Join our zoo community

Little-known fish : the De Jong's basslet

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by vogelcommando, 18 Apr 2017.

1. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Today I made my regular visit to Coralandfishstore - an aquarium-shop in Breda - the Netherlands. As usualy loads of beautifull (coral)fishes and among them I discovered a species I had never seen before ! Not that strange because this species was first discovered 2009 and discribed 2010 ( discription see http://zoolstud.sinica.edu.tw/Journals/49.6/865.pdf ).
    It was discovered in a shipment of fishes recieved by a Dutch fish-dealer and was later named after him.
    Because I had never seen it, I tried to make some photos of it but this proofed to be quite difficult because the single specimen was trying to hide the whole time but some pictures I made give at least an impression how the species looks like ( and are the first of this species in the Gallery ).
    See : Gramma dejongi | ZooChat
    Gramma dejongi | ZooChat
    and made also a short video : https://www.zoochat.com/community/media/20170419_151642.357211/

On Zootierliste the species is not mentioned so it seems not to have been kept in any European collection. Does anyone know if the species has been kept at any American public collection ?

2. vogelcommando

Here another short video of this beautifull species I found on the net :

devilfish likes this.
  3. Zoovolunteer

Zoovolunteer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

vogelcommando likes this.
  4. vogelcommando

5. vogelcommando