Join our zoo community

Lack of holding pens in seal sanctuaries (residents)?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by sealion, 27 Aug 2012.

1. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

It occurred to me that most (if not all) UK seal sanctuary enclosures for resident seals do not have holding pens or a means to separate the animals (unless they stick a temporary fence through the pool, e.g. for pregnancies). I thought it was regulation for zoos to have this, as all sea lions in UK zoos do so why do seal sanctuaries not have to comply with this?

I understand that they don't want to "humanise" the seals that are going to be released and so have limited contact with them, but this isn't so with the resident seals.

Most resident seals (greys and harbours usually) are not trained for husbandry at all (or very little) either so it's not like this could be a reason.

Are the laws different for the two types of establishment? I know that some sanctuaries have zoo licenses (if not all??) to withhold.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious. Does anyone know?

Thanks

2. John Dineley

John Dineley Well-Known Member

I suspect you could get away with having one basic exhibit but from an animal management point of view this seems foolish. In the case of other zoo animals such as cats or primates most good zoos have at least one or two off show holding areas or at least holding faculties on site to deal with animals that may require isolation in the case of sickness.

The basic standards for animal exhibits under the Zoo Licensing Act can be found here:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/zoos/standards-zoo-practice/

However, I would suspect that on periodic zoo inspection such requirements may well become recommended as has providing salt water for pinnipeds.

All establishments that are open to the public displaying wild animals for more than than seven days in any period of 12 consecutive months - paying or not - must have a zoo license under the 1981 Act - what ever they call themselves and regardless of their patrons being former film stars or Z list celebrities ;)

Zoo Licensing Act 1981

3. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info John, your posts are always very knowledgeable! :)