Join our zoo community

ZSL London Zoo London's giraffes

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Shirokuma, 8 Sep 2009.

1. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

2. Charliemarwell

Charliemarwell Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you crowthorne

3. Pacu

Pacu Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's correct Molly was born late 2006 and Margaret was born January 2008 both at Chester, by the same father 'Thorn'. Ellish has been there for some time and is hybrid although for some time may have been thought to be Rothschilds.

4. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Here's a fairly obscure question about London's first giraffes, which arrived in May 1836.

Three males and a female "from the Sudan" formed the basis of the zoo's breeding stock for the next 30 years. ZTL suggests that these animals were Kordofan giraffes (G c aniquorum); in John Edwards' fantastic book London Zoo From Old Photographs, they are described as "Nubian or Kordofan Giraffe (G c camelopardalis)". What were those early London animals?

Am I correct in saying that Kordofan giraffes aren't actually found in what we now know as Sudan, while G c camelopardalis is?

5. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

In the “List of Vertebrated Animals Exhibited in the Gardens of the Zoological Society of London” (Centenary Edition; 1929) S. S. Flower records that these giraffes came from the Sudan.

A Record of the Progress of the Zoological Society of London During the Nineteen Century” (1901) gives a more precise location and specifically states that these first four giraffes came from Kordofan.

6. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

A book I'd very much like to own at some point; being out of print and very expensive second-hand, I doubt I'll have it any time soon.

7. Tim May

To the best of my knowledge copies of this book can still be purchased from the ZSL Library; I'll check later.

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The evidence is contradictory. The locality of import for the 3.1 was given as Kordofan (Province?). The 3.0 were listed as antiquorum and 0.1 as camelopardalis.

The type locality for antiquorum is Senaar, Western Sudan and for camelopardalis the historical distribution was given as Eastern Sudan and Western Ethiopia.

Current knowledge on giraffe species distribution has it be known that:
    A) antiquorum is probably restricted to northern Cameroon, CAF (Central African Republic), northern Democratic Congo and likely South Sudan.
    B) camelopardalis is believed to occur from South Sudan to western Ethiopia.

Please NOTE the terms probably .. AND believed .. here!!!

As an aside re. camelopardalis:
    I) Recent genetic studies seem to indicate camelopardalis may not be genetically distinct!!!
    II) The giraffe occuring in South Sudan may actually be from any of 2 other giraffe races species (antiquorum and / or ..).
    III) Formally, camelopardalis may now be extinct across its entire range, BUT its former range also included NW-Kenya, eastern Uganda and western Ethiopia!
    IV) antiquorum occurs in western Sudan and (occured, now perhaps extinct or doubtful) in Kordofan!

9. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Two editions exist. The second, revised, version was published a few years ago (containing extra photos!!!:cool:)

There has been talk of a second volume, covering post 1914-1970s being published. Anyone have any news on that?

10. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A further note of caution regarding the 1836 imports: I would actually concur that all - if the capture locality was in fact Kordofan Province that they were all antiquorums!

11. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

They had plenty of copies of the second edition (hardback) in the London shop at the weekend, although they don't seem to have any on their online shop for some reason.

12. TeaLovingDave

Indeed :) even that one is out of print, although it sounds from what other people are saying that copies are still available if one can afford to travel down to London itself.

13. Tim May

The second edition of this book is definitely not out of print.

Since my post earlier today, I have double checked with the ZSL Library and can confirm it is possible to purchase this book from the library. Moreover, as mentioned by “Crowthorne”, it is also on sale in the London Zoo shop.

It is also possible to buy this book directly from the author, John Edwards. (I will send you a PM giving contact details.) Given that you live a long way from London this will be easier for you.

Yes, there will be a subsequent volume; I understand that this will cover the period 1915 to the early 1960s (not 1970s).

This is currently in preparation but I do not know the scheduled publication date..

14. TeaLovingDave

This has now been rectified:

London Zoo From Old Photographs

Needless to say I have now ordered a copy :) as I discovered this fact subsequent to searching the net for any cheap second-hand copies of the second edition online after managing to pick up a copy of the first edition from Amazon for twenty quid, I shall shortly have both editions!

The first edition arrived in the post yesterday :)

Crowthorne likes this.
  15. TeaLovingDave

And now I have both editions - although as I have noted in this thread there are a few rather terrible misprints in the newer edition :p

16. 14027

14027 Active Member

Can anyone clarify on the species of giraffe held in London Zoo?

Zootierliste lists 1 Rothschild's giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis rothschildi), are the other 2 hybrids?

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The London Giraffe's are all hybrids.