Join our zoo community

Japanese Zoos

Discussion in 'Japan' started by markun, 4 Jul 2008.

1. markun

markun Well-Known Member

Does anyone have much experience of Japanese zoos? I lived there for three years and have been to Kobe, Osaka, Nagoya, Ueno and Zoorasia as well as a few aquariums. I can do some reviews from memory if anyone is interested but I wondered if anyone has news on the development of Zoorasia... When I was there 4 years ago they were talking about developing the African zone. Any news?

2. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would be very interested in reviews!

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome on the website and please do give us your reviews of Japanese zoos. And perhaps you can continue to feed us with news about births, transfers and new exhibits in Japanese zoos? :D

4. markun

markun Well-Known Member

ok, it's all from memory though, I wish I'd made better notes. I'll come back with some more detailed descriptions but in general Japanese zoos feature a lot of concrete, not much enrichment and stamp album style collections with a huge number of species, often including unusual species like koalas and snub-nosed monkeys. Zoorasia in Yokohama is the most attractive and modern and I think Higashiyama park zoo in Nagoya has the highest number of species. I'll be back with more later!

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

http://zoocheck.com/calgary/Japan Polar Bear report 2007.pdf

This is an interesting link that I've put on ZooBeat before, but I'll post it again for interests sake. It's a 205 page document on captive polar bears in Japan, and contains many reviews and photos from Japanese zoos. It ain't pretty...

6. Kifaru Bwana

Well, okay ...??? Our reviewer and first-hand experienced Japan zoo visitor markun said so that most Japanese zoos are in the concrete era of development and have yet to make a formidable leap forward (some zoos are already moving away from that style as he observed).

But for a review I would a 100 times put more faith in our reviewer or you - the latter especially when it comes to US/Canadian zoos - than in any of these so-called experts from Zoocheck (or PETA, or WSPA, or Care for the Wild for that matter) that have before anything else pre-conceived ideas about zoos and wildlife and a hidden agenda to shut out all those who enjoy a zoo experience from ever again having one.

Activism is fine if it the goal is or can be a positive conclusion (in this case it is most definitely not), but you need an unbiased (at least professional in attitude) judgement to be able to accurately and adequately review animal collections, exhibits, visitor facilities and amenities and its effective function as an recreational, educational and conservation facility. People like zoo accreditors or people like you and me whom we value for the judgement, honesty and clarity (while not shutting your eyes to any ills you may experience and writing openly about these). :cool:

7. markun

markun Well-Known Member

Although I loved living in Japan, animal welfare is, I think it’s not unfair to say, not a big priority. There are many zoos which are gradually improving but also places like bear parks which are dreadful with huge numbers of bears in concrete pits.

Bears in general don’t get a particularly good deal in Japan’s zoos and I wouldn’t argue with Zoocheck’s report one bit. It also notes that banging on windows is quite common, something I noticed too. I don’t always agree with campaigners but there’s no doubt from my experience that Japanese zoos have an awful lot of concrete and not much enrichment or imagination (a bit like their high schools…).

The Japanese love of aquariums is also reflected in this report which shows totally inappropriate polar bear enclosures – aquariums in Japan like to have everything from dolphins to whale sharks to sea otters to sun fish and are huge attractions, unusual species make them stand out even more and welfare doesn’t seem to be a major concern at all.

The small town where I lived had an incredibly depressing free zoo with Japanese macaques on a typical ‘monkey rock’ enclosure, emus in a tiny pen, wild boar in a sty, birds of prey in tiny aviaries, tanuki/racooon dogs and other small animals.

8. markun

markun Well-Known Member

Tama Zoo

This is the major zoo I didn't get to visit but click herefor some info. From what I know of it, some parts are impressive but others quite traditional with concrete and bars. I do know that they now have a national zoo style orang utan rope way from one enclosure to another. Has anyone been there?

9. Kifaru Bwana

markun,

OK, I take it from you (but not from Zoocheck).

So, Japanese zoos have a thing with unsavoury animal welfare issues that require much improvement (insularity is not a pre in this respect). What way forward? Who should take the lead?

The public banging on exhibits and throwing stuff into enclosures is a typical - in my view aberrant - behaviour by zoo going public in all East Asia. It should be more strongly discouraged by zoo management and animal care staff.

Can you tell me how JAZGA (the Japanese zoo association) works? How well advanced are their breeding programmes? I heard, but not experienced issues with animal transfers and municipalities making the decisions over zoo personnel (true?)? What way forward here too?

Finally, I have some news items from Hiroshima Zoo regarding animal species (it is simple birth, parents and sundry stuff)? Can you translate for us or know someone who can?

Appreciate all your comments!

Cheers,

Jelle

10. markun

markun Well-Known Member

I've no idea how JAZGA works but I wouldn't be at all surprised if what you say about the wishes of municipalities taking precedence over zoo personnel, lots of things work with orders coming from above like that. I think things might be changing though, certainly regarding things like enclosure design which are getting aesthetically better although not necessarily amazing for the animals.

If you send me the text from Hiroshima (another major zoo I didn't get to visit) I can have a look or pass it on but I'm about to go away fro 3 weeks then move house so it might be a while before I can deal with it :)

11. old zoo

old zoo Member

markun what was the town that you lived in name?

exotic animal in japan are easy to come by. mosed pet stores have monkeys,bushbabeys,owls,the list gos on. there is also an ice cream store that has some pengiuns in a horribly small tank with no land.(maybe this has stopped)