Join our zoo community

San Diego Zoo Safari Park List of Species on Exhibit 6-2-15

Discussion in 'United States' started by geomorph, 6 Jun 2015.

1. geomorph

geomorph Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

CONDOR RIDGE: (8 Exhibits)

Aviary:
    Thick-billed Parrot

Aviary:
    Southern Bald Eagle

Netted enclosure with exposed tunnel system behind glass:
    Ocelot

Second netted enclosure with exposed tunnel system behind glass:
    Ocelot

Aviary:
    Western Harris' Hawk

Third netted enclosure with exposed tunnel system behind glass:
    Desert Tortoise
    San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike
    Western Burrowing Owl

Rocky yard:
    Desert Bighorn

Large Aviary:
    California Condor

2. geomorph

WORLD GARDENS: (0 Exhibits)
    This zone does have some views of the Condor Ridge exhibits from the Old World Succulent Garden, Baja Garden, and California Nativescapes Garden. The Przewalski's Horse exhibit in Asian Savanna can also be spotted in the distance, and lucky visitors to the California Nativescapes Garden might spot whatever species is being kept in a nearby off-exhibit yard (I didn't).

This concludes my account of the species on exhibit by the zones named on the map.

3. jibster

jibster Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for this species list, geomorph - I know what a huge undertaking this is (used to do these lists whenever I visited zoos).

I have a few questions based on the collection:

I've always been interested in why the Safari Park switched many species between the East and South African field exhibits many years back (I believe much of the switch occurred in the 1990s). Off the top of my head, I know that the two white rhino subspecies switched exhibits and the white-bearded wildebeest moved to South from East (and black wildebeest left the collection), but I'd be surprised if there were more changes than that. My guess is that the switch of the rhinos may have had to do with space (as the park always held more southern whites and the East enclosure had more space), but I'm not sure, and I have no idea about the wildebeest switch.

Are addra/red-fronted/dama gazelle gone from the collection now? I remember at one point when the zoo still held Mhorr subspecies, the nominate species was on exhibit in the North African exhibit.

Anyone care to try to piece together a list of the various species that have been held in the Park's field exhibits over the years? I know there have been a lot of species lost over the years (although many more of the losses (and many of the most interesting species) were lost from the harder-to-view Asian field exhibits than the African field exhibits), but it would be interesting to get a glimpse of how these exhibits changed over time.

Anyone know what subspecies of sable are now on exhibit? At one point, the zoo had Zambian, while the park had South African.

With the change of the former black rhinoceros exhibit into a southern white rhino exhibit, does this mean that black rhinos are leaving the collection, or is a new exhibit planned?

Several years ago, I recall the park announcing a series of exhibits to be added to the African tram. I don't recall the specifics, but I do remember rhebok and Hartmann's mountain zebra as among the species due to be added. Anyone else recall the details of this announcement and know what happened?

4. jibster

One other question I meant to include in my previous post:

Are Reticulated giraffes now gone from the Park's collection, or is the park managing the rothschild's/reticulated as one population in the East Africa exhibit? I know the park used to keep rothschild's in East and reticulated in South, with masai held only at the zoo.

5. geomorph

jibster,

I do not know the answers to any of your questions except that red-fronted gazelle is still on exhibit with the giant eland!

6. jibster

Thanks, geomorph. Anyone else have any information, or do I have to take a trip out to San Diego myself to investigate? I am overdue for a visit to the Zoo and Safari Park...

7. geomorph

SUMMARY:

By my count, the total number of exhibits (that can be viewed by general admission visitors) currently at San Diego Zoo's Safari Park is: 100

By my count, the total number of species in permanent exhibits is: 197
    The number of species I counted can be broken down into the following categories:
    Mammals: 63
    Birds: 114
    Reptiles: 10
    Amphibians: 3
    Fish: 0
    Insects and Arachnids: 7

8. Thaumatibis

Thaumatibis Well-Known Member

How are the shoebills confined to one island? If the ducks can get on and off it, can't they?

~ Thaumatibis

9. geomorph

Thaumatibis, I think it might be a case of them being trained to stay on the island, or discouraged from wading through slightly deeper water to nearby land, some of which has railings along the shore; I'm not sure! I should clarify that I've always seen them on the island, and all the pictures I've seen of them are on the island!

10. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

I can add to this from my visit yesterday. I got to see the Asian field exhibits.

Exhibit 1.
    Javan Banteng
    Trans-Caspian Urial
    Mandarin Sika
    Blackbuck
    Barasinga

Exhibit 2
    Indian Rhino
    Malayan Sambar
    Bactrian Wapiti
    Nilgai
    Armenian Red Sheep

Side Exhibit 1
    Markhor
    Indochinese Sika

Side Exhibit 2
    Arabian Oryx

Side Exhibit 3
    White-Lipped Deer

Side Exhibit 4
    P. Horse
    Bactrian Camel

I might be off a species or two, but that's fairly close.

11. jibster

Thanks for this jbnbsn. I haven't seen anyone post a list from these now hard-to-see areas for a while.

I have a few questions for you or anyone else about the Asian collection:

I know many species from the Park's (once) amazing Eurasian collection have been shipped out, and I know some of those species, but others I'm not clear on. Anyone have any specific data?

Taxa I have heard have been moved out include: Kulan, Kiang, European Bison, Goitered Gazelle, Sand Gazelle, Siberian Ibex, Mouflon, Saiga, another species or two from the former Mountain exhibit...

Other species I'm not sure of (either haven't heard anything or have heard within the past 5 years or so that they were still part of the collection):
    Javan Rusa, Axis Deer, Eld's Deer, Indian Sambar (I believe - I know the Park used to maintain 2 sambar subspecies), Gaur, Sarus Crane, Japanese Serow, Goral....

Any help would be appreciated. It would be fun to try to compile a complete list of the hoofstock collection from the Park over time - a lot of fantastic species have been lost over time.

12. jbnbsn99

Whoops, I missed the Indian Gaur in the 2nd exhibit. They're still there.

13. jbnbsn99

14. geomorph

jbnbsn99, did you see the "Mountain Coati"?

15. jibster

Thanks for the link, geomorph. 1990 was the first time I went to the park, and this brings back memories of that trip.

16. jbnbsn99

I saw the sign and exhibit and laughed.

17. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

so they are actually saying their animals are Mountain Coatis? It honestly wouldn't have taken them more than three minutes on Google to figure out they weren't. In fact it would have been quicker to find that out than it would have taken to even rough out on paper what they were planning to write on the sign.

18. jbnbsn99

They are indeed. The sign literally says "Nasuella olivacea"

19. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I hope you took a photograph of the sign :p

20. geomorph