Join our zoo community

List of felidae in Indonesian zoo

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by Salt Merchant, 18 Sep 2020.

1. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

FYI, Taman Safari has both Panthera leo leo and Panthera leo krugeri, while Faunaland and Taman Safari has melanistic forms of Panthera pardus (black panther)

Salt Merchant likes this.
  2. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

So, the lions in the Safari Journey are the panthera leo leo, while the one at the Baby Zoo are krugeri?

3. Fargusno

Fargusno Well-Known Member

Yes

Salt Merchant likes this.
  4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Look at all these marbled cats and sunda cloudeds! :eek: I must get to southeast Asia!

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I would expect more zoos in Indonesia and especially those in Jawa to exhibit more Javan leopards! Are you sure the Taman Safari leopards are African in origin?

Also, more zoos with Sunda clouded leopards I am sure! I personally know that Bukittinggi Zoo has these on exhibit (and breeding them I seem to remember, but unsure). Really there should be a few other zoos on Sumatera do so (Jambi? Medan?)! Marbled and flatheaded cats too ....!

BTW: Batu Secret - according to zoo map - should have snow leopard.

6. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

All big zoos in Java, except for Ragunan Zoo (They have the Sri Lankan leopard instead), have Javan leopards

I'm pretty sure they are African. I think they also have been a part of the zoo since it's early years. Taman Safari also have the Javan subspesies. If the leopards at the Safari Journey are actually Javan, I don't know why they labelled it as a African while the one at the Big Cat Center are labelled as Javan, why don't they labelled both as a Javan.

They haven't really updated their map. From what I've seen the exhibit now houses either the Javan leopard (Panthera pardus melas) or the Sunda clouded leopard (Neofelis diardi). BSZ's snow leopard are either died or put off display.

Antoine and Kifaru Bwana like this.