Join our zoo community

Koalas considered "functionally extinct"

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Loxodonta Cobra, 17 May 2019.

1. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

4. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

The article explains all this. Its from a ecological point of view. Quite interesting.....

5. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

If 80,000 is functionally extinct, how many other species are functionally extinct?

ZooBinh likes this.
  6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Reading the article they indeed do not seem to understand what functionally extinct is, at least they present no ecological evidence to dupport it... It is better to read what the IUCN red list has to tell than copying the text of a very specific lobby group

Goura likes this.
  7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

The way I understand it, they are saying that in certain areas the Koalas are now absent and therefore are not part of the ecosystem any more, and that means they are no longer a functioning part of that ecosystem (so, "functionally extinct in the Australian landscape" or whatever their phrasing was). That isn't what functionally extinct means of course, but I think that's what they are trying to say. I also think it is deliberate on their part to create a more scaremongering atmosphere to further their cause.

8. toothlessjaws

toothlessjaws Well-Known Member

And lets be honest, its a valid cause. Unfortunately the word "endangered" has completely lost its impact. So common is its usage that it has almost has become a default prefix for the word "animal". Almost as if its synonymous with the word "exotic".

I hate misinformation, but at least the article does state their definition of the term. Most people don't understand the accepted interpretation anyways.

jayjds2 and ThylacineAlive like this.