Join our zoo community

Japan in January

Discussion in 'Japan' started by RatioTile, 12 Nov 2019.

1. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

I'm considering doing a zoo tour of the zoos and aquariums of Kansai, Japan, and surrounding prefectures. However, the latest I can do so would be in January 2020. I'm not sure how cold it gets in Japan in winter, nor how much it would snow. The aquariums shouldn't be any problem, but I'm concerned for zoos like the Asa Zoo in Hiroshima and the Japan Monkey Centre in Inuyama tropical animals like the African forest elephant and monkeys and gibbons may not be on display. Has anyone gone to Japanese zoos (outdoors) in winter? Are the animals outside?

2. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I’ve been to Hiroshima in December but didn’t make it to the zoo. I can’t comment on what will be on display but weather-wise coastal Kansai and Western Honshu don’t get much snow in general but it isn’t impossible. But compared with Tohoku and Hokkaido the climate is much more moderate. If you’re lucky it will be sunny and dry if a bit chilly.

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm going to tag in @devilfish and @FunkyGibbon as one visited Japan in February and I'm not sure when the other one went but it's worth a shot.

devilfish likes this.
  4. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I did Tokyo in January and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. A great time to visit!

Brum likes this.
  5. devilfish

devilfish Well-Known Member

Thanks - I've visited in January & October, both have been fine. A lot of indoor spaces at Japan's Monkey Centre are open to the public - so most animals should be visible. :)

RatioTile and Brum like this.
  6. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

I found that most animals were given outdoor access even on very cold days, including elephants. You might be unlucky with outdoor tropical monkeys though, since I found that both proboscis monkeys and douc langurs were offshow at Zoorasia.

RatioTile and devilfish like this.
  7. FrancoiseLangur

FrancoiseLangur Well-Known Member

Hi

JMC is open only on Mondays, Saturdays and Sundays in January (with the exception of the 9th and 10th being open), but most of the animals there are outside even during the winter time. Enjoy your trip!

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  8. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I went to Japan four times, but only once in the winter(February). I visit Kyoto Zoo, Kyoto Aquarium, Tennoji zoo, kobe animal kingdom and kaiyukan that time (you can check out my photo in the gallery). Most of the animal are on show even when that is 4 degree or something.

RatioTile likes this.
  9. RatioTile

RatioTile Well-Known Member

Is Kyoto Zoo worth visiting? What do they have that other zoos might not?

10. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I go to Kyoto for other reason actually. The zoo isn't really that impressive and can be tour within an hour or two.
    The species list in February 2018.