Join our zoo community

Keeping Dingo as Pets

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by Jarkari, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was recently surprised by the laws regarding Dingo Ownership in different states in the country. I was particularly surprised that NSW has no laws regarding the keeping of a dingo as a family pet. Coming from a state that has restrictions on just about everything.

My next statement may be a bit hypocritical but I personally don't think a dingo should be available to just anyone. I believe there should be some kind of licence system involved to help deter idiots from getting their hands on these animals.

The Dingo is in a seriously bad way and not many organisations are doing much to help them. One scientist estimated that the purebred Dingo will be extinct in the wild in Australia by as early as next year.

I have a new found passion for Dingo Conservation and think they are amazing creatures and are very different to domestic dogs.

I am interested in hearing people's thoughts on keeping them as pets in various states as well as the state of the pure bred Dingo.

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Jarkari, As a dog person myself I agree with you in regards that Dingo's should be on some kind of licence, I know myself having had pure bred dogs for many years there are ALWAYS some folks that want to cross breed dogs for one reason or another which can lead to a number of problems for certain dog breeds, we have a large number of back yard breeders in this country breeding to a market just for the money with little regard for anything else

3. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Rubbish! You need to get out and about a bit more.

4. Steve Robinson

He should get out and about with you. Is he angling for a grant?

5. Steve Robinson

6. Jarkari

which part? or both?

7. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

8. Jarkari

LOL Maybe he is.
    This is just some information I've read. I know the purebred population is not that great in the wild. I believe some states in the recent past, if not still regard the dingo as a pest. In fact in NSW The Dingo went from being a pest animal to a companion animal in the eys of the law. This is the part I find a bit ridiculous, especially given that they are very different to domestic dogs. I'd call them catdogs. I'm not a fanatic and I know there are a few out there but I still find them very beautiful.

HOWEVER!!! . . . I know the bad rep they have been given ISN'T totally undeserved (I grew up on properties and know many stockmen from central Australia that have had serious issues with the dingo taking stock) and they are incredibly cunning animals.

9. Steve Robinson

Both. To say that the dingo is in a "seriously bad way" is akin to saying the same thing about the koala, the kangaroo and the crocodile. A headline grabbing statement with no basis in fact.

To say that "not many organisations are doing much to help them" is similarly not correct. There are so many people who are devoting great resources to DNA profiling the dingo and breeding them true to type. And it's not even a fair dinkum Aussie dog! I wish that as much effort was going towards helping, say, the Northern Hairy Nosed Wombat.