Join our zoo community

Zion Wildlife Gardens Lion Man

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by MARK, 17 Nov 2006.

1. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

His mother now runs the park, and she is just as bad.

2. ptig

ptig Well-Known Member

Patricia Busch

She was involved back then as well and certainly had a big hand in these terrible abuses of people.

3. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

tim husband's reputation ain't great either...

4. ptig

ptig Well-Known Member

That is for sure!

5. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

a great pity this place is run by idiots, and the experts they brought in to manage and direct the operation seem not much better. it has a huge potential, and there would be so many eager vollies willing to work to make the place better.

As someone else mentioned the concept of charging people to stay and work there actually work very well in places like South Africa.

The Big Cat Sanctury, in the US (as seen on Animal Planet) has such a program, vollies from all over the world including NZ pay to stay on the property and look after the animals and the grounds.

All Zion needs is a back packers type accommodation able to house half a dozen or so people, and they would be flooded out with applications.

I have paid for several vollie placements in South Africa, much of the fun is living and working with people who soon become good friends.

However they would need a people person to run it, and have some consistency in managment and operations to make it work.

6. Shane

Shane Member

That's interesting that you (Phoneix and Ptig) say that about Tim Husband.
    having now contacted him and him telling me that he sometimes looking in on zoochat.
    I wonder if you would like to let him know who you really are and how you know him.
    I have spoken to a couple of friends at Taronga zoo that know him and they speak very highly of him.

7. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

If you are in contact with him perhaps you might like to ask him to make public the reasons he is no longer there. The word is that he had conflicts with Pat Busch over improvements he wanted to make and decided to return to Aus. Tim is from Whangarei and still has family and friends here.

8. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

shane,

regardless of fairness, tim husband does have a poor reputation. i've never heard him mentioned in a positive way from various sources.

in regards to tim husband wanting to know who i am. sure, why not? tell him to send me a PM.

you can too if you like.

9. Shane

Shane Member

Ok i'll send him a email

10. Shane

Shane Member

OK I have just got his reply
    Zoochat
    Tim Husband < [Chat now]
    Add to Contacts
    To: [email protected]
    Hello again Shane and thanks for your email. as I toldyou before I do look in from time to time on zoochat. to answer your questions about Zion.
    I left because I had a contract in Bali that I had signed up to before the zion project started. I was asked to go to Zion to help sort it out and get the place reopen. I agreed to do that on the condition that both MAF and the management knew that it couldn't be for very long 6 months at the most. I had no problem with Mrs Busch and although it's true that there were many improvements that I wanted to make in the park. most needed a large injection of funds before anything could be done. and it's true that I do have many friends in Whangarei and the larger zoos in New Zealand. and most of them knew that I was only in NZ for a short time.
    now as for someone saying that my reputation isn't that great. I have found this kind of comment comes from keepers with very little experance or even those that aren't working in zoos.
    those kind of people don't worry me to much as it's management level or government departments that I normally have to deal with and in the zoo world if your no good then you don't get work, and i seem to be doing alright.
    But as I said people on these kind of chat rooms often hide behind their computer to say things that they would never say to your face. if they did have the courage then they would be able to find me at most zoo conferences.
    Anyway hope that helps and put's this to rest.
    Cheers
    Tim Husband

11. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

Thats not a bad response Shane, almost no time elapsed since you said you would email him and you posting the reply from him on the forum.

However it contrats somewhat with what he himself told the media back in May of 2009.

Article here
    Lion Man could get a new rival for his role as the pride of Zion's - Local News - Northland Northern Advocate

Mike Barrington | 21st May 2009

Email Story Print larger | smaller
    Tim Husband with lions at the Cairns Wildlife Safari Reserve. Picture/Brian Cassey
    Lion Man Craig Busch could face competition for his King of the Big Cats title.

Former Whangarei man Tim Husband, 47, who with his wife Wendy runs the Zooworks animal consultancy in Australia, has been in discussion with Zion management over becoming the operations manager at Zion Wildlife Gardens.

They told the Northern Advocate they understood a few people had been short-listed for the job and they had not yet been notified of Zion's selection decision.

"If Zion did require our services, it would be something we may consider in the future, but in the meantime we are working on a zoo project here in Australia."

A Zion Wildlife Gardens communications officer said yesterday Mrs Busch had no comment on Zion developments at this stage

12. Shane

Shane Member

Kiwipro
    I can only cut and paste what he sent me. I can't make comment on what he has sent me. but seeing as how you are in NZ why don't you ask MAF or Lynn Anderson Director of Orana Park in Christchurch. he did say that he had friends in the larger zoo there and you are from Christchurch, I would imagine that she would know Tim. as for the news paper article, I think that most people know that what is written in papers can always be taken with a grain of salt (well most grown up's)
    I'm not having a go at you but seems unless you have worked with someone, you can't be saying things about them. I haven't worked with Tim nor have I meet him but from the couple of emails that I got from him after I made contact with him and the stories from the papers it seems he only did a good job at Zion. and when you look at the zion web page you see that he did have other work to go to before he started at Zion.
    so I guess what i'm saying is that maybe some should dig a bit deeper before saying anthing. Oh and as for time it was 30 min before I got a reply to my email.

13. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

I used to work at Orana Park, so I suppose I could ask Lynn, but why bother when I can ask the person concerned. If Tim Husband confirms your post I'll happily add that confirmation to the forum.

14. Shane

Shane Member

I have sent you his contact details

15. kiwipo

kiwipo Well-Known Member

thanks, Ive already sent a message to both his addresses. But appreciate the info anyway.

16. Shane

Shane Member

thank you and it would be great if you can confirm when you get a reply.

17. Shane

Shane Member

RE: Zoochat
    Sun, February 7, 2010 4:12:58 PM
    Tim Husband <[email protected]> [Chat now]
    Add to Contacts
    Shane
    I really don't have time for all the stuff people say about me.
    99% are only listening to wild story's and wouldn't know me if we passed in the street and the rest have nothing better to do then make up stories because they don't have the facts or because they don't like the fact that I have moved on and up (so to speak)
    No I haven't been contacted by anyone other then you from the page and I wouldn't expect to.
    Thanks anyway
    Tim

Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 23:54:12 -0800
    Subject: Zoochat

Hi again Tim
    sorry to be a pain but there has been talk about you on zoochat still and why you left zion. I cut and pasted your last reply to me but don't think anyone believed it was from you. one of the people on the page was going to contact you (have they?) to confirm that you had said what I put up.
    I came to the zoochat page for info on animals and the people that care for them instead I find that there is a lot of ******-ness and people judging others with out knowing the facts.
    Shane

18. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

[email protected] very professional e-mail for a supposed professional zoo consultant. I'm not buying it, either you are making it all up, or it is you Tim?

19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Lion Man threads always become so interesting.... :D

20. Shane

Shane Member

don't really care if you buy into it or not. most people have personal email address's and professional email address. I first contacted him though his zooworks address and he replied with this one this time others have come from his Bali Safari and Marine Park address.
    I know that this kind of site attracts trolls but I'm not one.