Join our zoo community

Laotian Rock Rat (Kha-nyou)

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Chlidonias, 3 Jul 2017.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I came across this 2015 article from the Prague Zoo which is interesting. It is about the Laotian Rock Rat and hints at the possibility of an attempt to establish a captive population, which would be very welcome both from the conservation aspect and from that of Zoochatters wanting to see one. There's a nice photo on the link as well.
    Following the Mysterious kha-nyou

baboon and Maguari like this.
  2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree that zoos should try to keep and breed kha-nyous, which are the only remaining members of their family. There are several mammal families represented by one or very few species, which are rarely, if ever, kept in zoos. I have only seen dassie rats once, at Berlin Tierpark, although Zootierliste says that dassie rats were kept at Plzen Zoo from 2004-2006. It is a pity that many zoos seem to prefer preserving subspecies of some mammals, rather than preserving entire families; in some cases, these families are the only representatives of a mammalian order.

d1am0ndback and Maguari like this.
  3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Prague zoo director´s mentioned a little about this planned breeding program in an interview with local newspaper last month. So it´s still on cards.

Chlidonias likes this.