Join our zoo community

Helsinki Zoo Korkeasaari Zoo, Helsinki

Discussion in 'Finland' started by Sun Wukong, 6 Mar 2009.

1. Platypusboy

Platypusboy Well-Known Member

A vicuña foal has been born a few days ago

2. Platypusboy

Fennec fox Nym has been put down this month due to health problems. The zoo only has one female left now.

3. Platypusboy

A new white lipped peccary piglet was born on December first. This is the zoos second piglet (I think) and they have a group of six.

Aramar, twilighter and HungarianBison like this.
  4. Aramar

Aramar Well-Known Member

There were two piglets born this summer. The new piglet is already the third one.

Antoine and Platypusboy like this.
  5. Platypusboy

I was actually thinking that I remembered them already having two births but I only found one news page on their website but thanks for the correction. Also nice to have another Finnish zoochat member!

Aramar likes this.
  6. Platypusboy

Helsinki zoo has received a male White rumped shama from Copenhagen zoo this month. It joins the already present female in the rainforest side of the Africasia house.

7. Platypusboy

The urials have returned in November with a new male coming from Nordens ark and some females from Tallinn zoo. Amount of females is unclear.

8. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Great news!

Platypusboy likes this.
  9. Platypusboy

Another piece of news is that the zoo is now down to just a single male crested partridge. The female died at some point in the last few months.

10. Platypusboy

I agree! In a few days I am going to visit the zoo and I’m most likely going to make an animal inventory of the zoo.

twilighter likes this.
  11. Aramar

Aramar Well-Known Member

Cool! I hope this time they do well and stay longer in the park. Last time it was very difficult to see them since they were always hidding on the upper part of the mountain.

Platypusboy likes this.
  12. Platypusboy

That is actually so relatable, it was always such a nightmare getting even a glimpse of them.

Aramar likes this.
  13. Aramar

Aramar Well-Known Member

I visited the zoo today and it's beautiful when it's all covered in snow like today ❤️.

The tigers and the Przewalski's horses seem like they are mating. Hopefully we'll have some babies!

14. aeemeli

aeemeli Member

Already got new ones from Münich, now the total is 3.3 :)

The only male horse in the group is castrated, but the tigers are mating and we're keeping our fingers crossed for them! The bearded vultures were also mating this week.

JurassicMax, Aramar and Platypusboy like this.
  15. Platypusboy

Great news about the partridges! I’m just bummed that thanks to corona they aren’t viewable. Also do you perhaps happen to know how many mindanao bleeding hearts the zoo has?

16. aeemeli

aeemeli Member

Just two, both are males and already quite old (around 15 years I think?).

Platypusboy likes this.
  17. Mr Gharial

Mr Gharial Well-Known Member

I'm doing a bit of a project on artificial ecosystems and the use of greenhouses in zoos and the Borealia house in Helsinki / Korkeasaari zoo appears to be the only Temperate greenhouse, now I'm wondering what exactly the use is for the Borealia house?

What made the decision to use a greenhouse and not an aviary?

JurassicMax and Platypusboy like this.
  18. aeemeli

aeemeli Member

Borealia house was built in the 90s to display the Finnish wetlands (many of which are endangered ecotypes) and its species - for example the ruff (Philomachus pugnax) which is critically endangered in Finland. Since the ruffs naturally migrate for the winter, they would need a warmer indoor space anyway if they lived in an aviary. So why not make the indoor space a walk-through experience for the public!

Inside the house there's the open space for the birds, but also terrariums for the grass snake (Natrix natrix), common toads (Bufo bufo) and European harvest mice (Micromys minutus). A newer feature is video display explaining the daily work of the zoo's Wildlife Hospital. The tufted ducks (Aythya fuligula) now living in Borealia house actually used to be patients in the Wildlife Hospital: they didn't recover enough to survive in the wild anymore, so they got to stay in the zoo.

The Borealia house also has aviaries placed along two of its sides. There's a hawk owl (Surnia ulula) and an Eurasian pygmy owl (Glaucidium passerinum, which has a similar backstory as the tufted ducks) living in two of them all year round. The birds living inside the Borealia house can also use some of the aviaries during the summer if they want.

19. Aramar

Aramar Well-Known Member

I don't know if you can answer this, but where on the island is the hospital located? Is the rectangular building on the peninula where they are building the bridge? Since I don't speak Finnish, I find it difficult to find information about it. Thanks!

20. Platypusboy

@aeemeli are the green winged teals still on display in the borealia house?