Join our zoo community

Knowsley Safari Park Knowsley Safari Park News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Embu, 29 Jan 2017.

1. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm currently at Knowsley, weather is dry (always a bonus.)
    I have seen the bison what a magnificent species!!
    Lions doing what they do best sleeping but still great to see.
    Haven't seen tigers or Iberian wolves unfortunately :(
    Seen the zebra for first time as we missed out 2 years ago.
    Unfortunately no bongo unlike last time
    Rhino calf was hiding in doorway with mum but 3 were in yard.
    Off to see elephants & giraffe shortly

2. NigeW

NigeW Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Quite significant changes afoot at Knowsley, including the elephants moving to Beauval (temporary, I presume, as plans for a new state of the art elephant facility are mentioned), a new savannah area for giraffes, scimitar-horned oryx and blesbok, and most welcome a new enclosure for the Iberian wolves in the Wild Trail section. I'll be able to get a decent photograph now then!

More info here:

Knowsley Safari

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I expect the current elephant group will stay put in Beauval and take part in breeding attempts there. Knowsley will eventually be receiving new elephants courtesy of the ele program.

4. wayne4swfc

wayne4swfc Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The elephants from twycross perhaps? Seems to be a lot of movement of eles at present.

5. Brownie

Brownie Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I suspect the elephants from Twycross will join Kate at the new facility at Blackpool.

6. NigeW

I wonder whether the new herd will also be African then?
    No doubt its too early to speculate, answering my own question :)

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The current elephant house will be adapted for Giraffes. The new Elephant facility should be finished in 2019 if all goes to plan
    Knowsley Safari

Lots happening for Elephants in the UK at the moment. Hopefully all changes for the better

8. Embu

Zoo Parc de Beaval is home to Longleat's herd of African elephants, will the 2 herds potentially be mixed in the long run or always be kept separate ? Obviously separate to start with. Exciting times for Knowsley L

9. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This move from Knowsley to Beauval has been very long on the cards and I am well glad it is finally getting the go-ahead.

I just sincerely hope 2 things will be achieved: A) that the new African elephant EEP keeper will stick to his guns and do what is im tje best interest of the elephant breeding program per se rather than what individual zoos or elephant managers and keepers want. Meaning: transfers and recommendations reflecting the best possible social herd structure and cohesion of individual elephant groups herds

In the case of KSP this means that the herd should stay together at Beauval and will now get the opportunity to breed - which had been true for a very small part of their herd in the past - or will get that opportunity full stop - after having been without a good bull for some considerable time period. Another issue that needs sorting: that Beauval will finally invest in getting their bull situation sorted which will allow for natural breeding of their elephant herd(s). Allthough, I do recognise their is an interest in continuing AI technology for cows without access to a bull (and or in cases of repro-medical issues and hormonal / cycling therapy).

NOTA BENE:
    As it is, and this for the best part of the past decade the African elephant EEP has been in crisis mode (early 2000'ish demographic studies were done with future projections for both Asian and African elephant programs) and remains to this day. Whereas the Asian program has grown to an extentthat sustainability of the European captive population is assured, projections for their African species are far from favorable.

Unless, we starting dealing with the African elephant program in full matrilines rather than in sticking several unrelated elephants together for any specific time, allowing all reproductively able and good age class cows and bulls access to or in a breeding situation and do not leave breeding age cows and bulls in a non-breeding situation for a considerable amount, this situation will persist. I would even go so far as to say that a case in Europe could be made for further imports from the wild of "culling" type Africans where this serves the interest in reproductively well placed males and females for the EEP.

10. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

Is the old bug/reptile house still around? It didn't seem to be open on my last visit.

11. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

News from Twitter the park has shwon the first image of a baby male Bactrian camel to mother Gertie!

12. Embu

Is this the first camel birth for a while ?

13. NigeW

Nor me. It looks as though its been converted to an education/classroom facility, and has also disappeared from maps. Looks like its history, unfortunately.

14. Water Dragon

Water Dragon Well-Known Member

What a shame. It was the only place that I have ever seen a Morelet's crocodile.

15. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Bloody hell I am shocked they are nearly as common as dwarf crocs/caiman

16. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Zootierliste lists 9 UK collections as holding Morelet's Crocs: many of these holders are smaller collections, and Knowsley is the only one in the north-west, so it's not too surprising that some members based in the region will not have seen the species anywhere else.

Water Dragon likes this.
  17. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

0:1 Bactrian Camel arrived from Cotswolds Wildlife Park called 'Patrica'

18. Nisha

The park's Facebook page now indicates that the Elephants will be leaving for France sometime in June

19. Nisha

2.0 Giraffes have arrived - The first, Orbit has come from Woburn. Is the other male, Alexander also Woburn bred?

MagpieGoose likes this.
  20. Embu

Yes both were born at Woburn.
    AFAIK
    Alexander N : 2013
    Orbit : 2014
    Its great that Knowsley have more giraffe at last & there's no need for more hybrids here as there all seem to be in single sex groups or castrated

Kifaru Bwana likes this.