Join our zoo community

Longleat Safari & Adventure Park Longleat Safari Park 2021

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedd Cullinan, 4 Jan 2021.

1. Jedd Cullinan

Jedd Cullinan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Longleat has donated £50,000 to help support conservation programmes for koalas in the wake of the devastating Australian bushfires earlier this year.

A staggering three billion animals, including a third of the entire koala population of New South Wales, were affected by the fires, which swept across an estimated 10 million hectares, the equivalent of 40% of the UK.

Longleat is the only zoological collection in Europe to look after southern koalas, and its purpose-built Koala Creek facility is part of a long-term partnership with the South Australia Government and Cleland Wildlife Park to support research and conservation programmes for wild koalas.

Read the full article here: https://www.longleat.co.uk/news/longleat-donates-£50,000-to-koala-appeal

Last edited by a moderator: 5 Jan 2021
  2. zoosafari123

zoosafari123 Well-Known Member

The Bat Cave is closing permanently:

No mention of what will happen to the kinkajou.

Megan Jones and Jedd Cullinan like this.
  3. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Such a shame, I really liked the atmosphere in there but I guess if they want their Coach House back then the Bat Cave has to go. I hope the bats are transported safely to their new home. I wonder what will happen to the kinkajou / sengi (if they still have a sengi, I don't know).

4. zoosafari123

Yes they still have Sengi, I believe a keeper at Longleat is the studbook keeper for them (I might be wrong), so I can't see them going. The sengi are much easier to move elsewhere at the park than the kinkajou however....

I'm actually gutted the Bat Cave is going, I love it especially when the bats get fed and fly all around you...

Daubentoniidae likes this.
  5. zoosafari123

Been in contact with Longleat, I was wrong about the Sengi - they no longer hold them. The kinkajou have been moved off show but will go back on show later this year.

6. Daubentoniidae

Daubentoniidae Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Ok, well thank you for checking.

7. Jedd Cullinan

Hope the Bats enjoy their new home

8. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The bats will be a great addition to the college they are moving to. Shouldn't be missed too much from Longleat

9. Jedd Cullinan

I know where the bats are going and the college in Devon is called Bicton College

10. Sausagefingers

Sausagefingers Well-Known Member

I studied animal management at Bicton, poor bat's.

Azubaa and zoosafari123 like this.
  11. Jedd Cullinan

12. Elephantelephant

Elephantelephant Well-Known Member

Very touching and beautifully written. She gets really excellent care.

Kifaru Bwana, JT, Embu and 2 others like this.
  13. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've only just read the Facebook article and I'm appalled by the the comments by some people!!! Longleat have done an amazing job with Anne and long may it continue

14. Panthera1981

Panthera1981 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Such is the world we now live in I’m afraid. These people also probably think COVID’s a lie and that Trump won the election.

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In general people have the brains that literally do the toe line. It is where their functional brain capacity ended up. Ignorance is not bliss, but a sorry state of disinformation and personal incapability to grasp the concept of being able to soundly evaluate, make up ones mind nor a decent amount of rationality to their personae.

Rajang-GOAT likes this.
  16. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

@Embu,excuse my uncouth language but I think it’s flipping b*****ks that people are suggesting that Anne’s welfare is not being thought of. Longleat are treating Anne with luxury care. Longleat are careing for Anne so well that she is the eldest Asian Elephant in Europe. Longleat are doing a better job than most Animal collections would in this situation. Rewind a decade and Anne was unable to mobilise her trunk,dragged her hind legs and was incredibly nervous. To Longleat’s credit a decade on Anne is a completely different Elephant in all but biology. Personally I think the people repelling about Anne being at Longleat are just fed up with the coronavirus and subsequent lockdown,and are unfairly venting thier anger and annoyance at Longleat.

In my opinion Anne should live out her senior years at Longleat with her devoted keepers and extraordinary purpose built enclosure. When Anne sadly passes I think Anne’s abode should become the residence of a breeding herd of Asian or African Elephants.

@Embu do you think that Longleat should/will continue to house Elephants post Anne’s demise?

FBBird likes this.
  17. Jedd Cullinan

18. Sausagefingers

I didn't realise they had so many, flet like a small group when walking through to me. Hers hope they thrive at Bicton.

I think Bicton have oversold themselves though, Sparsholt has to be a better land based studies collage surely.

19. Rajang21

Rajang21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I don’t see anything in that article where Bicton claim to be a ‘better’ Institution than Sparsholt?

20. Sausagefingers

'Leading land based facility' was the part I was referencing.