Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Keeper killed at Hamerton

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 29 May 2017.

1. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

As has rightly been pointed out, this article is nonsense. Attempting to use an inspection report from four years ago (the recommendations of which were time-sensitive and presumably have been met) to try and pin the blame for this incident on the zoo is totally unjustified. Such speculation is not only inaccurate but deeply insensitive.

marmolady, Water Dragon, dean and 6 others like this.
  2. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree, it seems that any excuse, however insensitive, is clearly an opportunity for another general "zoo-bashing" from the press - however it does highlight just how ignorant they are where zoos are concerned.

Out of interest does anyone know which particular tiger is was ?

3. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

From what was said in The Sun it was one of the Malayan Tigers

4. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Better wait for official confirmation then!!

MagpieGoose likes this.
  5. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It was one of the Malayan tigers. Aerial photos of the incident show their enclosure

6. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've seen aerial pictures of the white tigers too though, if it was on the Currant Bun website, wait for official confirmation

7. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Ok, many thanks guys.

8. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

The aerial footage showed both enclosures, but only the Whites are visible. However, the Malaysian Tigers are often inside or out of sight and are never out together.

9. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is very sad news for all concerned.

According to the news today and the other media the police are now going to investigate the circumstances of the death which is a U-turn from earlier reports, they do state that they're working with the local council and I should imagine Health and Safety as well.

10. taun

taun Well-Known Member

The health and safety executive will investigate any work place death (or serious injury)...the zoo would have no say in the matter.

11. littleRedPanda

From their Facebook in the last half hour

We have received a number of enquiries from members of the public asking about the tiger following last weeks incident.

After extensive consultation with the staff at the zoo, we have decided not to put down the tiger. This decision has been fully supported by Rosa's family.

We are awaiting the findings of the investigation to fully understand what happened before we take further action on this matter. If we receive regulatory or professional guidance to the contrary, we will review our position.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. littleRedPanda

14. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

15. gentle lemur

16. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

There have been a spate of articles about the death of Rosa King in the last day or so. I am not sure why since they seem to refer to the July 12th coroner's report already reported upon. Nonetheless they are worth reading. Two points are made that the Guardian articles linked above either do not make or do not dwell on.

The first is that between the time of Rosa King entering the enclosure and the time of the discovery of her body the enclosure was unsecured and the tiger could have exited and potentially attacked members of the public.

According to the report airlock-style gates have now been installed that would in theory prevent any part of the enclosure ever being open to the outside.

The second is that at the time of the tragedy in 2017 Hamerton did not have firearms (guns) on site. When the report was released in July 2019 Hamerton still did not have firearms onsite, although two staff members do now hold firearms licenses. It is not reported what the situation is in December 2019.

Here are two of a number of articles:

Coroner warned of future deaths at zoo if measures aren't taken

'Only by chance' tiger didn't attack zoo visitors after mauling keeper to death

(Be aware that the second article makes at least one factual error: it refers to Rosa King caring for a tiger cub whereas in the report it is a serval kitten.)

17. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can't help but question the reasoning behind the sudden string of articles coming out about this two years after the incident and 6 months after the end of the inquest. From a quick search, I see that most are making a pretty big deal about the potential for other members of the public (particularly children) to have been hurt, too, had the tiger left the enclosure. I do wonder if we're seeing a push from the zoo-anti lobby to get the story circulating again...

~Thylo

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The July inquiry put paid to that already!

19. gentle lemur

I had not heard of a Prevention of Future Deaths Report before. I have learned that a Coroner can choose to write one after an inquest to notify any person or organisation to take action to prevent future deaths, based on the findings of the inquest. The recipients must respond within 56 days, reporting on what they have already done or propose to do. The Report and these responses are sent to the Chief Coroner. The Report was published on 18th September at https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Rosa-King-2019-0239.pdf
    The articles in the local press use information from this report: I don't know why they were published so long after the report was. The responses from the zoo, its safety advisers, the police, DEFRA and the HSE (Health & Safety Executive) can also be published by the Chief Coroner in some form, but the press reports do not mention them, so I suppose that this has not been done.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.