Join our zoo community

Keeper Deaths

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Mr T, 10 Apr 2012.

1. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

2. montagne14

montagne14 Well-Known Member

I saw a list once, of the 20 most dangerous proffesions. Zookeeper, wasn't one of them.
    Still got some exemples though:

Zoo: Zion Wildlife Gardens
    Year: 2009
    Circumstance: An experienced big cat handler who previously saved a fellow game-keeper from a tiger attack was himself fatally mauled at the zoo made famous by the "Lion Man" television show.

Zoo: Caracas Zoo
    Year: 2008
    Circumstance: A 10-foot Burmese Python killed a student zookeeper in Caracas on the weekend and was caught trying to swallow its dead human prey when horrified coworkers arrived.

Zoo: Berlin Tierpark
    Year: 2007
    Circumstance: A female zookeeper was trampled to death by a musk ox.

Zoo: Seaworld Orlando
    Year: 2010
    Circumstance: Animal trainer Dawn Brancheau of Seaworld in Orlando, Florida, was fatally attacked while performing with a killer whale.

Zoo: Loro Parque
    Year: 2009
    Circumstance: During a kille whale show, one of the animal trainers was pulled down under water and drowned.

Zoo: The Safari's Wildlife Sanctuary in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma (I know it's not a zoo, but still very interesting)
    Year: 2008
    Circumstance: Peter Getz, experienced animal handler, was killed by a liger. The liger bit him on the neck and the back before he was rushed to a hospital.

Zoo: Fuji Safari Park
    Year: 2005
    Circumstance: A Japanese zookeeper was killed and another was injured after a brown bear attacked them. He was pronounced dead at a hospital from blood loss, police said. He had suffered injuries to his head and left leg.

3. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

I was cycling to work this morning (running late as usual) and thinking about ZooChat, when "Mark Aitken" popped into my head. I think that was the gentleman's name, so I was wrong where the "H" was concerned.

Douglas Robertson was killed by the African Elephant Ben (short for Ebeni?) at Savage World (in English per the newspaper reports), Belgium in 1995. The animal subsequently went to Howletts I believe.

An interesting read is "Elephant Tramp" (1955) by George "Slim" Lewis who worked with Elephants in American circuses and zoos. It includes a photograph, taken by a visitor, of the Asiatic bull "Ziggy" trying to kill the author at Brookfield Zoo. He survived because the animal had driven his tusks so hard into the ground aiming for his keeper that it took him a moment to free them, allowing "Slim" Lewis the opportunity to stand up and shout at his charge who was taken by surprise.

Last edited: 11 Apr 2012
  4. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

zoo: unknown
    year unknown

keeper who worked with crocodiles for 36 years killed by adult caiman

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Your post reminded me of this incident, which I heard about on a BBC broadcast. It wasn't at a proper zoo, but the story has all sorts of resonances. Here is the script.
    BBC News - The crocodile feeder of Ivory Coast

6. bloodycurtus

bloodycurtus Well-Known Member

i believe howletts and port lyme both work no contact with there elephants.

on the subject of keeper deaths the was a wolf keeper killed last year a tiger keeper this year both somehwere in europe. and i believe a elephant keeper was killed in fiji and another in new zealand was put in a criritical condition by a young bull.

there was also a keeper killed by a giant ant eater i believe

Details about the wolf keeper

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tony-phillips/wolves-kill-keeper-at-swe_b_1606309.html

tiger keeper at cologne

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ped-enclosure-gate-wasnt-closed-properly.html

Anteater one was 2007
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/17/anteater_attack/

7. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bronx Zoo
    A keeper cleaning the Amur Tiger exhibit was mauled by two of the big cats.
    Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo
    Back when the zoo had Asian Elephants and used free contact, a female elephant knocked a female keeper down and stomped her head.

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

this is my favourite one. An unknown keeper in an unknown zoo in an unknown year. At least the species is there :D

9. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Except that it was Nile crocodile(s), not caiman ;) - see my previous post :p

Alan

10. AskAlice

AskAlice Well-Known Member

Zion Wildlife Gardens is in New Zealand not South Africa.

The attack happened on Dalu Mncube on 27 May 2009. He was killed by a white male tiger named Abu.

The Coroner's inquest was only a month or so back. He has not at this stage come back with his findings on Dalu's death:)

11. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

-Presumably the elephant keeper was on holiday in Fiji, as there are no elephants there, so that wouldn't really count as a keeper death.
    -There are only female elephants in NZ, and one did kill a female keeper earlier this year. The incident you are referring to was at Taronga Zoo, Australia.

12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

the NZ/Aus circuses used to tour Fiji and probably other Pacific Islands(Jumbo/Mila, for example, toured Fiji several times I believe). I don't know the circumstances or veracity of the claim here though.

A very quick google search found nothing on Fiji (which means nothing) but I did find one in Hawaii in 1994: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyke_(elephant)

13. RoyD

RoyD New Member

You're absolutely right. Mark Aitken was his name and was, in fact, the young brother of George Jacob's wife, Joanna. He was only 20.

14. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was at Bristol's Wild Place the other day and I overhead a visitor tell his girlfriend that zebras kill more keepers than any other animal. I've read through this thread and not one mention of a zebra so far.

15. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have never heard of a Zebra attacking a keeper, let alone killing one. But I have heard of Axis deer being responsible for deaths- in Europe in the past, but have no references.

Cassidy Casuar and Ned like this.
  16. natel12

natel12 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A lot of these deaths were caused by elephants which is why lots of zoos have them in protected contact. They are regarded as code red or dangerous animals, and some zoos *cough cough* Pittsburgh *cough cough* still have them in free contact which I find ridiculous

17. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Here's a few I found that I don't think have been mentioned:

Zoo: Orsa Rovdjurspark
    Year: 2017
    Circumstance: 19-year-old keeper killed while showing visitors the bear enclosure, which was supposed to be empty. Teenage zookeeper killed by bear in Sweden - Radio Sweden

Zoo: Nicolas Bravo Zoo
    Year: 2018
    Circumstance: Keeper forgot to shut gate separating feeding and sleeping areas in the lion enclosure, was killed while cleaning. Mexican zookeeper forgot to shut gate before killed by lion

Zoo: Hamilton Zoo
    Year: 2015
    Circumstance: Zoo Curator killed by older female tiger. Keeper killed by tiger at Hamilton Zoo

Zoo: Bannerghatta Biological Park Zoo
    Year: 2017
    Circumstance: Killed by an 18-month-old white tiger while cleaning up after feeding. A sibling joined in after the keeper was dead. Horror as zookeeper mauled to death by white tigers while he cleaned their enclosure

Zoo: Fuzhou Zoo
    Year: 2018
    Circumstance: Keeper tilled by former circus tiger during training.

Zoo: Lincoln Park Zoo
    Year: 1945
    Circumstance: Worked killed by black bear while cleaning cage.

Zoo: San Diego Zoo
    Year: 1942
    Circumstance: Animal trainer attacked (killed?) by Himalayan brown bear.

Zoo: Denver Zoo
    Year: 1934
    Circumstance: Keeper attacked by two grizzlies after spraying them with hose.

Zoo: John Ball Zoo
    Year: 1985
    Circumstance: Jaguar opened automatic door and killed pregnant keeper. https://www.upi.com/Archives/1985/12/13/Cage-door-blamed-in-fatal-jaguar-attack/1337503298000/

Zoo: Denver Zoo
    Year: 2007
    Circumstance: Jaguar got into employee access hallway and killed keeper.

Zoo: ??
    Year: ??
    Circumstance: Retired keeper returned to help cover staff shortages, was attacked and killed by 11 year old lion during feeding. Security gates had been left open.

Zoo: Yeshanko Wildlife Zoo
    Year: 2016
    Circumstance: Idiot jumped into Walrus pool to get a selfie. Both he and the keeper who tried to rescue him were drowned.

Zoo: Miami MetroZoo
    Year: 2016
    Circumstance: Keeper didn’t see/ignored sign saying a tiger was in the paddock when arriving in the morning; tiger left out attacked when he opened the gate. Keeper had suffered a head injury from a rhino 4 days before and had been having vision problems, sleep issues as a result. https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article72217807.html

Zoo: Knowland Park Zoo
    Year: 1991
    Circumstance: Elephant attacked and killed handler

Zoo: San Antonio
    Year: 1992
    Circumstance: Elephant lifted keeper with trunk and slammed him down, killing him

Zoo: Lowry Park
    Year: 1993
    Circumstance: Elephant swatted handler to the ground with its trunk, kicked her in the head

Zoo: Pittsburgh
    Year: 2002
    Circumstance: Elephant pinned handler to ground during walk, killing him

Zoo: Knoxville Zoo
    Year: 2011
    Circumstance: Employee pushed into stall by elephant

Zoo: Dickerson Park
    Year: 2013
    Circumstance: Elephant killed keeper

18. Joker1706

Joker1706 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zoo: Vienna
    Date: 05.03.2002
    Circumstance: 21-year old female keeper was killed by three Jaguars, as she prepared their food (security gate was left open)

Zoo: Duisburg
    Date: 03.07.1961
    Circumstance: Experienced keeper was attacked by the male wart hog during the feeding. The wart hog hits the Aorta of his upper leg and he bled to death.

Zoos: Münster & Cologne
    Dates: Sept. 2013 & Aug. 2012
    Circumstance: Experienced keepers forgot to close the safety gates and get killed by the zoo´s male tigers.

Countries: Austria / Netherlands
    Zoos: Vienna & Beekse Bergen
    Dates: 2005 & 2003
    Circumstance: Elephants (bull in Vienna / cow in Beekse) killed their keepers.

19. animal_expert01

animal_expert01 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The incident was caught on camera... It was definetly a Nile crocodile...

20. Kniepert13

Kniepert13 Well-Known Member

Quite an interesting thread to read