Join our zoo community

Kangaroo Island

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Hix, 24 Nov 2008.

1. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

I've just uploaded in to the "Australia - Wildlife" gallery some images I took last year when I was visiting Kangaroo Island.

I know it's not a zoo, but for zookeepers who like to see things in the wild, Kangaroo Island (KI) is a great place to visit as there is so much to see (as is evident in my pics). There is even a fauna park on the island at Parndarna.

The best thing about KI - apart from the abundant wildlife - is the fact that it is relatively empty of tourists. I camped at campsites where there were no other tourists. I had beaches all to myself (I might have to share them with a few seals and shorebirds, but that's better than squealing teenagers). And there is some spectacular scenery.

As a holiday destination I highly recommend it, especially if you are into native wildlife and wildlife photography.

:)

Hix

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

My wife and I spent 6 weeks travelling all over Australia for our honeymoon in May and June of 2007. The only bad thing to happen to us was a major screwup on a proposed excursion to Kangaroo Island, and so one of our life's goals is to eventually make a second attempt at visting. I've heard that there is an abundance of wildlife all over the island, and you've posted some great photos.

3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

KI is a great Location, i recommend it to anyone visiting SA

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

We actually managed to get to Kangaroo Island just before Christmas 3 years ago ... it was my first time despite being born in SA and living there until I was 25!

I agree it is a great spot. Now that I have my new camera gear, I'd love to go back and spend some more time there.

5. Hix

You'll find plenty to photograph! I took more than 300 shots in the hour I spent on the beach at Seal Bay!

Hix

6. Simon Hampel

I took about 70 with my compact digital and 50 with my film SLR the day we visited Seal Bay.

They were some of the last shots I ever took with the old film SLR back in 2005 ... I just got fed up with the poor quality of scanning available from photo processing labs and the cost of film and processing.

7. Hix

2005 was the last year I used my film SLR too. I've been using Kodachrome64 for the last 25 years and, after eventually finding someone who stocked it, I had to send the exposed film to Switzerland to get processed. I felt really lost without K64 until I bought a DSLR last year.

Hix

8. Simon Hampel

What did you buy ?

9. Hix

Canon EOS 400D body and a 70-300mm IS USM zoom. I had limited funds, so I bought the lens first, then chose the body (the best body in the world will take crappy photos if you have a crappy lens).

I have a Canon IXUS I bought a year before and I use that for my scenic shots and some macro stuff.

Hix