Join our zoo community

Life lessons you've learned

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by Pantheraman, 9 Jan 2022.

1. Pantheraman

Pantheraman Well-Known Member

What are some life lessons you've learned?

I've learned...

1. It takes forever for a bunch of teenage boys in a room to go to sleep.

2. When you can, avoid talking about politics, money, and religion. All these do is divide people so it's best not to bring them up most of the time.

3. Animal forums other than this one aren't good to be on. The reason is the moderators and administrators. They don't actually care about you. The only people they care about on those are a select few that happen to be their favorites. I learned that one the hard way.

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

In a functioning republic political discourse is necessary to create policy and perhaps consensus. If we never discuss politics... especially with those whose views do not mirror our own... how can a republic function?
    While we may fear "dividing people" we desperately need to think about how we can get people to come together to solve the world's problems.
    Now whether any of us actually does live in a functioning republic is a matter for discussion.
    Well, it would be if anyone discussed politics

3. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

Life lesson # 1:
    Even how much you want it, Zoochat will never get a species named after them-

(Watch this age very, very poorly)

4. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

Meh, move on from it, or speak up if you think it's not fair. Mods are not here to care for people, they do what they do on a voluntary basis. I've had my disagreements with some of them and the boss Simon over time, but at least on here you can message each other and get a reply to sort things out. Other places (web forums) you will probably get swiftly banned or just ignored.

5. Pantheraman

My point is that for the most part, you cannot trust mods on other forums to not have favorites. And it's when they give a few people special treatment that drove me nuts. That's what I was getting at.

6. Pootle

Pootle Well-Known Member

I thought it was here the way you worded it. However, if forum rules are what’s causing you grief in life then you ain’t doing too bad.

7. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

1. Never wear radioactive underwear
    2. Dare not upset the mighty mods!!!!
    3. Don’t eat asparagus
    4. Mistakes are OK to make, it’s fine to say something that you didn’t mean to say, or do something you didn’t mean to do, move on and let life take its course
    5. Don’t let small children near stray cats (I was a small child in a situation involving a stray cat once)
    6. Enjoy life, no fun comes with an excessively negative outlook (said the sarcastic and cynical teenager)
    7. And last but not least, listen to wise sayings

Edit: one more thing, if you have good food eat the good food, cuz food is food

8. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

Just because you have good food doesn’t mean you should always eat it. If I had 100 pieces of candy I wouldn’t eat it just because it’s good food since I know health is a thing :p

Anyways, here’s my list, I’ll admit most of it is rather cringey or basic but I’ve found most of these to be correct.
    1) Always try new things if you are given the opportunity, because if you miss it you may never be able to try it out again.
    2) As much as you may hate it, parents (most of them at least) are always looking out for you and anything they do or force you to do is for you not for them.
    3) It’s the little things in life that matter most, cherish the moments with your family and friends while you can.
    4) You can be open about interests in animals and wildlife, people are really not that judgemental. For the longest time I rarely talked about any of this to most of my family members and friends but I’ve slowly realized there’s nothing wrong with it and if people make fun of me for it then I shouldn’t care or think much of it.
    5) Don't be annoying or immature, especially when on a public forum with people (including tons of adults) from all over the world (AKA ZooChat)! This life lesson wasn’t something I learned personally, but something I’ve learned from watching a number of zoochatters my age get called out for their immature or annoying behavior by older zoochatters (including mods). I’m the type of person that gets embarrassed really easily so I’ve always been very careful of what I post on this forum. I always try to fact check most of the things I post and never post anything out of place or *dumb* out of fear of getting called out. That being said, Im sorry if I ever act this way, it’s not on purpose I promise!
    6) This is sort of similar to #5 but always always always think before you act/talk (or in this case, post). It’s 100% worth it and can save you from tons of negative consequences that you really won’t want to face. This is something I’ve only recently learned and while it’s something I’ve heavily implemented when online, I’m still working on it in real life.
    7) Try to be as involved in your community as possible. Always be someone your family and friends can count on for help and support because they should be one of your top priorities.
    8) Last but not least, never take things too seriously, I hate people that are super sensitive and can’t take jokes. I can be a very sarcastic and humorous person (I said “can” because I’m very shy with new people but after getting to know someone I’m a completely new person :p) and Ive gotten into some trouble because people can’t take jokes, I’ll admit some can be slightly rude but nothing too terrible! Now Im obviously not saying don’t get mad if someone makes racist or stereotypical jokes, I’m an Indian-American kid and the last thing I would do is make a rude, racist comment about someone as I’ve had my fair share of racist comments thrown at me. Anyway I definitely don’t want to get into racism and all that but in my eyes life’s too short to get all upset about small things so don’t get caught up in them!

9. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Indian-American is an American born person who lives in India, American-Indian is a Native American.
    I can relate to disliking racism as I am also an Indian-American kid. Also, I am guilty to being sarcastic and blunt to the point of coming across as rude. That being said, I do have to become a different person on ZC, as my sarcasm may not always be welcome ;), though I will say I have been tempted... :p Either way nothing you said was cringey in the least, and I will say I agree with you on all of this. Also, I too hate sensitive people (honestly there are so many bad qualities in humans that I could create an entire thread about our species’ bad characteristics)

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  10. Zooplantman

11. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Don't be fearful of sending multiple emails out of fear of looking rude or annoying. If you want a reply from someone, keep contacting them until they reply to you. This mindset has been helpful for me in getting my university details changed and in securing places to live.

This might not be applicable everywhere but I find it to be helpful in more situations than not, the worst thing someone can say is no!

12. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I once did number 7 on the list. I worked in a cinema and next to the cash till there was a red button, no one ever told me what the bottom did so late one night when I was bored I pressed it, turns out it was a panic alarm and I got a visit from the police.

13. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

#3 and #7 for me.

14. Pantheraman

It can take a while for someone to respond to a message.

There's this job I'm interested in, and I'm still waiting for a response. (I've been waiting for days now) I do however have an old school friend who works there. So I was wondering if I should contact her or not, in case the employer never checks their email. What do you think?

15. Bisonfan

Bisonfan Well-Known Member

when i was younger i learned to never trust your friends once i got suspended just because i was with them when they did something bad, and once i won a doughnut and my friend stole it from me and threw it in the pond, that same friend lost to me in a competition and came in second he got 5 candy's i got 10 he was salty and stole 5 from me and i had given the others away to my other friends so i ended up having none at the end.

16. Zooplantman

Employers are notoriously bad at timely responses.
    And if you are waiting for a decision about your application, it will come when they are ready. If they decided on someone else they may never tell you.

17. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is often a sign of bad friends.

18. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

I don’t agree with this one. You should 100% be able to trust your friends and if not you need to get new friends which is what I would suggest you do.

birdsandbats and Bisonfan like this.
  19. Bisonfan

yes i more ment those friends specifically

20. Bisonfan

i agree i don't really hang out with those friends anymore, i can trust my other friends.