Join our zoo community

National Zoo and Aquarium Jamala Wildlife Lodge, National Zoo, Canberra: The lion sleeps with you tonight

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Astrobird, 19 Jan 2015.

1. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jamala Wildlife Lodge, National Zoo, Canberra: The lion sleeps with you tonight
    Jamala Wildlife Lodge, National Zoo, Canberra: The lion sleeps with you tonight

Andrea Black Jan 18 2015 at 12:15 AM

Bathing under the gaze of a lion is disconcerting, to say the least.

I am taking a bath when I notice a pair of eyes fixed on me. Less than a metre away, a giant head bangs against the window, huge front paws propped on the sill. Our eyes meet, mine full of fear.

It's opening week at Jamala Wildlife Lodge at Canberra's privately run National Zoo and I wonder, how thick is this glass? I look across the jungle bungalow where I am spending the night for an escape route, should this maned beast smash through the glass, all the while reassuring myself with titbits of lion-based information gleaned over the years.
    Didn't actress Tippi Hedren and daughter Melanie Griffith keep a lion in their California home? And wasn't Christian, the lion that was bought from Harrods and reintroduced to the wild in Africa, quite tame?
    Childhood memories came back of Mum and Dad driving the Volkswagen Beetle through the bleak and dusty Bullens Lion Park on Sydney's outskirts. Strict instructions were given: windows were to be kept firmly shut and doors locked.

I remembered schoolyard tales of the man who dared to walk from his vehicle, only to be savaged by a pride, and the tamer who was turned upon.

I have managed to slink out of the tub and one of the regal beasts emits a guttural roar. The other two - there are three at my window now - respond in kind. They're just curious; it's as new to them as it is to me. I'm immersed in their habitat, a spacious African-like savannah on the banks of the Molonglo River in Canberra.

"We tried to pick up a little bit of Africa and drop it into Canberra," lodge owner Richard Tindale says. "The feeling and the atmosphere when you walk into the lounge areas and their rooms is that you're in an African game park."

Tindale is talking about the uShaka Lodge, the seven-room main building of Jamala Wildlife Lodge. He, wife Maureen and six adult children - three of whom work at the zoo - are passionate about animal conservation, and Africa. The family bought the zoo in 1998 when it was little more than a rundown aquarium and petting zoo.

They have just opened 18 luxury bungalows and treehouses decorated in African motif, including animal print accessories, mosaics and artworks. Lions are carved into wooden doors. The Tindales picked up a lot of furniture and pieces from years visiting Africa. They also commissioned a leading South African sculptor to fashion "the Big 5" that adorn the dining room known as the Cave.

It is all part of a growing trend in Australia: overnight stays at zoos, from Sydney's Taronga Zoo glamping option to Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo's self-catered accommodation – with Jamala the first to offer hotel-style luxury.

Jamala's uShaka Lodge was formerly the owner's residence. Here, the pick is the master suite on a private floor. It has two bedrooms and private access to the shark tank allowing guests to experience hand feeding. Outside, there's an infinity pool, spa and a terrace on which to relax on while the monkeys watch.

The Giraffe Treehouses have a petting zoo full of alpacas in the frontyard. The main attraction, Hummer the giraffe, is still a little shy in his newly expanded environment, but keepers expect he will be greeting guests soon for balcony feeds.

Those staying in the jungle bungalows can choose to spend the night - like me - with lions, or cheetahs, brown bears or Malaysian sun bears. Heated pads attract the animals to the den-like decks by the windows.

At sundown, white lions and hyenas drop in on dinner for the Cave "animal in residence" program. They look on with sleepy indifference from the windowed room attached to their enclosures as guests feast on such South African delights as bobotie - a dish of spiced minced meat topped with a creamy layer of egg custard - and malva pudding.

Like any overnight zoo stay, the primary objective is immersion. We are taken on two safari experiences with zookeepers Renee and Natalie. We stroke Bernice the Burmese python, pat dingoes and get slobbered on by Hummer the giraffe – it's good luck for a year we are told. In the morning, on the top paddock of the open-range zoo, we meet African hunting dogs, cheetahs and ring-tailed lemurs, feed carrots to elands and stroke a crash of rhinos.

Jamala Wildlife Lodge is named after a beloved king cheetah that died at the age of four from renal failure.

"We probably get a bit too close to some of the animals," says Tindale of Jamala's passing. "Jamala was a king cheetah - one of only 30. He used to come and lie on my chest."

Tindale's love of big cats lured him away from a couple of lucrative businesses in the mid-1990s. He sold up and travelled the world to see animals in the wild. "I came to the conclusion that, other than Africa, the big cats are going to die out at some stage; there won't be too many left," he says.

The Tindale family's original idea was to run a big-cat breeding facility, but when the aquarium and land around it came up for sale, a zoo evolved. They take in rescued animals from circuses and work with other zoos worldwide in an effort to conserve endangered species.

As well as Jamala Wildlife Lodge, they offer wild animal encounters and a Zooventure Tour where, among other animal experiences, you can hand-feed a Sumatran tiger.

Offering a range of accommodation from camping and self-catered accommodation to all-inclusive decked African-style lodging, zoo stays have upped the comfort stakes.

Responding to public demand, at Taronga Western Plains Zoo in Dubbo, the Zoofari Lodge has recently undergone a $2.1 million redevelopment. Each of the 10 lodges features a double bath and a king-sized bed with sweeping views of giraffe, zebra and eland roaming the savannah.

In September 2014, the zoo opened the fully equipped self-catered Savannah Cabins and there is also the family camping experience, Billabong Camp, which opened in 2013. The zoo recently won the award for unique accommodation at the NSW Tourism Awards.

An overnight stay features a twilight tour at feeding time at the lion, cheetah and black rhino enclosures before heading back for fireside drinks and dinner. Come morning, a pushbike provides the perfect vehicle for viewing the zoo at your own pace.

"We differ from other zoos, as we have a wide variety of accommodation options," Taronga Western Plains Zoo's accommodation manager, Penny Costello, says. "I see that people are looking for value and unique experiences in their travels, I think that we tick all the boxes when it comes to the diverse needs of travellers."

Sydney's Taronga Zoo Roar and Snore could offer the best city views anywhere. It's a glamping option with purpose-built tents - named after different zoo animals - each with a double and single bed (with room for a second single). All linen is provided; eating areas and bathrooms are communal.

After a buffet dinner, you hike through the zoo on a night safari to see the nocturnal animals and hear about the zoo's conservation projects. The morning not only brings sensational Sydney panoramic photo opportunities, but also two behind-the-scenes experiences with various animals. The Roar and Snore program began 10 years ago as a camping experience at the zoo's education centre.

"It grew quickly into today's luxury camping experience," Libby Hodgson, Taronga Zoo manager, marketing and tourism, says. "We've been able to give people once-in-a-lifetime experiences that not only increases the visitors' knowledge and passion for wildlife, but also supports Taronga's work. Almost 80 per cent of Roar and Snore guests indicate they are going act more sustainably in future, from choosing sustainable seafood or using recycled paper."

Hodgson says there is growing demand for more immersive and experiential activities in zoos. "Coupled with that is an increasing awareness and desire among families to ensure their children connect with nature and get to experience nature and wildlife."

Knowing this, Taronga Zoo is expanding. It has just opened a treetop rope course called Wild Ropes encouraging young people to experience both the zoo and nature from a different perspective. Also new for children is the Backyard to Bush exhibit, where they can meet and touch guinea pigs and rabbits.

And this year's Taronga's Twilight concerts are going international. Until March 21, the harbourside amphitheatre will host some of Australia's best bands, as well as international guests such as Belle and Sebastian and Rufus Wainwright.

Elsewhere, Melbourne Zoo has just opened a $5 million Lion Gorge enclosure, where you can get so close you can feel the beasts' breath. In parts, designers have used glass and in others they have used strong mesh to separate the lions from the humans.

Tindale agrees with zoos reinventing themselves to offer more varying and immersive experiences. "We have found that the closer people get, the more impact it has on them. Our Meet a Cheetah program has been so good because you take people who really didn't have much interest and, all of a sudden, they are passionate about it because of that experience," he says. "Here, it's a bit more hands-on; you can get closer to the animals."

Not too close come bedtime, though. Back in my bungalow, securely tucked under the sheets in my canopied king-size bed, and assured by the Tindales that the safety glass is the best on the market, I am hoping the lion sleeps tonight. Luckily, the carved Maasai "watchful warrior" next to the bed is keeping me safe.

I am happy come morning, though, that the night was filled with more roar than snore - a regular reminder I am in the same range, albeit with my own creature comforts, with the kings of the jungle.

2. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Jamala Wildlife Lodge review, Canberra National Zoo & Aquarium:

http://www.traveller.com.au/jamala-...rium-australias-first-luxury-zoo-hotel-1m3lko
    Jamala Wildlife Lodge review, Canberra National Zoo & Aquarium: Australia's first luxury zoo hotel
    Andrea Black Mar 26 2015

THE LOCATION

Jamala Wildlife Lodge is housed in the privately owned National Zoo & Aquarium overlooking the Molonglo River in Canberra. It's just up the road from The Lodge where some might say a different type of wild animal roams. Guests at Jamala will share their surrounds with the giraffes, lions, bears, primates, tigers and more in among the 2.8 hectares of land.

THE SPACE

The 18 different suites are housed within African-like savannah enclosures, with the main uShaka Lodge built around the aquarium. There's an infinity pool and spa as well as an outdoor terrace where you can watch the monkeys watching you at uShaka Lodge. The jungle bungalows are built inside the spacious habitats of the lions, bears and cheetahs. There are also six giraffe treehouses with balconies overlooking a reserve with an outlook to the Molonglo River.

THE KIT

The main uShaka Lodge has seven suites, the pick being the master suite which has private access to the shark tank allowing guests to experience hand feeding. Only a reinforced glass window separates you from the wildlife if staying in jungle bungalows. You can expect to see the animals at very close range as heated pads lure the animals to the den-like decks by the windows. The giraffe treehouses have a petting zoo full of alpacas in the frontyard. Here, resident giraffe, Hummer, can be handfed from each balcony when he is feeling confident (on the night I stayed, he was hiding).

COMFORT

Rooms are modelled on an African lodge with a generous array of animal print accessories, mosaics and artworks imported from the continent. In the jungle bungalows the comfortable canopied king-size bed has an outlook perfect for surveying the animal enclosure. The free minibar includes Moet and if you are staying in uShaka Lodge you can help yourself to what can only be described as a maxibar, a giant fridge in the communal kitchen area.

The after-dinner hike back to the bungalows and treehouses down dirt pathways and steps is unlit and can be a little precarious, it's best to opt to be chauffeured in a golf cart.

FOOD

Guests are greeted with a drink and afternoon tea on arrival. At sundown, the group reconvenes on the deck of the main lodge and over a glass of champagne, watch as white lions, snow leopards and hyenas drop by. Dinner is in what's known as "The Cave", where either the hyenas or the lions look on from their comfortable-looking windowed den. Guests sit at communal long tables and sample South African dishes such as the spiced minced meat dish bobotie and also Malva pudding. A good range of wines is available. Breakfast is continental style with pastries, cereals, fruits and tea and coffee.

STEPPING OUT

For any zoo stay the primary objective is immersion, and there is little time to veer from the tight itinerary. Guests are taken on two safari experiences with zookeepers, one in the afternoon, and one after an early breakfast. On these tours you'll get to pat dingoes, stroke snakes and learn about the zoo's breeding programmes. The morning tour is a highlight with backstage access to the top paddock where you can meet African hunting dogs, cheetahs, ring-tailed lemurs, and touch the surprisingly soft rhinos.

For a full Canberra weekend experience, stay one night at Jamala Wildlife Lodge and another in one of Canberra's newer hotels such as Hotel Hotel or the East Hotel.

THE VERDICT

This all-inclusive overnight safari experience combines all the comforts you'd expect from a five-star resort (free Wi-Fi, robes, Molton Brown amenities) with a one-of-a-kind (in this country) immersive experience. Owners Richard and Maureen Tindale's passion for Africa is evident from design to cuisine. Don't expect much sleep if you are staying in the lion enclosure, it's an around-the-clock immersive experience, more roar than snore, but that's what makes it so special.

ESSENTIALS

It costs from $800 a night in a double room and includes afternoon tea, a three-course dinner, drinks, overnight accommodation, breakfast, an afternoon and early morning zoo tour to feed the animals. Children staying must be six years or older. See jamalawildlifelodge.com.au

The writer was a guest of Jamala Wildlife Lodge.

3. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member