Join our zoo community

Knoxville Zoo elephant keeper killed

Discussion in 'United States' started by CritterBlog, 15 Jan 2011.

1. Saro

Saro Well-Known Member

Interesting ! Thank you John.

2. LBerggren

LBerggren Member

I'm in charge of an animal training program at a Zoo in the UK. When you work in this industry you come into regular contact with trainers and other animal professionals from collections not just in your local area or country, but from around the world (as I'm sure many reading this post would be familiar with). Elephant trainers are more than happy to share their thoughts and views and what methods they use with someone from within the industry - especially a trainer. Are you suggesting these experienced elephant keepers (from large, reputable, 'colourful' zoos by the way) are sharing information OTHER than the reality of the situation?

I know elephant FC keepers (not all!) will come up with excuse after excuse to why PC is worse than FC. Very often they use the elephants themselves (just like most of you guys are doing) as a reason to why using protected contact shouldn't be considered. One large zoo that we are all familiar with which recently(ish) went over to PC, reported amongst their group of 7+ animals 1 female (ONE) which took longer than the rest of the herd to acclimatize to the new system of work (however, she did acclimatize) whilst 3 of the keepers (FC) never did and as a result left their work with animals all together. Elephants who have the problem, uh?

If anyone deems me 'dramatic' for taking a strong position against this method then I'll be dramatic with pride. I have several ethical and moral standpoints when it comes to the responsible treatment of animals - Thankfully most of us new (modern) generation animal professionals do!

3. LBerggren

LBerggren Member

It isn't my interpretation. I wouldn't go on a public forum, disclose my name and discuss this with immense amount of passion if I didn't know what I was talking about.

Yes, it is my opinion that it is hypocritical, unethical and irresponsible for any Zoo to use positive punishment as well as deprive animals in their care from the very basic element of behavioural welfare: choice and control

What's yours?

To anyone who's sitting on the fence: Phone up your nearest zoo that keeps elephants in FC and ask to come and volunteer on the elephant section for a month during your holiday. Share your experience with us here on the forum. OH, sorry what? Didn't get through the front gates? Offered the wallaby section? Elephants to sensitive to visitors?

Apologies for slipping into childish sarcasm for a short spell there. It is rather sad.

4. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I think I will have to leave it here that we agree to disagree.