Join our zoo community

Jordan

Discussion in 'Jordan' started by Jackwow, 31 Mar 2014.

1. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It looks like I'll be heading off to Jordan next week for a few months working and I was just wondering if anyone has any knowledge about the wildlife there? I'll be working down by the Dead Sea so assume there won't be much around there but have read that quite a lot of bird species visit Jordan. Obviously I've done a bit of web searching but haven't found a lot of info.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

this is what you would be looking for where birds are concerned: Birding in Jordan (also has a section containing links to other relevant sites).

3. Jackwow

Thanks for that, I'll have a look later.

4. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Get to Wadi Rum!

It's a desert area and pretty close to Aqaba and it's an AMAZING place. There are many little bedouin camps in Wadi Rum, pick either one because it doesn't seem to matter much.

When you plan this, try and do some excursions in Wadi Rum when you can afford it. The more impressive wildlife (jackals, hyena's and the sorts) live deep into Wadi Rum and although there's little chance you might see something, you're bound to see nothing (as in, except a few birds and perhaps a few little night time critters like hedgehogs) when you stay close to Rum village and the bedouin camps, but many (if not all) would probably be willing to take you deeper into Wadi Rum if they can.

Also get to Petra, but that's like, duh...

We were in Jordan in 2012 and it is an amazing place (we just saw Petra and Wadi Rum and we loved the people as well. Stunning country.

5. Jackwow

Thanks jwer, not sure how much time I'll have for travelling as meant to be working but maybe at the end of my trip I can visit Wadi Rum. Petra I will definitely do on a weekend.

6. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When we were there, they also did something called "Petra by night". As far as I remember, it was every monday and thursday evening.

A small part of Petra is fenced off and lit with a lot of candles. It's a little bit tacky (touristy) but I loved it anyway (and proposed there :)). If you can squeeze it into the program, I would recommend it.