Join our zoo community

Landhi - Korangi Zoo - Karachi

Discussion in 'Pakistan' started by vogelcommando, 24 Apr 2017.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The article is somewhat of a misnomer as in the feature it talks placards of animal signs and is not specific on what new animals the zoo is looking for.

On a more sobering note: no talk of remodeling or developing new exhibits for the existing animal collection vis a vis general standards exhibitry in the zoo (the metal bar crammed cage syndrom).

4. J I N X

J I N X Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Landhi Korangi is a privately operated zoo, the people in charge run it as a money making business. And because it is not answerable to any wildlife dept. there hasn't been any work done to improve the general situation of the zoo and it doesn't seem likely in the near future. I'm pretty sure they've had animals deaths due to consumption of plastic via all the trash present in the cages, but again since it is a private zoo no reports whatsoever surface about it. I sincerely hope they shut this place down asap.

5. J I N X

J I N X Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Gharials seem to top the list for new acquisitions, since Karachi did keep them before and encouraged by their success in breeding muggers, the zoo administration is hopeful for similar success with gharials. Although more realistically they'll acquire species they already keep to compensate for losses over the years.

As for your remodeling query, there is a team recently formed for the job, headed by a man named Zain Mustafa, an architect and a self proclaimed animal rights activist. They set aim of this team is to eventually replace all cages with immersive habitats.