Join our zoo community

Japanese Lagoon Exhibit Concept

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by pachyderm pro, 12 Jan 2018.

1. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I recently went back a decided to revisit an old idea I had about a year ago. I posted it in the design a zoo thread, but I made some modifications and wanted to share it for constructive criticism.

I call it, Japanese Lagoon. This exhibit complex is just 6 acres in size and contains 10 exhibits. You first enter through a woodland trail that turns into a beautiful forested view. You first see a grassy island for Japanese macaque (Macaca fuscata). An energetic troop shares an island that is on a slight slope. From the view your at currently, its the middle point. If you head right, you will enter the open-air amphibian center/macaque glass viewing. I'll call it the Japanese longhouse. You enter and are greeted with an energetic group of macaques - on the lowest level of the island - and on the right, three amphibian terrariums. The largest most noticeable one is for Japanese giant salamander ( Andrias japonicas). Then also along the wall are two more for Japanese fire belly newts (Cynops pyrrhogaster) and Japanese fire belly toads (Bombina). That's not all, you can also luup around on a deck on the other side of the open air structure and catch a glimpse of the large woodland trees. Also on the other side of the building, a large 5,000 gallon freshwater aquarium with native fish (Species undecided).

Another unique feature the longhouse will provide, off-exhibit/holding areas for the macaques. The primates rooms will be located underneath the amphibian terrariums. The macaques cross tunnels underneath the public viewing area, as the glass viewing plaza is slightly raised to allow the macaques to cross to cross under. Staff will be able to access to off exhibit area through a door in by the amphibian tanks and can take an elevator down to the off-exhibit macaque rooms. This will of course also allow them to access the amphibians as well. Once you exit the longhouse you come pack out near either the exhibit trail, or more exhibits.

If one were to go right as soon as you walk into the exhibit area, you would enter a large boardwalk. On the right, the highest point of the Japanese macaque island. On the right, a long grassy hillside for Japanese serow (Capricornis crispus). Despite them being phased out of many institutions, I want them to hang on in collections for as long as possible. I plan on integrating existing woodlands as a backdrop to the yard. Once you get off the wooden boardwalk you come back down to ground with another view of the other side of the macaque yard. On the left, you approach a Japanese garden. Native plants dominate the outskirts with a koi pond in the middle of it all. Visitors will be able to pay 50 cents for a handful of koi feed which they can toss into the pond with filled with the iconic species. There will also be educational displays about Japanese architecture and there will of course be signs about the vegetation that's lines the garden circle. When your on the furthest East side of the garden, you can catch a view into the adjacent bird pond. It can also be viewed after exiting the yard and is across from the longhouse exit. This pond is lushly planted and contains lesser white fronted goose (Anser erythropus), gray heron (Ardea cinerea), common pochard (Ardea cinerea) and little egret (Egretta garzetta). I'm also considering a few more smaller duck species to include.

I linked a map of the area below, here is a quick key:

A.) Entance
    B.) Japanese Macaque Exhibit
    C.) Japanese Longhouse
    D.) Japanese Serow Exhibit
    E.) Japanese Garden & Koi Pond
    F.) Wooden Boardwalk
    G.) Serow Barn
    H.) Exit
    I.) Keeper Only Area

Again, I encourage feedback, please tell me your thoughts!

Attached Files:

2. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very cool, but I think this would do better as a Japanese complex in a larger zoo, rather than a stand-alone.

3. pachyderm pro

Well if it were every built it would of course been in a zoo. I just posted this as a stand-alone thread, but I always pictured it in a larger actual zoo.

4. pachyderm pro

I would also like to point out I made an error with letter H. That is the bird pond, not the exit.