone can probably give you more accurate information than this but from what I know;

Pair in the Desert environment are m. Salvatore and f. Sofia. These have bred several times but no cubs seem to have been reared so far.

Rainforest environment initially held an old post-breeding pair from Rome Zoo- black female, spotted male. Later these died/euthanased and were replaced with Marwell's last Jaguars. I think these were a pair plus male offspring- both colour phases but not sure of names/sexes and if all three still present, or whether they are still capable of breeding.

I'm sure one of our Chester posters will give you more information.

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

You are correct with the savannah side of the house,on the jungle side on the inside they have Marwells breeding male who is a very fine Black Jaguar,outside of the jungle side is the mother and son from Marwell but he has had the snip.As for the breeding pair i believe they have had at least 2 litters none of which have survived also i believe the current recommendation is not to bred from any of the Jaguars at Chester.

5. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

So it appears that Spirit of the jaguar has been a complete flop. Its been open for 7 years and not a single surviving cub. Bit poor that. Maybe they need a new breeding pair, and the mother and son sent to another collection.

6. mjmorg89

Is there any reason why they've been asked not breed? Before this why were the black male from marwell and female from marwell not introduced as well as the breeding pair in the savannah side? Were the cubs that were born left to be mother-reared or taken to be hand-reared?

7. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Not sure on the answers to any of your questions so will just say i don`t know.

8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The leaf-cutting ants and butterfly goodeids are doing very well: and they don't even have sponsorship from Jaguar cars :)
    I have never thought much of this exhibit (does it show?)

Alan

9. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it was a flop because there has been no breeding! Chester started with a non-breeding pair. The breeding pair they have now have had two litters but none suvrived for more than a few days if a can remember right, which is common with first time moms.

It is also a fantastic enclosure for Jaguars, certainly the best in this country for them.

10. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Am not quite sure why they have not been asked to breed from them, other than a timing issue. The studbook keeper needs to ensure there are homes for any offpring and future mates. Also with no cubs surviving to date they may be reluctant to try again.

The Jaguars from Marwell are from an overrepresented line (on the male side) & I believe the female has had a couple of litters before so it has been recomended that no breeding takes place from these animals. As chester have room they have been retired there.

11. mjmorg89

That makes sense then. Isn't there a 3-time rule with breeding big cats? Who is the studbook keeper for jags?

12. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Yes, they usually rear there young fine by the third time.

I did know who the studbook keeper was but have forgotten. It has come back it was Mark Pilgrim, Chester Zoo. Am not sure if this is the case still.

Just add that if you go to http://www.eaza.net

animals/breeding programs, you can then select the type of animal and it will bring up the studbook keeper.

13. Pertinax

What colour are the female and her son? Do you know the names of the three ex Marwell ones?

14. Paulkarli08

Paulkarli08 Well-Known Member

The female and her son are spotted, and the male is black (marwell zoo's ex jaguars)

15. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I thought that when the Jaguar exhibit at Chester Zoo was being planned there was talk of obtaining some 'pure' jaguars either from a South American zoo or from the US . As far as I am aware all jaguars in the UK are of unknown origin . Just as there is no demand to breed 'zoo' leopards or tigers ( though lots of lions are still being produced ) I would have thought the situation would be the same for jaguars .

Can anyone add to these thoughts ?

16. Pertinax

I believe Jaguars from different parts of their age range do (like Pumas) exhibit size and maybe slight colour diffrences too. And yes, the UK jaguars are just representatives of Jaguars and with no priority to be bred from.

So I wouldn't call 'Spirit of the Jaguar' a flop just because they aren't breeding them. I think it needs to be judged on its merits simply as an exhibit. Personally I don't like the exterior very much but I think the interior is quite good. Also the larger 'waterfall' outdoor enclosure is good, though the one on the 'desert' side looks just like a pony paddock- not sure why one outdoor area is lavish and the other one isn't .:confused:

17. mjmorg89

I don't understand what is meant by 'zoo' Jaguars, leopards and tigers? And why are the UK jaguars just 'representatives'? I'm unclear as to the definition of this word in this situation

18. James27

James27 Well-Known Member

I think "zoo" Leopards, Jags etc maybe means hybrids of certain subspecies?

19. foz

foz Well-Known Member

i actually really liked spirit of the jaguar, and i dont think ewxhibits should be judged on the breeding success, so long as the exhibit is good and the occupants are happy breeeding isn't evrything. in fact i would be really pleased with a zoo which built an amazing exhibit for retirering animals that they dont want to breed. :)

20. Pertinax

I'm referring to animals of unknown or doubtful pedigree, although different subspecies of Jaguar have not been officially recognised I don't think.

By representatives I mean these animals represent the general species, not a particular subspecies(if there are any)