Join our zoo community

Lemurs in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by aw101, 13 Sep 2010.

1. aw101

aw101 Well-Known Member

What is the current status of ring tailed and black + white ruffed lemurs in Australia? Any plans to breed them?

Last time I went to Melbourne Zoo I only saw one black and white ruffed lemur in the exhibit, I believe that Melbourne is the only zoo to exhibit them in Australia?

2. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

There are ruffed lemurs at Melbourne, Dubbo, Perth, Mogo, Australia Zoo and National Zoo and Aquarium, along with three zoos in New Zealand.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

actually four zoos in New Zealand: Hamilton, Wellington, Orana Park and Willowbank.

4. Ara

Ara Well-Known Member

.......but not Taronga, you will notice.

The main reason that I'm disenchanted with Taronga these days (compared to the Taronga of past decades) is that the only primates they seem interested in are the apes (and, at this stage, some Francois' Langurs.)

They halfheartedly display a few smaller species, but I get the impression that they won't be replaced when they are gone.

5. aw101

aw101 Well-Known Member

I found Taronga Zoo lacking in species, they don't even have leopard or jaguar, just snow leopard and the big cats.

They have so much free space, the potential for some really amazing exhibits is there.

6. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Australia zoo have a pair of Black & White Ruffed Lemurs I think the male was imported from france.

I think they also have about six male Ringtails as well.

I am sure Alma Park zoo has about 5 or 6 female Ringtails.

7. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

They actually dont really have that much space to expand on, but if they demolish the African Waterhole and Cats of Asia/Asian Highlands it could be possible to do something big, along with the free space under Wild Asia/GSO

8. Jabiru96

And someone mentioned in the Taronga Zoo Updates thread that they might be looking to build a lemur exhibit?

9. Electus Parrot

Electus Parrot Well-Known Member

There are also 1.2 White-headed Brown Lemurs at Western Plains Zoo, but unfortunatly this species is being phased out.

Last edited: 14 Sep 2010
  10. aw101

aw101 Well-Known Member

The African Waterhole should be re-designed, it's so outdated...and barbary sheep are not a species you would find at a waterhole.

11. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They don't really make a good display animal although they are very interesting animals. They are very shy. I've only ever seen them once.
    Taronga has plans for a new lemur exhibit, as mentioned on the taronga thread.

12. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

That's why they're not part of the Waterhole Exhibit. The Waterhole Exhibit is the large sandy exhibit, but the term "The Waterhole" has come to incorporate the two Pygmy Hippos enclosures too, although people often lump the Bongos and Barbary Sheep into 'the Waterhole' simply because they are on the same path.

The Barbary Sheep are in the end exhibit because they are in keeping with the African ungulate theme.

:p

Hix

13. Jabiru96

Barbary sheep I accept but Brazilian Tapir, I dont think you find them at an African Waterhole!!! (I know the reason why she is there tho)

Maybe one zoo could do a Madagascar themed precinct so that lemurs can be exhibit and new animals such as fossa?

14. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are there no import/export restrictions on lemurs or small canids (e.g. fossa)?

What lemur zoo populations are safe and which are vulnerable in Australia/NZ?

What are the long-term plans of ZAA with lemurs in the region?

15. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

ZAA plans to have populations of both ring-tailed and black & white ruffed lemurs.

I just did a population modelling assignment on the ZAA's B&WRL population, lol, and heres what I remember:
    The population is 'safe', but I think this population needs some further importation to reduce inbreeding. Its currently 20.18, but theres spaces for 63, so is being increased. I think the male imported from France now at Australia Zoo is now infertile, which isn't so great for breeding his line.

Didn't really look at ring-taileds, but the ZAA has 30.37.2, and spaces for 185! So I don't think they're going to disappear in a hurry. Monarto is listing for future 20.20, would be interesting to see such a big group!

16. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

KB, The only long term plans are for the Ringtails and Black & White ruffed, the pair of browns are to be phased out :rolleyes:. Being one of the few animal species which can be imported with out too much trouble I feel it's a shame our zoos are not exhibiting more species we know a number of them need captive breeding but it has been mention before how our zoos are phasing out a lot of species, it's the master plan you see ;)