Join our zoo community

January Photo Showcasing

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Julio C Castro, 15 Jan 2020.

1. Julio C Castro

Julio C Castro Well-Known Member Premium Member

January Photo Showcasing - ZooChat

Hey guys, I started a new album thanks to @Simon Hampel and we can post our monthly photos on here of what we consider our best, they don’t have to be from the month in the title although it is the emphasis. I hope everyone can join in, have fun everybody! :)

Arizona Docent likes this.
  2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would suggest we list the ground rules here, such as maximum number of entries. I see you entered three and I think that is an ideal monthly maximum. I know on your original thread you said people could submit up to five, but I think three is a better number. Just my two cents, take it or leave it.

Julio C Castro likes this.
  3. Julio C Castro

I was thinking of 4 entries after I mentioned 5, that way it’s roughly a new entry a week for each month for everyone to participate in :) As for ground rules: here are some for the gallery:

1. 4 entries per month, roughly a new entry a week.
    2. They can upload photos that can be found in the regular gallery if they’d like to.
    3. Photos don’t have to necessarily have to be from the month aforementioned in the title although it is the emphasis since some like @TinoPup has to develop photos.
    4. It must be photos we consider our best work meaning not blurry or potentially boring such as an animal butt as said before.
    5. To have the photos be of different subjects per month although they can be of the same subject the following month as long as all the entries for the month aren’t of the same one. Example such as 4 entries of the same big cat or pachyderm won’t be taken into consideration but you can enter the same photo of the big cat or pachyderm the following month along with 3 other different subjects.
    6. Photos aren’t strictly limited to zoological gardens. They can be from sanctuaries, aquariums, nature reserves, etc. Thank you to @RetiredToTheZoo for reminding me. Do try your best to add where they were taken either in the description or by adding tags.

Let me know if there are other rules or ideas we should use for the monthly gallery :) let’s all have fun and show off our work!

Last edited: 16 Jan 2020
  4. Arizona Docent

Good job getting this going @Julio C Castro and I like the addition of rule 5 (different animals featured).

5. Julio C Castro

Thank you very much and I hope we can all enjoy this thread!

6. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thank you so much for doing this! I think you have come up with a very good workable solution. I plan on doing my best to honor the intent by uploading photos taken in the current month being showcased. I am going thru photos I've taken during January in years past now. Hopefully, I come up with something.

Just one question concerning the ground rules. Are the submitted photos restricted to those from only zoological parks and aquariums, or may animal photos from wildlife preserves, refuges, national/state/provincial parks, or perhaps the wild in general, be considered ?

7. Julio C Castro

I’m glad you like the idea :) I forget to make that a rule that it doesn’t have to be only zoos, it was brought up before and they can be taken anywhere, try to add in the description or tags where it was taken so we could all know! :) thank you for reminding me, will add that to the rules.

8. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Aren't the photos supposed to be from the present year, rather than the past?

RetiredToTheZoo likes this.
  9. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think you are correct and that is Julio C Castro intent as well. However, since we are now over half way thru the first month at the start of this, and I have not, nor anticipate (due to the limited time remaining) going out to photograph animals this month, I am just trying to find some way to participate in this first month that honors the theme (the month) and will hopefully contribute in jump starting the monthly showcase. Going forward, I only intend to submit photos taken in the current month and year being showcased.

On a related note, participation in the monthly showcase will motivate me, and hopefully others, to get out more often, and also improve my photographic skills while doing something we all love to do.

10. Neva

Neva Well-Known Member

Well, I have a question about how do we define "the same subject"? I mainly focus on cats - small and big ones and I wondering... if I upload a photo of an Amur leopard - then a lynx and next one - a Clouded leopard - will it be ok? Do we define "the same subject" as the same species?

I'm really happy that this project is happening and can't wait to participate :)

11. littleRedPanda

I think the same subject would be for example, me posting 5 photos of the Leopard cubs at Colchester, whereas the Tiger cubs there would be considered a different subject.

Neva and Julio C Castro like this.
  12. Julio C Castro

@littleRedPanda the emphasis is to be of the aforementioned month in the title but due to some need to develop film or not being able to get the photos they want by the end of the month, they can post photos of another time if they’d like. The reason I put the month in the title is to hopefully see newer photos but we won’t discriminate any older photos if posted :)

@RetiredToTheZoo You post whatever photos you feel are your best work per the rules and if they happen to be older photos, it’s no problem at all! It’s just an emphasis by putting the name of the month in the title to hopefully get a plethora of new photos due to the many skilled photographers here. I’m so happy if everyone is encouraged to participate and grow in knowledge for their photography skills, I know I am :)

@Neva the same subject rule is strictly the same animal species. If you thrive or specialize in a certain group of animals such as you do with felines, they can all be felines if you’d like to post but the 4 entries per month would have to be of 4 different cat species. But if you see a particular species or subject that you like to photograph, they can be entered in the next month along with 3 different other animal species :)

Neva likes this.
  13. Arizona Docent

I think ALL the entries should be cat species! :D

Neva, Hipporex and Julio C Castro like this.
  14. Arizona Docent

I am giving this thread a bump in hopes of getting more entries.

15. Julio C Castro

Will be going to both SDZ and SDZSP for the next couple days, here’s hoping I get a good shot to upload :D

16. littleRedPanda

Apologies for forgetting this rule :D

17. Julio C Castro

It’s okay, we all do goofs and it’s not a deal breaker :) But as long as we stay on path despite occasional mishaps, everything is all okay!