Join our zoo community

LaughingDove Goes Travelling - SE Asia and Australia

Discussion in 'Asia - General' started by LaughingDove, 19 May 2018.

1. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

So interesting thing about this one (having asked other people who have done the drives and asked the tour operators): there are two different night drive operators. Most of them still go exclusively in the plantations but if you book from the boat office near the public toilets at the central roundabout bit you get the one I did which goes through much better forest. Apparently slow loris is reasonably common as are nightjars, civets, and leopard cats and last week they saw two melanistic leopards in the secondary/new growth type area apparently.

2. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I had no idea! Next time I'm at Taman Negara I'm definitely going to check that out then.

(I would have "liked" your above post twice, but that's not possible...)

3. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is possible - if you buy a "like" from someone else. I will happily sell you a "like". Heck, I'll give you one on credit.

4. Chlidonias

No, there's a bit in the forum rules that says selling stuff through the forum isn't allowed.

And Zoochat credits are no good. I tried using them once and Quark was just looking at them going "Your Zoochat credits are worthless here." Then when I went back to the table Seven of Nine was all like "where's my drink?" and I had to make up a story about Tribbles.

birdsandbats likes this.
  5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I thought you looked a little bit like a Klingon from your photographs! :p

6. LaughingDove

Bumbun Kumbang: The Hide Experience (and more)

(this post covers three days – the 4th, 5th, and 6th and so it’s a long one at a little over 4300 words. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.)

Epigraph:

In mammal watching, there are some species that are legendary. Species that you sometimes wonder about with awe because in theory you know they're out there somewhere but in reality? You can't help but think of them more in terms of unicorns and the Lock Ness Monster than animals that you really see. Malayan Tapirs are a zoo animal. Big funny looking black and white things in paddocks. Not wild animals in forests. Sure, you might sometimes see a camera trap photo but can they really be out there? Somewhere? In the vast darkness of the forest at night? It can't really be possible to see a wild tapir can it?

---

I started the morning on the departure day with the usual morning birding around the Swamp Loop, River Trail, Tahan Hide, etc. although the birding was a bit quiet in the morning with less bird activity than there had been. It had rained a bit the night before which is unfortunate as it had been completely dry for the last few days and I was hoping for no rain so the path up to the Kumbang Hide would be easy. Most excitingly with the morning birding, I got a decent look at a Lesser Mouse Deer as it ran away from the Swamp Loop in full daylight. I also heard gibbons closer than I have been hearing them for the last few days, although I couldn’t find any visible. There is really amazing woodpecker diversity around here and lots of really cool species. I do particularly like seeing woodpeckers.

I went back across the river at about 11:30 to sort my backpack out, buy a few last things, and have lunch before the boat to Kumbang Hide in the mid afternoon. I got permission from the shop owner downstairs who knows the hostel owner (who I haven’t seen around at all) to leave some things in a corner in the dorm so I wouldn’t have to take everything with me up to the hide. I’m still taking my big 70l backpack, but I’ve removed a bunch of heavy, non-valuable and relatively unimportant things to leave in a big plastic bag labelled and tied up in the corner which I’ve been told is fine. I can also now fit my day back into the big backpack so I’m not carrying two backpacks up to the hide (when I’m just walking around birding and such I just have my day bag and when I’m moving between places I have my big backpack on my back and my day bag on my front.

Despite leaving quite a bit of weight, my backpack to go to the hide is still quite heavy because I’ve got to carry food for the duration and also water. I haven’t taken enough water to last for the duration but enough so that if the worst comes to the worst I’m thirsty and a bit dehydrated but not dead. I’ve been told that there’s a stream near the hide where I can drink the water if I boil it or use purification tablets: I have Aquatabs. (I’ve written up to here before I go, obviously).

After lunch, I went to get the boat to go to the hide. It was quite a nice ride, 45 minutes in the boat, with great views of the jungle and Orang Asli villages: the indigenous people who still live in the national park, there’s actually a village only about an hour’s walk from the hide apparently. There were also a number of rapids that had to be negotiated to get up stream which was quite fun too with lots of manoeuvring, splashing, and sudden bursts of acceleration to get over the rapids. The boat to go to the hide drops you off at the ‘village’ of Kuala Terrangan (spelling?) which is just a single abandoned house and a jetty and from there there’s a sign pointing towards the hide which is another 2km walk. I had been told that it wasn’t a very difficult walk although I did find it fairly tough. I’m not sure if that’s because the path had gotten worse, I’m not fit enough, had too much stuff, or had unrealistic expectations for what a path in the remote jungle would be, but it’s probably all of those factors. There were a number of streams that required fording where you had to descend down into the stream bed got across the water and go back up and some of these seemed to have had wooden plank bridges in the past that had broken down. There were also quite a few fallen trees across the path to traverse and lots of muddy patches. But I made it to the hide tired but fine. The other problem is that my plan of leaving after lunch, while good for reducing the number of meals at the hide and at the same time making sure I got there early enough, did not take into account that I would then be travelling at the hottest possible time of day which was not a good decision it turns out.

The hide itself is a largeish tower with a concrete floor up on concrete supports with wooden walls and a corrugated iron roof. It overlooks a very small clearing with a fair bit of secondary growth in it which as a salt lick and spring. Inside the hide is a bench overlooking the spring and wooden plank bunk beds with 12 beds. There is what appears at one point to have been a toilet at the top of the stairs which seems to have had running water in the past and a sit-down toilet, but that’s completely abandoned and broken and the water source for both drinking and washing is a stream nearby. The hide wasn’t empty when I arrived and there was a group of two women with their guide and a bit later a group of three men and their guide arrived as well so there were eight people in the hide for the first night. Kumbang Hide is used as a stopping point for people doing jungle trekking as it’s just over 12km if you do the walk all the way form Kuala Tahan which is about the most you can do in a day given the quality of paths. All of the people were actually quite interested in what I was doing and the guides were impressed with it as well and they asked to be woken up if I saw something interesting (you know, so that they could see the cool mammals without doing any of the hard work staying up all night for it!).

There were a few interesting birds around too, most notably and quite unexpectedly, a Green Broadbill which is a bird that’s very high on my want-list and quite uncommon here. There was a Horse-tailed Squirrel as well which was cool. There is of course a gourmet meal service at the hide, provided of course you lugged the gourmet meal service through the jungle and cook it yourself. My 5 meals at the hide consist of various sorts of cereal/granola/etc. bars/biscuits, various sorts of nuts, bread and peanut butter, limited rations of very heavy UHT milk, and of course a few chocolates and sweets and biscuit type things.

So of course the main purpose of coming to the hide is to look for large mammals at the salt lick at night and there are quite a few possibilities. That does, however, of course mean staying up throughout the night which is quite challenging beyond about midnight. My method of staying awake involved having my phone vibrate at maximum strength in my top pocket every 30 minutes. The first interesting animal didn’t show up until 01:10 which was a huge lone male Gaur. The guides said it was quite unusual for Gaur to be seen here and one of the guides in particular was very excited about the Gaur indeed. It showed very nicely too. The same large male Gaur appeared again for a second time at 03:20. Apparently, tapir can normally be seen easily starting from about 1AM and then through until about 5AM according to the guides, although I didn’t have it this easily. Maybe it was because of the number of people in the hide and the quite loud snoring that came from the three men, but I didn’t see any tapir all night until, at 04:50 (somehow I was still awake then) I got a glimpse of what I think was a tapir through the trees just behind the salt lick. It was moving about quite noisily in the forest, but was completely unwilling to come out into the clearing despite the fog that had rolled in at about 03:30. I gave it some time with the torch off, but it stayed just inside the forest only just visible. I really think it was a tapir, but I can’t count it. With a mammal as cool and as high on the hit-list as that, I need to see it properly and I’m ‘almost certain’ but not sure enough to add a lifer. I’m really hoping for more views tonight, I don’t want to have gone to the ‘tapir hide’ and missed the tapir. The guides said that normally you see tapirs more easily than this although apparently it’s getting harder and harder to get good views as the forest is starting to encroach on the clearing and it gets filled with secondary growth so part of the salt lick is not in the forest edge and the animals don’t have to come out into the open. The guides think the new growth ought to be cleared to keep the clearing open. Surprisingly, there were no rodents at all at night in the hide although I had baited them with biscuits in the corner. Too many people I think. Lots of interesting sounds at night too including a Wood Owl, Reddish Scops Owl and Gould’s Nightjar all heard (I knew the calls after going owling with the birder the other night with callback) but all distant and there was the distinctive call of Argus Pheasants throughout the night. Plenty of insects and frogs too of course as well as the amazing night sky of moon and stars.

At 6:30, as it was just starting to become lighter, I decided that it was time to go to sleep. All of the other people left the next morning, the trekking-types just spend a single night in the hide as a stop-over, but just before they left one of the guides woke me to say there was a rare kind of bird in the clearing, he though it was called an egret in English but wasn’t sure. It was actually a Storm’s Stork! Fantastic bird! At about 9 I went down to the stream to have a morning wash which is quite nice. There are a whole load of interesting looking barbs in the stream where the females are brown with a black spot near the tail and the males are bigger with bold black and orange markings. I might try and identify them at some point, because they’re nice looking fish. There was a Lesser Shortwing by the stream too which is a great bird but I didn’t have my camera with me then obviously. I had a bit of breakfast and had intended to go for a bit of late morning birding as there seemed to be a fair bit of activity but I was too tired so fell asleep and slept until after 1PM. The wooden plank beds aren’t as uncomfortable as they first seem and with a mosquito net to keep the insects off I could sleep quite well. I didn’t bother hiring a mattress of sleeping bag because I didn’t want to carry them and that was fine. I got up in the early afternoon and sat around in the hide because it was still too hot (and wrote this). There were various interesting things about though including various smaller birds like a few species of near-identical bulbuls and such as well as a water monitor and flyovers from some birds of prey and most interestingly and another bird high on my to-see list: Rhinoceros hornbill. Lots of massive, annoying wasp-things though. A fair few squirrels of different species around too as well as a brief pass through the trees on the edge of the clearing by a White-handed Gibbon. I used up all the water that I brought with me by the morning (I just brought 3.6l) so I’ve been drinking stream water treated with Aquatabs which tastes a bit like swimming pool water but is fine.

I went out for a bit of birding along the access trail in the late-afternoon/early evening and there were a few birds about. Lots of Asian Paradise Flycatchers was especially nice, although I found that just staying in the hide and birding across the clearing was better. There was a stunningly showy pair of Red-bearded Bee-eaters flying pack and forth across the clearing and quite a few hornbills flying across too and I found what must have been a fruiting tree 50m or so from the hide on the other side where the hornbills all seemed to be gathering at. I couldn’t see the tree very well though, so I just saw them in flight arriving and leaving.

Down at the stream again for an evening wash and to gather some more water, I noticed that there were quite a few Cryptocoryne plants which I have kept before in aquariums so it was really interesting to see them growing in the wild. Today I also filled up my first (of three) 32GB SD cards. I do have lots of photos of various interesting things to upload when I get the time and internet connection. Some of them are pretty good I think, for my standards.

It seems that I’m on my own tonight as I write this as the sun is setting and I look out across the clearing (I have a powerbank which is how I’m keeping my phone charged). No one else has arrived and I think anyone arriving would have done so in the daylight. It’s been nice having the hide and the local area to myself since the others all left this morning. I really like it in the hide, I’m in the middle of a fantastic old growth rainforest with my nice homely hide. There’s only one thing stopping me from wanting to spend, say, a week in the hide. It’s not the lack of running water or electricity or comfortable beds like I thought it might be. The latter is an annoyance that you have to accept and the former two make the experience just that much better. If you’re prepared enough with torch batteries and power banks and things, the lack of electricity is no problem and the lack of running water and using a stream for drinking and washing is quite fun. I’ve got used to the taste of aquatabbed water now. It’s also certainly not boredom because you know, I’m in a wildlife-filled rainforest. The only problem is food and although I could probably manage for a couple more days, just eating snacky-type granola and nuts and things is tiresome. What I would quite like to do is bring a camping stove, some rice and/or noodles, and some tins of different things to put in the rice/noodles and then I’d be fine here indefinitely. It’s potentially doable, maybe some time in the future. Anyway, it’s lovely here in the remote forest.

I’ve baited the rodents again with biscuits in different corners of the hide (I’m on my own now so I’m not restricted to just my side like I was last night) so I’ll have to see what happens tonight! Tapir I hope!

With just one person in the hide it was obviously much quieter than it had been the previous night and at 8:30 I saw my first mammal: an Indomalayan Pencil-tailed Tree-mouse. It was nice to be able to listen to the proper quiet and rainforest sounds and there was an amazing atmosphere with eerie distance lighting and thunder as well as the calls of Reddish Scops Owl and Argus Pheasant, a mouse and Tokay geckos scurrying on the corrugated iron roof as well as the frog and insect sounds and the fireflies over the clearing. It was very difficult to see the rooftop rodents though because they were scurrying about in the rafters with lots of holes for them to be able to get out onto the top of the roof. I think what will be most interesting is if I just copy out the notes that I wrote throughout the night from my notebook which I wrote out in some detail:

20:30 Indomalayan Pencil-tailed Tree-mouse

21:00 Gaur, probably same one as yesterday

21:10 extensive movements in the vegetation coming towards clearing. Tapir?

21:40 Malaysian Eared Nightjar flew up from by water +still hear sounds but probably not seen

21:55 Very loud noise in the distance, probably elephants

22:05 same Gaur seen returning in the open

22:15 Gaur passes by the left of hide completely hidden in vegetation

22:40 Gaur returns moving about very noisily for a while

23:00 Temminck’s Flying Squirrel seen in flight + binocular view upon landing on tree

23:40 Dark-tailed Niviventer in tree but won’t come out to bait, runs away from light

00:10 more movement/sound at clear edge

00:30 Gaur returned, staying in clearing wallowing and drinking noisily for a few hours

02:20 Gaur still around

02:50 Malay Civet directly below hide

03:30 small fully dark fruit bat around back of hide, seem to be 3 species possible

04:00 TAPIR! Quickly and purposefully ambles down, loudly gulps water, loudly scrapes at rocks making crunching/chalkboard sounds, looks about, waves trunk, quickly walks back away. 10-15 minute sighting. Lots of photos.

05:20 Gaur returns

So I saw a tapir! It took long enough, but it was an absolutely amazing sighting. It was quite surreal, it suddenly appeared out of the forest and just looks weird and sounds weird. Such a cool sighting and the sort of mammal you only dream about seeing in the wild. Certainly one of the most amazing wildlife sightings I’ve ever had and definitely the most work I’ve ever put into seeing once specific target mammal. I’ve seen the black and white ghost of the forest, I still can’t quite believe it. The most numerous wildlife at the hide on my second night though were the midges and flying ants. There weren’t too many about on the first night but huge swarms on the second night so that at some points they completely blocked my torchlight and I had to turn it off so they would dissipate. It seemed that every midge and flying ant in the whole of Taman Negara had gathered in front of my torch at points. Still, a tapir. A real, wild tapir. Amazing. Gaur and Malay Civet and everything else too of course.

The next morning after getting two hours of sleep, after sunrise, I had to get up to get my boat in time. I left two hours for the walk which turned out to be more than enough as I had a lighter pack and knew how far and where I had to go. I passed a group of indigenous Orang Asli people on the way too with their blowpipes etc. which was cool. I was and am of course exhausted from a lack of sleep. While waiting for the boat, I saw an as yet unidentified gliding lizard glide past right in front of me which was nice to see. Surprisingly enough, the boat was quite prompt, getting here only a couple of minutes after the agreed time and it was a nice boat ride back to Kuala Tahan and the rapids were good fun again although I got splashed quite a bit. There was a Grey-bellied Fishing-eagle over the river too. The boat driver was very impressed that I had seen a Gaur, much more so than the Tapir and said that he has hardly ever seen one.

Overall though, the hide was an absolutely amazing experience though. I’m so, so pleased that I did it. It was the cheapest night’s accommodation so far too at RM5 per night (while I try to ignore the fact that I spent RM240 on the boat of course).

When I got back, I went to drop my stuff off at the hostel, have a shower and go for lunch. Before lunch though, I had to deal with my laundry as I had managed to go through effectively all my clothes and I can’t really do any clothes washing with the dorm set up as it is so I’ve had to go to a laundry shop in town. I was charged 7 ringgit per kilo for 5kgs of clothes and I think I might have been overcharged but I’m not sure. The guy was quite insistent that that was the price, but it seems a bit high so if anyone knows if that is about right or not then I would appreciate if you could let me know for future.

I think I’m going to stay here three more nights including tonight which will give me two more full days in Taman Negara. I could stay a fourth night, but I think I would rather spend two nights in KL before flying to Sabah rather than just one to make sure I do definitely make it for the morning flight and I do definitely find a Western Union that’s open so I can get some money. I should then be able to visit Zoo Negara as well.

Anyway, in the afternoon, despite being exhausted, I decided to head over the river just for a couple of hours of very relaxed birding along the boardwalked paths which was a nice end to the day. I was far too tired to do anything too strenuous or stay out too late for anything after dark (and I’ve done plenty of after dark stuff these last two nights). I had to come back over to pick up my clothes too.

The afternoon birding was pretty good. The best bird was a great view of some Black-and-Red Broadbills until that was surpassed by a Buff-necked Woodpecker until that was further surpassed by a pair of bulbul-sized Black-thighed Falconets in a tree above the campsite. Such nice birds. I then headed back across to pick up my laundry.

I had written almost all of the above before having dinner, but while I was at dinner the boat driver who brought me back on the boat from the hide bumped into me. He was still very impressed at my sightings and asked to have a look at my pictures etc. and he seemed genuinely impressed at my wildlife knowledge. He then asked if I would like to join his night cruise for RM40. I had actually checked the price beforehand at was told that it would be RM60 so he was giving it to me slightly cheaper and when opportunities like that present themselves, you’ve just got to do them. I was always intending to do a night cruise on one of the nights, just not tonight but whatever. I can sleep another time. (This is why I have to leave nature places to catch up on sleep, I just can’t help myself when there’s wildlife to be seen)

The night cruise thing wasn’t bad. It ended up lasting for 3 hours and ending at 11:30 and it makes a change for things to go on longer than expected, although I was quite tired by the end and we did stop at an Orang Asli village for about 20 minutes to inexplicably change boat. Going up and down the river we saw a pair of Brown Wood Owls and a Long-tailed Giant Rat which were new for me as well as a number of Red Giant Flying Squirrels and a Slow Loris. How am I seeing so many of those two species? They’re everywhere! I finally saw a Red Giant Flying Squirrel gliding today too which was cool as I hadn’t seen that yet and it is impressive. Towards the end we also stopped at an island in the middle of the river (as in, actually pulled up and walked on the island) which was covered in nightjars of two different species (both new, in addition to the one seen last night at the clearing). They would sit pretending to be rocks until you got right up close and then suddenly explode into the sky. Great birds. So, not a bad night cruise although I will admit that I may have overdone it a teeny tiny little bit today. The next two days should be more relaxed (I know I keep saying this) where I’m just planning to bird the trails around and do a bit of spotlighting on my own.

Anyway, I really must go to bed now. I still can’t believe I’ve seen a wild Malayan Tapir. That really is a dream mammal.

New Birds:

Bamboo Woodpecker

Orange-backed Woodpecker

Blue-banded Kingfisher

Maroon Woodpecker

Chestnut-breasted Malkoha

Green Broadbill

Indian Cuckoo

Storm’s Stork

Changeable Hawk-eagle

Rhinoceros Hornbill

White-bellied Munia

Rufous-crowned Babbler

Chestnut-rumped Babbler

Olive-winged Bulbul

Cream-vented Bulbul

Ruby-cheeked Sunbird

Gold-whiskered Barbet

Red-bearded Bee-eater

Verditer Flycatcher

Wreathed Hornbill

Dollarbird

Black Hornbill

Puff-backed Bulbul

Slender-billed Crow

Grey-headed Fish-eagle

Buff-necked Woodpecker

Grey-breasted Spiderhunter

Red-eyed Bulbul

Red-crowned Barbet

Black-thighed Falconet

Yellow-breasted Flowerpecker

Brown Wood Owl

Large-tailed Nightjar

Savanna Nightjar

Heard at the clearing (not counted)

Gould’s Frogmouth

Argus Pheasant

Reddish Scops-owl

Brown Wood Owl

New Mammals:

Red Muntjac

Lesser Mousedeer

Horse-tailed Squirrel

Gaur

Low’s Squirrel

Three-striped Ground Squirrel

Indomalayan Pencil-tailed Tree-mouse

Temminck’s Flying Squirrel

Dark-tailed Niviventer

Malay Civet

Malayan Tapir (!)

Long-tailed Giant Rat

Tokay Gecko

Hemidactylus type gecko

Draco (gliding lizard) sp.

7. Vision

Vision Well-Known Member 5+ year member

@LaughingDove Congratulations on getting the tapir and gaur, along with all the other nice species! Green broadbill and Storm's stork are particularly lovely, as well.
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading that post (and all the others), makes me want to get back to Asia sooner rather than later!

LaughingDove likes this.
  8. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

I think the above (rather long) post from @LaughingDove is possibly my favourite Zoochat post of all time. Excellent!

LaughingDove and Vision like this.
  9. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very well written. A great bird list and an even better mammal list! I must admit I didn't know the pencil-tailed tree-mouse existed, sounds like a neat bonus mammal.

LaughingDove likes this.
  10. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Lovely stuff!

7RM per kilogram does sound pretty expensive, to be honest when I'm in that kind of situation I just self-wash my clothes with my soap. Not necessarily reccomended.

I think of all of the above I'm most jealous of seeing the flying squirrel in action, that's something that has so far evaded me.

If you have any pictures if the Orang Asli villages it'd be cool to see those.

LaughingDove likes this.
  11. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Very well-written post, indeed; and some astonishing species seen. Along with all the highlights (tapir, broadbill, gaur, stork etc...), the pencil-tailed mouse is a species I really like.

LaughingDove likes this.
  12. LaughingDove

Thank you for all the messages and compliments everyone. I appreciate it.

I did the washing clothes myself with soap when I was at Bukit Fraser when I was in my own room so I could just hang them everywhere, but I'm in a dorm here with no hot water and only one sink and two showers for a reasonably large number of people so I can't really do that here. When I get back to KL I might have a look around to see what they're charging for laundry there where there's more competition. I walked around the village of Kuala Tahan yesterday afternoon and there were two places with signs advertising a laundry service, one of which seemed long closed, so RM7 per kg may represent a bit of a captive market.

I've got a few pictures of the Orang Asli villages that I can post when I get to somewhere with more time and internet. They do make for quite interesting scenery from the boat with the bamboo-framed houses and palm front roofs dotted in the forest from the river.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  13. Chlidonias

He's like a little Flying Squirrel magnet, that boy...

Mr. Zootycoon and LaughingDove like this.
  14. TZDugong

TZDugong Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I feel like I’m just repeating what everyone else is saying, but what an amazing post! Good to see that you found a Tapir, but a Rhinoceros Hornbill sounds almost as exciting! Also, what is a Dark-Tailed Niviventer? That name is really cool.

LaughingDove likes this.
  15. LaughingDove

I have been seeing a lot of flying squirrels I suppose, although they're just starting to seem common to me. I really don't know why I've been seeing so many.

I saw another one spotlighting on my own tonight about an hour ago (red giant) and when I saw a group of wildlife/birder people I met earlier as I was leaving and they asked what I had seen I replied "not too much, heard White-faced Scops, saw a single Red Giant Flying Squirrel" they became really excited about the prospect of the squirrel.

Now that I've said how commonly I'm seeing them I'll probably never see one again, but that's just how it goes.

16. LaughingDove

Thanks. Yeah, the Rhinoceros Hornbill was a really very cool bird. Just seen in flight though, I haven't got a view of one in a tree yet.

Dark-tailed Niviventer is a rodent, Niviventer cremoriventer. It seems that the name given more commonly is Dark-tailed Tree-rat or Sundaic Arboreal Niviventer, but the Francis mammal guide uses the name Dark-tailed Niviventer and I think that is better than either of the two common names listed by the IUCN.

17. LaughingDove

Day Six at Taman Negara: Wildlife Around Kuala Tahan

Has it really been six days already?

I was a bit slow off the mark this morning as you might expect, and I left the hostel just after 8 rather than just before 7 as I had been doing. I decided that I would spend the morning going to Tabing Hide which is 3.1km each way from the entrance with about the first km boardwalked and the rest on trails though it wasn’t a bad trail, it was certainly rather better than the one going to Kumbang Hide. I think I’ve said it already, but I really like the woodpeckers around in Taman Negara. There’s lots of diversity and a wide variety of different shapes, sizes, and colours, and woodpeckers are really cool birds generally. The top mammal is obviously the Malayan Tapir but for birds I think it’s got to be the woodpeckers. Trogons and peacock pheasants and fireback pheasants and broadbills and more are all super-cool too. There’s just lots of amazing birds here.

The walk to Tabing Hide took longer than expected because I was of course birding all along the way and with birds so high up in the canopy in Taman Negara, a Taman Negara birding pace is even slower than a normal birding pace. It took me a little over 4 hours to do the 3.1km to the hide and about 3 hours to do the walk back. There were lots of cool birds of course including one’s I’d already seen and I got another view of a falconet too. I also spent ages trying to ID a small nondescript brown bird from the back of the camera which seems similar to half the passerines in the book but doesn’t quite match any of them. It seems, with the help of the Birdforum ID forum, that it was an immature Moustached Babbler transitioning into adult plumage with an odd mix of juvenile and adult features. Generally, the bulbuls and the babblers pose the biggest ID challenges. There’s dozens of species of each and most of them all look exactly the same when they’re up in the trees. It’s not just the birds that are cool in the forests of course, there are loads of cool insects and fungi and plants, some notable ones are lots of lovely flowering gingers as well as quite numerous Titan Arum plants. No flowers or buds, but the plants themselves are quite distinctive and there were quite a few along this trail. There was one clump of small white mushrooms that seemed to be deliberately attracting some sort of small fly but I’m not sure why it would do that. Mushrooms don’t need pollinators or anything. It strikes me that I really know very little about fungus biology although I know they do weird things with chromosome number in reproduction.

Obviously, I was late and hungry by the time I got back across for lunch having underestimated how slow I would walk but I got across for lunch at about 3 and after lunch went to buy some water and things from the shop before relaxing a bit before going for the evening birding session. I also made the mistake of converting the price of a few things in ringgit into pounds and now everything seems ridiculously cheap. I need to remember that this is Malaysia not the UK though and that I do have to make the money last for almost four months. My accommodation for example is about £2.80 per night, the RM240 boat which seems stupidly expensive here compared to other costs is about £45 (the price of the boat to the hide is really inflated above what it should be because it’s an official price set by the park) and my daily average cost taking everything into account is only about £15 per day. If you were being very frugal you could probably just about keep it to £10 per day. Excluding getting boats and things, Taman Negara is a really cheap place to be. My one unnecessary spend though are the fresh fruit juices/smoothes/milkshakes which I’ve been having with meals. They’re not cheap, often a similar price to the food itself, but they’re extremely nice and just what you want after a birding session in the heat. I also tripped and grazed my arm slightly last night. It’s not bad at all, but I only mention it because it’s right in the wrong position for how I have my bag and camera and I keep agitating it and making it worse. I’ve got to try and hold my stuff differently until it heals.

In the later afternoon, I went back across for the evening birding and to have another go at just spotlighting by myself. It was super-quiet on the swamp loop, hardly any calls at all apart from a single Coucal calling loudly and the occasional bulbul. I didn’t add anything new, but that’s how it goes. It’s also getting really hot and apparently that’s because it hasn’t rained enough recently. It has hardly rained since I arrived, just very briefly a light shower during the night before I went to the hide so I’ve been much luckier with the weather here than I was a Bukit Fraser. Apparently it will cool down a bit once it rains.

In the late evening, towards dusk, I walked down the boardwalk up to the bottom of the canopy walkway and the spotlighted back up the couple of kms at night. There were lots of huge impressive spiders, including one hunting cockroaches and I saw a single Red Giant Flying Squirrel high in a tree in a break in the foliage. I also came across a fruit bat flying around very close to me which I got enough of a look at to identify as a Lesser Short-nosed Fruit Bat. I went all along the boardwalk and around the swamp loop and I heard White-faced Scops Owls in the distance a few times. It’s quite difficult spotlighting though because the forest is so closed and to torch light doesn’t penetrate very far. I also want to mention how much I hate DEET. It’s really horrible, but it does seem to work very well when I use it and I imagine it’s better than dengue fever. As I was returning, I had to navigate my way around the night tour groups on the boardwalk near the resort and at one point one of the tourists asked if I had seen anything interest and I replied that I had seen a flying squirrel. Their guide was quite annoyed and responded that it was not possible and you can’t see flying squirrels. He clearly didn’t want them to get their hopes up that they would see anything interesting as they were quite literally looking at cockroaches and ants. Don’t get me wrong, cockroaches and ants are cool, but if I had spent RM30 on a night walk, I would expect to see a bit more than that. It was only about 8:40 when I got back to the resort so I went a bit of a way up the boardwalk towards the genet muda trail. I saw hardly anything along the boardwalk, not even many insects, but I did see a mouse deer near the campsite which was quite large and showed two distinct white markings on the side of the throat which means it was a Greater Mousedeer which is a bit odd since I had only heard of lessers being seen near the resort.

I crossed back at about 9:30 and didn’t really fancy a proper meal so just had some milk and biscuits. I will be asleep relatively early tonight and I should get to sleep before midnight which makes a change. I was also not the last person back at the dorm for the past days, I’ve been the last back and first out which does suggest I’m not getting enough sleep. I’m seeing lots of wildlife though, so that’s alright.

New birds seen: (not massive numbers obviously because I’ve been here a while now, but for my sixth day in the same national park, that’s quite a good number of new species!)

Little Spiderhunter

Lesser Green Leafbird

Banded Woodpecker

Moustached Babbler

White-crowned Forktail

Black Magpie

Buff-rumped Woodpecker

(+Possible Bushy-crested Hornbill

Mammals: (the gibbon should be in the list in the previous post but I forgot to include it in. I mentioned it in the post itself but just missed it in the list at the end.)

White-handed Gibbon

Greater Mousedeer

Chlidonias, FunkyGibbon and Vision like this.
  18. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I'd be more excited about your having heard a Central African species of owl in southeast Asia ;)

Brum and LaughingDove like this.
  19. LaughingDove

You know exactly what species I mean :p. (White-fronted Scops)

20. LaughingDove

Good news! They seem to be ignoring the tourism tax here, at least they are at the Liana Hostel. I've just paid for my stay and they have not made any mention of the tourism tax and I just paid RM15 per night.

I've been charged the tax of RM10 per night at every other place so far though.

Chlidonias likes this.