Join our zoo community

Oceanário de Lisboa Lisbon aquarium

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Susan Humphreys, 6 Mar 2008.

1. Susan Humphreys

Susan Humphreys Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I'm, off to Lisbon next month and was wondering if anyone has been to the aquarium there? I've had a look at the website with not much luck - is it worth a visit? Anyone know what there is to see - fish obviously:p, but anything else?
    Thanks
    Susan
    drmidas.co.uk

2. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No, but maybe you'll visit the zoo?

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

Well, a quick Google image search on "Oceanário de Lisboa" showed penguins, auks, otters and a rainforest exhibit.
    Is it true that it is the second largest aquarium (after Georgia Aquarium)?

I have only spoken to some aquarium designers who visited it (and they are a tough crowd to ask): some loved it some were not as impressed as they expected to be. That's not so helpful!

Last edited: 6 Mar 2008
  4. Toddy

Toddy Well-Known Member

Oceanário de Lisboa is one of the only three zoos in Europe displaying sea otters. I would be very glad if you could take a photo of their exhibit for me :)

5. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Would be nice to see how much has developed at Lisbon Zoo since the time of the photos I recently posted (2005)>.......:)

6. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Lisbon Aquarium is famous for having (i believe 1) manta ray and the (elderly?) Sea Otter pair.

7. Susan Humphreys

My guide book says it's the second biggest in the world - I've been to the one at Barcelona which was pretty impressive, the fantastic Oceanografic at Valencia and I've also seen the amazing AquaDom at Berlin but the Lisbon one sounds good too. I can't wait to see Sea Otters, I will do my best to get a photo but have you all noticed whenever you go somewhere to see a specific animal that's the one hiding! It happened to me at Blackbrook last weekend the Black and White ruffed lemurs and Red ruffed lemurs were running about in their enclosures - the mayotte, white-fronted and mongoose ones were curled up behind glass and wire - typical.
    I will be going to Lisbon Zoo - I've seen some older bad reviews but more recent ones say enclosures are mostly much better so fingers crossed. I will let everyone know what both places are like and will take lots of pics - I've finally cottoned on to take pics of signs too because months down the line I can't remember which animal it is - unless its a great big elephant of course.:D

8. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Or a great big pilot whale!!:D

9. NZ Jeremy

NZ Jeremy Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking what company were they from..? Why are they a tough crowd to ask..?

Sorry to be so nosy I am just a huge fan of aquarium design and am always looking for websites...

10. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I suspect that it would be inappropriate for me to name names.
    But my point was that aquarium designers, like aquarium/zoo directors and even many of us here, see so many facilities that we have a very criticl eye. We are a much tougher crowd to please than the average person headed off to an aquarium.

11. Susan Humphreys

I've posted pictures from my visit to the aquarium on the gallery along with photos from Lisbon Zoo - check out the thread on lisbon zoo for my comments too. :D